SFP+ Compatibility

Dschulz72

Hey all. I'm fairly new to the NAS and home server world. I've been running Unraid on my server for about a year now, and I'm starting to add more services to my machine. 

Since I'm adding more services/devices and I just moved into a new place, I intended to upgrade the link from my unraid box to my switch to 10GbE. So I bought a Dell Poweredge 6224 switch and a Mellanox ConnectX-3 SFP+ NIC. I wired them up using a Dell active DAC cable and just nothing. No lights, no connection, nothing. I think I bought the wrong cable to connect them, but I'm not sure. I did order a passive cable that should be here in a day or so. Documentation on this stuff is pretty dense.

Anyone out there know what I'm doing wrong? I realize SFP/SFP+/QSFP isn't as straightforward as RJ45. 

AsRock z77 Pro3, i5 3570K@4.6GHz, PNY GTX 1060 6GB, Lite-on 256 GB SSD, Acer 257HU 1440p monitor, Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu 16.04. All in a weird OLD Lian Li case.

Did you configure the ports? I'm pretty sure the dell ports need to be brought up and are shutdown by default.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If I select the port in the web interface it shows the link as 'Down' but the admin status is 'Enable'.

AsRock z77 Pro3, i5 3570K@4.6GHz, PNY GTX 1060 6GB, Lite-on 256 GB SSD, Acer 257HU 1440p monitor, Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu 16.04. All in a weird OLD Lian Li case.

10 minutes ago, Dschulz72 said:

If I select the port in the web interface it shows the link as 'Down' but the admin status is 'Enable'.

Enable or enabled? If the first then they are still off

It says 'Enable', not 'Enabled'. It is a drop-down; the options are just 'Enable' and 'Disable'. Would it be fair to wait for the new (passive) DAC cable?

I wouldn't even bother with SFP+ really with UnRAID, unless youre writing/reading a lot from cache pools. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I could see a scenario in the near future where this server is simultaneously:

1. Running/streaming a VM to a LAN client (from the NVME cache)

2. Running a 4K Plex stream to a LAN client

3. Handling 5 security camera streams to a separate cache pool

I thought this would be an appropriate time to try 10Gb, especially since I'm doing CAT6 runs though my house, but link aggregation would be another option. 

I'll also note that the Unraid box does seem to see and properly identify the Mellanox card. 

4 hours ago, Dschulz72 said:

I could see a scenario in the near future where this server is simultaneously:

1. Running/streaming a VM to a LAN client (from the NVME cache)

2. Running a 4K Plex stream to a LAN client

3. Handling 5 security camera streams to a separate cache pool

I thought this would be an appropriate time to try 10Gb, especially since I'm doing CAT6 runs though my house, but link aggregation would be another option. 

I'll also note that the Unraid box does seem to see and properly identify the Mellanox card. 

The “issue” with unraid is, it’s really just not set up to be performant like this. Unraid is a nice simple solution for home users who want to have a fancy JBOD. Something like ZFS (truenas) would actually be able to perform fast enough to make faster networking more worth while. 

With that said, remote access to a VM takes effectively no bandwidth, you are basically just streaming video. 4k Plex is the same, the biggest file you will ever have is a full bluray rip; I don’t think any of mine are more then ~80Mb/s, which is not even 1/10th of what gigabit will do. And some IP cameras, unless your recording them all in uncompressed 4k (your not), won’t be an issue either, seeing as a full HDR bluray with full atmos audio stream is only ~80Mbps, IP cameras are in the single, maybe just breaking into double digit Mbps.

You probably don’t really need nvme cache, or even SSD cache for much of this. VM’s should certainly live on SSD, nvme > sata of course, but it certainly is not needed and will not really help much.

The “issue” (but also massive benefit depending on your outlook) is that unraid is not actually RAID; it’s a “fancy JBOD with redundancy”. This means you really don’t get speed increases like you do with RAID, and where ZFS has ARC, unraid does not (you can add cache drives, which is how people speed up their pools, but honestly reading out home user data from harddrives with no cache can typically saturate gigabit anyways, and attempting to write to harddrives in any sort of random way over a network is just going to be a not fun time)

You should certainly use SSD’s for running rocker containers and VM’s, but probably don’t need to store your IP camera data onto SSD, that should just go to spinning rust. And while 10GbE is nice, it likely won’t make much of a difference with an unraid setup for the reasons listed above; and none of the use cases really “need” it anyways. Obviously who am I to say faster isn’t better; I am looking into 10GbE myself for a direct connection between PC and Truenas, but I’d like to start editing my photos directly off my NAS, with a full SSD ZFS vdev over iSCSI instead of your normal SMB. For that use case, I have an argument for myself to actually do it. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

All very good points, @LIGISTX

I should clarify that the IP cameras are writing to two WD Purple Drives, they've just been placed in a 'cache pool' in Unraid, separate from the main array. 

The main array has 2x NVME 1.92TB enterprise drives as a cache already. If I'm being honest, I also just want to see numbers above 1Gbps on file copies. XD Especially because I already have the hardware (in theory) to make it happen. I might explore TrueNAS/ZFS in a future adventure if I feel like Unraid isn't meeting my needs. 

So even if it's not super necessary, I think it's fun to play with hardware, and maybe I'll find a better use for it sometime down the line. 

2 hours ago, Dschulz72 said:

All very good points, @LIGISTX

I should clarify that the IP cameras are writing to two WD Purple Drives, they've just been placed in a 'cache pool' in Unraid, separate from the main array. 

The main array has 2x NVME 1.92TB enterprise drives as a cache already. If I'm being honest, I also just want to see numbers above 1Gbps on file copies. XD Especially because I already have the hardware (in theory) to make it happen. I might explore TrueNAS/ZFS in a future adventure if I feel like Unraid isn't meeting my needs. 

So even if it's not super necessary, I think it's fun to play with hardware, and maybe I'll find a better use for it sometime down the line. 

I admit I’m not very familiar with how unraid works. I don’t know why you would put spinning rust as a cache pool, and how it isn’t going to try and actually use that as cache for your main array. Or why you wouldn’t just add drives to the main array and save the IP cam footage to the main array. But, I’m sure there is a reason, just a bit strange to me. 

And I get it, I definitely don’t need the homelab hardware I have, but it sure is fun to play with. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air