A Hyper Specific Type of Benchmarking.

Hey guys,

I have just agreed to upgrade all of the computers in my company, but the problem is figuring out what computers to get! (I am not actually looking for what computer to buy, please hang in there). Some back story. We receive very large models that we import and edit with a variety of software. and sometimes the files we get are upwards of 2 gigabytes per piece. So when they are opened or being worked on they freeze or cause the computer to hang. What I would like to do is to put some sort of program on the computer that just runs in the background and writes logs that tells me where the bottlenecks are while we are working on each specific type of file. that way I can look for components that would elevate those specific issues. Then i could run tests with other components to see if those issues are solved by changing what ever part (or parts)  specifically causing the bottleneck. Thanks in advance. and sorry if this is a stupid question. 

Thanks in advance!

What os are you running? Perfmonitor in windows can show and log resource usage in windows.

But its not always as simple as seeing what device is used the most and buying a faster version, as lots of aspects that affect performance aren't reflected in the usage % of a device.

Probably worth asking the software manufacture for hardware recommendations, or renting hardware to test performance with in a cloud or similar setup.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What os are you running? Perfmonitor in windows can show and log resource usage in windows.

But its not always as simple as seeing what device is used the most and buying a faster version, as lots of aspects that affect performance aren't reflected in the usage % of a device.

Probably worth asking the software manufacture for hardware recommendations, or renting hardware to test performance with in a cloud or similar setup.

It is windows. Ill look into Perfmonitor! I wasn't necessarily just talking about usage percentage i guess. But i am not sure I know a better metric. Any ideas on better ways or metrics to use in that scenario? I have looked (and talked) to the software manufactures (Autodesk) about it. however our use case of said products is rather niche and having tried there recommendations, it was not extremely helpful.  

Thanks

9 minutes ago, jcarter1105 said:

It is windows. Ill look into Perfmonitor! I wasn't necessarily just talking about usage percentage i guess. But i am not sure I know a better metric. Any ideas on better ways or metrics to use in that scenario? I have looked (and talked) to the software manufactures (Autodesk) about it. however our use case of said products is rather niche and having tried there recommendations, it was not extremely helpful.  

Thanks

Id probably just go for a fairly generic workstation config here then, depending on budget.

A fairly high clocked cpu, get more cores if you need them for rending, midrange pro series gpu, fast ssd storage, or network storage if you use that, 32gb/64gb+ of ram. Unless your doing something pretty weird, that config should be pretty close to as fast as you can get for those uses.

When the computers freeze or hang what usge do you see in task manager.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably just go for a fairly generic workstation config here then, depending on budget.

A fairly high clocked cpu, get more cores if you need them for rending, midrange pro series gpu, fast ssd storage, or network storage if you use that, 32gb/64gb+ of ram. Unless your doing something pretty weird, that config should be pretty close to as fast as you can get for those uses.

When the computers freeze or hang what usge do you see in task manager.

i do appreciate the input. however that isn't really what I wanted to know. I more so want a program that will tell me in theory keeps a log of what the computer is doing and its effects on the hardware where performance is concerned. So i would want it to record when things freeze or hang and what process that is happening for, but also the general usage data as well.