Adding more Ethernet Ports through Modem

PrathamG
Go to solution Solved by Kid.Lazer,

If it's company provided, I would recommend you NOT to mess with it. Either buy a switch as @Zalosath mentioned, or ask the company to make any modifications. You don't want to be messing with things you don't own.

Hi there,

Im really not a genius in the Networking dept., my home has a company provided internet connection, and my rooms have 2 ethernet ports each. But in each room only one if them has been activated, so I’m looking if i can activate the other ports by myself, as the customer service sucks.

Pls let me know if you need any more info

3 minutes ago, PrathamG said:

Hi there,

Im really not a genius in the Networking dept., my home has a company provided internet connection, and my rooms have 2 ethernet ports each. But in each room only one if them has been activated, so I’m looking if i can activate the other ports by myself, as the customer service sucks.

You could avoid the problem all together and just get a switch.

Chances are that the problem with the other port is on their end.

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

Just now, Zalosath said:

You could avoid the problem all together and just get a switch.

Sorry, what do you mean

Just now, PrathamG said:

Sorry, what do you mean

A network switch, you can buy them on amazon, you can plug your working ethernet into the switch to get more ports.

Here's an example switch

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

Just now, Zalosath said:

A network switch, you can buy them on amazon, you can plug your working ethernet into the switch to get more ports.

Here's an example switch

Okay makes sense

But you see my port is on the other side of the room and the one i want is on the opposite side.

If a switch works, so does a long ethernet cable work too right?

It would mess my room, sorry is there any way i can modify the modem in my house?

If it's company provided, I would recommend you NOT to mess with it. Either buy a switch as @Zalosath mentioned, or ask the company to make any modifications. You don't want to be messing with things you don't own.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

29 minutes ago, PrathamG said:

Hi there,

So let's go through what you said 

my home has a company provided internet connection  = what does this mean?  Is the company paying for your internet connection? Is it some special internet provider or just Comcast, AT&T , Verizone, whatever? 

my rooms have 2 ethernet ports each  = is this your house, or are you renting, are you staying in company provided housing? 

The internet connection comes to you through some kind of modem or some device ... fiber or coaxial cable or phone lines come into that modem (or box whatever you want to call it) , and the modem generally acts as a wireless access point so you can connect wireless devices to it, and also has one more more regular ethernet ports on it. 

Your room has two ethernet ports. Well, each of those ports has some ethernet cable going somewhere to a main control panel of some sort, a cupboard or some box where all the cables from all the rooms would come to. 

The cables are probably connected to a patch panel of some sort, and what probably happened is that when they installed the internet for you they probably connected a cable between the modem AND that ONE cable going to the ethernet port in your room.  

If the modem has multiple ethernet ports in the back, you could probably take a second ethernet cable and make a connection between the modem and the port on the patch panel that goes to the other ethernet jack in your room.

OR, you could buy a network switch  ... connect all the cables from all the rooms to the ethernet switch, then make a connection between the switch and the modem supplied by the internet provider. 

You're not providing enough information for us to give you a precise answer ... so figure out first where the cables from all the room connectors go, how they're terminated there, if you have a switch or not, look on the back of that box the ISP gave you see if there's more ethernet connectors ... and go from there.

Thanks for the help,

After going through some research, just changed some cables around my modem and was able to activate another wall port in my room.