after bringing down the price, not sure an upgrade is worth it?

tsmspace

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

https://newegg.io/a9ed87f

this is a newegg wishlist that represents a version of build I may go for. 

I will use an existing 500w pwr supply, an existing gtx 1050ti, an existing ssd (nvme), existing case. I will plan to upgrade the pwr supply and graphics at a later time, including additional ram. 

this list is the original inquiry https://newegg.io/6b380b53

and this is a ddr5 option, but not really since the motherboard will need to be double in price, imo. https://newegg.io/2d349c6

I have an i7 4790k, 16gb ddr3, sata ssd,  ,,, it has it's weaknesses but as internet and silly games it works fine. although it's only 300$ to move to the i5 12400 ,, is it even worth it? Or would I find more value in the i7 12700f? 

i5 12400 , MSI b660 pro-a, 32g 3200 , rtx 3060, 1tb wdblack sn270

I gave my dad: rogstrix b350-f gaming, r5 2600, corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4 2400, gtx 980 ti , he has minecraft, halo infinite, and collects his own photography. he had a "worst laptop in store special" that finishes loading your mouse movement, but not really much else. 

games: Starmade, Velocidrone, Minecraft, Astrokill, Liftoff, ThrustandShoot, , Infinity Battlescape, Flight of Nova, Orbital Racer

12400 is a much better processor than the 12100, for sure. Not to mention that 12700. Honestly for bang for the buck in games it's very hard to beat the 12600k, that'll get you to top tier gaming perf on the processor side.

Otherwise your list looks just fine to me.

Depends what you do with your PC.

If you're not upgrading your GPU, the i3 is more balanced, but I'm not sure it'll be an outstanding upgrade. You're going to be held back by the 1050.

Don't bother with DDR5.

If you're on a budget, buy used hardware.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Depends what you do with your PC.

If you're not upgrading your GPU, the i3 is more balanced, but I'm not sure it'll be an outstanding upgrade. You're going to be held back by the 1050.

Don't bother with DDR5.

If you're on a budget, buy used hardware.

I will upgrade the gpu but not for a few weeks at least. income based upgrading, basically.

I gave my dad: rogstrix b350-f gaming, r5 2600, corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4 2400, gtx 980 ti , he has minecraft, halo infinite, and collects his own photography. he had a "worst laptop in store special" that finishes loading your mouse movement, but not really much else. 

games: Starmade, Velocidrone, Minecraft, Astrokill, Liftoff, ThrustandShoot, , Infinity Battlescape, Flight of Nova, Orbital Racer

2 minutes ago, tsmspace said:

I will upgrade the gpu but not for a few weeks at least. income based upgrading, basically.

If you're dumping a substantial amount of your income into upgrading, all the more reason to save money and buy used.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

If you're dumping a substantial amount of your income into upgrading, all the more reason to save money and buy used.

the used market is tougher here in hawaii because of shipping

it can be done but its' riskier. My pc now is used and good, but I did need to fixerupper

4 minutes ago, tsmspace said:

it can be done but its' riskier. My pc now is used and good, but I did need to fixerupper

It's not that bad, just buy from eBay. Shipping to Hawaii is significantly cheaper than shipping to Canada from the US, and I get steals all the time.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

So, if you're gonna keep using old parts mixed with new (for a while at least) I would /strongly/ suggest a NON-F sku CPU.

As for upgrading:  the 12400 is straight up /much/ faster than a 9700k, let alone your 4th gen chip.  That is a HUGE upgrade by itself.  Unless you're planning to get into video editing, or other CPU-Heavy tasks?  Going to a 12700 would absolutely not benefit you.

Getting the 12400 + 16GB RAM and a reasonably priced B660 board would 110% be an amazing upgrade.  If you're trying to save a few bucks for now:  Use the Stock cooler on the CPU, and get something better down the road.  The Stock cooler won't keep the chip cold, but it will run it fine.

One question:  4th gen did NOT support NVME drives yet, and you mention one on your build?  

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

So, if you're gonna keep using old parts mixed with new (for a while at least) I would /strongly/ suggest a NON-F sku CPU.

As for upgrading:  the 12400 is straight up /much/ faster than a 9700k, let alone your 4th gen chip.  That is a HUGE upgrade by itself.  Unless you're planning to get into video editing, or other CPU-Heavy tasks?  Going to a 12700 would absolutely not benefit you.

Getting the 12400 + 16GB RAM and a reasonably priced B660 board would 110% be an amazing upgrade.  If you're trying to save a few bucks for now:  Use the Stock cooler on the CPU, and get something better down the road.  The Stock cooler won't keep the chip cold, but it will run it fine.

One question:  4th gen did NOT support NVME drives yet, and you mention one on your build?  

I have one though. new in box. wd black sn750. 1tb. a little old but what I'm going with

4 minutes ago, tkitch said:

I will be making a handful of videos ever at all. It's all centered on an arduino project, and I do want to record gameplay with webcam in the corner, and have both short and long videos where I talk about the arduino project. So,,, not regular, just occasional.

6 minutes ago, tkitch said:

that would put my whole initial step up to the new platform at like, 300$, very affordable. Do you think a 500w psu is adequate? for the i5 12400, a gtx 1050ti, etc.

3 minutes ago, tsmspace said:

I will be making a handful of videos ever at all. It's all centered on an arduino project, and I do want to record gameplay with webcam in the corner, and have both short and long videos where I talk about the arduino project. So,,, not regular, just occasional.

then a 12700 would not be a worthwhile cpu upgrade over the 12400. 

A 1050TI + a 12400?  Will do just fine on a 500W.

If you upgrade past a 3060?  you'll need a better PSU.  Even a 3060 would be pushing a 500W.  

(Also:  Edit to add more to posts, don't chain quote for no reason.) 

22 hours ago, tkitch said:

then a 12700 would not be a worthwhile cpu upgrade over the 12400. 

A 1050TI + a 12400?  Will do just fine on a 500W.

If you upgrade past a 3060?  you'll need a better PSU.  Even a 3060 would be pushing a 500W.  

(Also:  Edit to add more to posts, don't chain quote for no reason.) 

I purchased. I'm looking to feel the burn. 

Basically, anything I should have known,, I want to know. I feel ram is a big area of interest here,, but then again, 50$ on ram isn't the end of the world if later it is lost, but I went with a 4-slot board so I can just add another kit. If I should upgrade the ram speed I will probably think it's a party. 

MSI b660 pro a (not m) 

i5 12400  w/stock cooler

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 

parts I already have: 

-corsair cx650m 

-wdblack 270 nvme 1tb

I will use my (oops) cx650m psu. ok so I have a 500w psu on the shelf. I guess I forgot I bought this one back in the day. 

gtx 1050ti for now. maybe not long though. the rx 6600 looks popular and low power consumption. I wonder if a nice 2060 isn't better though. 

I have a cooler master tower cooler on there now, I wonder if a cheap bracket is better or should I just get a new cooler. it's on an lga1150 so not sure what that can mean. 

overall it rang it a bit over 400$ , and I think it will be a nice computer. I can worry about graphics and cooler at the same time maybe in the near future, maybe before I actually build it, depending on how busy I am and how much I want to be involved in having my computer down and apart for a day, followed by setup and drivers etc. 

now my biggest problem is that the front panel io is bust on the the case. it's an x-strike one. I basically have to run everything from the motherboard back panel as is. I have bought some cheap aliexpress usb and audio jacks but they are legitimately cheapy. Maybe x-strike has a rebuild kit for the io. I have done that before on another case. (ordered replacement io)

edit:: I found an rtx 3060 in my area for 305. I am going to try for that on friday, we've talked and it looks like we are scheduled. I went ahead and ordered another 16gb so I will be at 32gb of 3200, and now will only need a cooler upgrade to be all the way up and maxed out, so I may just go for one. 

On 8/23/2022 at 9:42 AM, tsmspace said:

Check facebook marketplace with location set to near schofield.  TONS of dudes with expendable income dumping slightly used hardware back when I lived there.  If you can’t get on post just tell em to meet you at mcdonalds in wahiawa

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.