Good idea for placing new speakers?

ka_re_t
Hello!

I just got the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX system and I am trying to figure out the best way to handle the satellites. Between my PC tower and 2 monitors, I simply do not have the desk space for the small speakers (plenty of room for the subwoofer though).

I live in the US and I think I found a solution: these shelves from Target. There's room on the wall behind my desk to put these shelves about 18-24" above my desk. I am just concerned that the shelves may not be strong enough or there is some other risk that I'm not thinking about. Is it a good idea to put the satellites on floating shelves held up by 2 nails each?

32 minutes ago, IPD said:

Floating shelves are fine...IF THEY ARE MOUNTED TO THE STUDS.  If not, they will not support any weight.

Oh and dont forget to put some padding or rubber under the speakers. These shelves are hollow so they can vibrate with the speakers and generate weird sounds

19 hours ago, ka_re_t said:
Hello!

I just got the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX system and I am trying to figure out the best way to handle the satellites. Between my PC tower and 2 monitors, I simply do not have the desk space for the small speakers (plenty of room for the subwoofer though).

Some good suggestions here, but I thought I might give some insight on Klipsch audio products. They have great sound quality, however, the quality of their electronics is another matter. I bought a similar system and it didn't last long at all. They have a real issue with amplifier circuitry to the point I couldn't even find a good used one. I wound up using a cheapie 2.1 mobile amplifier from eBay that lasted much longer. So don't be surprised if the amplifier quits before it's out of warranty.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

13 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

Some good suggestions here, but I thought I might give some insight on Klipch audio products. They have great sound quality, however, the quality of their electronics is another matter. I bought a similar system and it didn't last long at all. They have a real issue with amplifier circuitry to the point I couldn't even find a good used one. I wound up using a cheapie 2.1 mobile amplifier from eBay that lasted much longer. So don't be surprised if the amplifier quits before it's out of warranty.

Most reviews I read prior to purchasing included a few people who've had this system for over a decade, so we'll see how lucky I get.  I noticed a funny smell coming out of the bass port when I first used the product, a smell slightly less strong than what you'd notice if an LED fried itself.  BUT that smell disappeared pretty quickly so I suspect it wasn't actually anything concerning, must be that "new speaker smell" lol

4 hours ago, ka_re_t said:

Most reviews I read prior to purchasing included a few people who've had this system for over a decade, so we'll see how lucky I get.  I noticed a funny smell coming out of the bass port when I first used the product, a smell slightly less strong than what you'd notice if an LED fried itself.  BUT that smell disappeared pretty quickly so I suspect it wasn't actually anything concerning, must be that "new speaker smell" lol

Hopefully you have better luck with yours than I did with mine.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

18 hours ago, IPD said:

Floating shelves are fine...IF THEY ARE MOUNTED TO THE STUDS.  If not, they will not support any weight.

Turns out the studs in my room are 3' apart... gotta love old homes!  Looks like my speakers will be firing into the back of my monitors

4 hours ago, ka_re_t said:

Turns out the studs in my room are 3' apart... gotta love old homes!  Looks like my speakers will be firing into the back of my monitors

I have never heard of 36" centers for studs.  Ever.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 5:00 PM, IPD said:

I have never heard of 36" centers for studs.  Ever.

Heh, that's what happens when a room is added on in the attic

3 hours ago, ka_re_t said:

Heh, that's what happens when a room is added on in the attic

Attics are 24" center studs.

36" sounds like a DIY hatchet job that they hoped nobody would find out about.

if there is room to either side of your desk then you can use some speaker stands. Proline adjustable monitor stands come to mind though there are lots and lots of options. 

You will have a much better experience with your speakers and I've had that exact set by the way. (I got them in 2007 maybe and they still work... my parents have them) if you can get the tweeters angled at your ears and pretty much at the same height as your ears. A bit lower since those speakers are angled up a bit. 

What you're looking for is called stereo imaging. It's when the stereo effect is good enough because the placement is correct enough that you really can't tell that audio isn't coming out of your monitor if both speakers are playing the same sound like for example if someone is talking in a movie. You should be able to close your eyes and point to where the sound is coming from in the context of the media you're consuming. So if you're listening to moving in stereo by the cars you should be able to follow the singer as he moves between speakers. 

If you don't set them up right you just spent a couple hundred dollars on a meh set of whatever I guess it makes sound.