Ubiquiti WiFi 6 AP only 200Mbps??

Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
46 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I found mine was kind of slow until I increased the 5Ghz channel width. Maybe try that? 

That too, if you're looking for anything like 800Mbit you likely need 80Mhz channel width, with some clients I've even needed 160Mhz even though 80Mhz should have been enough.

Hi all

I have a couple of Ubiquiti WiFi 6 Long range and Lite Access Points around my house and after setting them up I found I was only able to get between 200Mbps to 300Mbps maximum.  I set them up with most of the settings on default or auto.  These access points should easily be able to do 500Mbps+ (which is also my internet speed).  I did an environment scan (see picture), so maybe theres too much congestion on a channel?  But my access points are around channel 48 and theres no 5G interference around those channels??  I ran the speed test on a 5Ghz Network.

I am not sure what the problem could be?

Also I'm new to Ubiquiti gear so its likely I missed something.

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 8.48.00 PM.jpg

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

1 hour ago, PenguinMaster said:

Hi all

I have a couple of Ubiquiti WiFi 6 Long range and Lite Access Points around my house and after setting them up I found I was only able to get between 200Mbps to 300Mbps maximum.  I set them up with most of the settings on default or auto.  These access points should easily be able to do 500Mbps+ (which is also my internet speed).  I did an environment scan (see picture), so maybe theres too much congestion on a channel?  But my access points are around channel 48 and theres no 5G interference around those channels??  I ran the speed test on a 5Ghz Network.

I am not sure what the problem could be?

Also I'm new to Ubiquiti gear so its likely I missed something.

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 8.48.00 PM.jpg

Is that with them running, as its not showing anything on channel 48?  The only thing I see is on Band C and a LOT of clients wont see them if they are there as they were certified back when Band C was licensed only and don't want to spend the money to get re-licensed now Band C is free to use in some countries.

The easiest way to be sure is to set the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios to different SSIDs, so you can tell more easily if you are connecting at 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.  I'd expect 200-300Mbit to be a case that you're connecting at 2.4Ghz and getting a well above average result due to little interfererence.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

46 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I found mine was kind of slow until I increased the 5Ghz channel width. Maybe try that? 

That too, if you're looking for anything like 800Mbit you likely need 80Mhz channel width, with some clients I've even needed 160Mhz even though 80Mhz should have been enough.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

35 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

THATS IT!! Increasing from 40Mhz to 80Mhz increased my speed from 200Mbps to 300Mbps and when I pushed it to 160Mhz it went up to 400Mbps - through two walls!

EDIT: Nvm the 400Mbps was a fluke.  I ran the test a second time and it went right back to 300Mbps. Disappointing 😞

1 hour ago, PenguinMaster said:

THATS IT!! Increasing from 40Mhz to 80Mhz increased my speed from 200Mbps to 300Mbps and when I pushed it to 160Mhz it went up to 400Mbps - through two walls!

EDIT: Nvm the 400Mbps was a fluke.  I ran the test a second time and it went right back to 300Mbps. Disappointing 😞

What client(s) are you trying?

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

What client(s) are you trying?

An iPhone 13 Pro and an M1 MacBook Pro

4 hours ago, PenguinMaster said:

An iPhone 13 Pro and an M1 MacBook Pro

Well I know Apple do not support 160Mhz, so that may limit the speed, although the wider the channel width the more likely you are to have problems at range.

You mentioned through two walls, I assume you tried in the same room as the Access Point too?  As losing half your speed (or even most of it) through two walls is not that unusual.

5 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Well I know Apple do not support 160Mhz, so that may limit the speed, although the wider the channel width the more likely you are to have problems at range.

You mentioned through two walls, I assume you tried in the same room as the Access Point too?  As losing half your speed (or even most of it) through two walls is not that unusual.

I played around with the channel settings a little bit and I got it to work.  Now I am seeing 500Mbps+ when a couple of feet away from the access points.  There is this new weird issue happening though on my IoT network.  My google Nest Hub keeps creating random MAC addresses.  It created 3 so far... I click "forget" and they come right back.  Theres no traffic going through it either.