Best cpu or gpu for this desktop?

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
Just now, DietzDiet said:

So it would be a good deal? 

yes, especially if you sell that other GT 730. You might be able to get like $15 for it.

45 minutes ago, DietzDiet said:

i hadnt installed the phenom yet lol, i hadnt even bought it, btw is the i3 gt combo way better then the athlon gt?

Yes the i3 is faster than the Athlon. It's newer, and it came from a generation when Intel was ahead in performance 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, DietzDiet said:

A GT730 has more cuda cores, faster ram, and a revised version of the Kepler architecture. The K420 is a lot slower than a GT 730

I'm seeing related listings for the GTX 745 in the sidebar

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115486252436?hash=item1ae3845d94%3Ag%3AygIAAOS

not a bad alternative. Much higher GPU clock than the GT 730 and newer architecture.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

11 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

A GT730 has more cuda cores, faster ram, and a revised version of the Kepler architecture. The K420 is a lot slower than a GT 730

I'm seeing related listings for the GTX 745 in the sidebar

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115486252436?hash=item1ae3845d94%3Ag%3AygIAAOS

not a bad alternative. Much higher GPU clock than the GT 730 and newer architecture.

so the 745 is compatible and faster? edit: i just realized its a gtx not a gt lol now if i get it i can say i am a gtx user instead of gt also is https://www.ebay.com/itm/225120119975?epid=1954577636&hash=item346a346ca7:g:yFcAAOSwGiFi6F6R&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAkJ1uaI%2BU%2F6k37c9Rxp94ssBEBcr8cB8fazI3tSMp%2BfEz8FW2fiYAQMXw2SzjQ%2BIz5vkPoniTTNapAn9f7Eu44HUlFgcB27eVJT3TWqIQW2N%2BnTrBow89LgdZKe%2B8bp1v0%2BctGOtfmbikKWlxCDBGt0f4kx6SmMoJCsoe%2Bfz2f1Uw2LN9FkBJK9CEXxh7oCwbhA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_D5u8DUYA this one good?

3 minutes ago, DietzDiet said:

If you're confident that you can bid and get that for under $38, then yeah go for it. Also consider bids on GTX 750 too (make sure you don't bid on something that says "box only" lol)

By the way, you can condense your links in LTT posts too. If you click on the link while editing your post, and click the chain link icon, you can change "link text" to be anything and I usually shorten my eBay links a lot

Screenshot_20220815-192641_Chrome.jpg.8b61a7fd9d2731ebf13c05f6559d2228.jpg

Primary PC:

11 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

If you're confident that you can bid and get that for under $38, then yeah go for it. Also consider bids on GTX 750 too (make sure you don't bid on something that says "box only" lol)

By the way, you can condense your links in LTT posts too. If you click on the link while editing your post, and click the chain link icon, you can change "link text" to be anything and I usually shorten my eBay links a lot

Screenshot_20220815-192641_Chrome.jpg.8b61a7fd9d2731ebf13c05f6559d2228.jpg

wait so if i get a 750 i wont need to upgrade psu? And will a gtx 660 ti be better? according to this benchmark link. 

1 hour ago, DietzDiet said:

wait so if i get a 750 i wont need to upgrade psu? And will a gtx 660 ti be better? according to this benchmark link. 

User benchmark is pretty crap as a website, but yes a GTX 660 TI will be faster. A lot more cuda cores and only one generation older. Only thing is a 660 TI will consume more power, and needs a PCIe power connector. The reason I've been recommending a GTX 750 and under is because of the very low power draw.

If you purchase the GTX 745, would it go in the PC that has the i3-2120? What power supply does that have?

Primary PC:

13 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

User benchmark is pretty crap as a website, but yes a GTX 660 TI will be faster. A lot more cuda cores and only one generation older. Only thing is a 660 TI will consume more power, and needs a PCIe power connector. The reason I've been recommending a GTX 750 and under is because of the very low power draw.

If you purchase the GTX 745, would it go in the PC that has the i3-2120? What power supply does that have?

200 watt too i wanna test it in the athlon one first since that one is already opened up, the motherboard and stuff is in its case its just visible i took the case off a while ago but then i wanna use it in the i3

1 minute ago, DietzDiet said:

200 watt too i wanna test it in the athlon one first since that one is already opened up, the motherboard and stuff is in its case its just visible i took the case off a while ago but then i wanna use it in the i3

The i3 will consume quite a lot less power so it would be even less of a concern in that system.

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, DietzDiet said:

A GTX 750 TI for $30 is great, compared to a GTX 745 for $25. It's way faster. I use one in my secondary PC.

4 minutes ago, DietzDiet said:

You can't power a GTX 770 on 200 watts 

Primary PC:

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

A GTX 750 TI for $30 is great, compared to a GTX 745 for $25. It's way faster. I use one in my secondary PC.

You can't power a GTX 770 on 200 watts 

also will a 1030 work with a 200 watt psu cuz i am thinking to buy the 730s sell both of them then buy a $33 1030 or a $37 750

4 minutes ago, DietzDiet said:

also will a 1030 work with a 200 watt psu cuz i am thinking to buy the 730s sell both of them then buy a $33 1030 or a $37 750

The GTX 750 is faster than a GT 1030 by a little bit. The GTX 750 TI comfortably beats it 

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

The GTX 750 is faster than a GT 1030 by a little bit. The GTX 750 TI comfortably beats it 

will the 1030 be a slightly better option tho? its ddr5 and will it be compatible

14 minutes ago, DietzDiet said:

will the 1030 be a slightly better option tho? its ddr5 and will it be compatible

DDR5 doesn't matter. If you watch videos comparing raw performance, you'll see that the 1030 is slower.

Primary PC:

42 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

DDR5 doesn't matter. If you watch videos comparing raw performance, you'll see that the 1030 is slower.

so i should get the 750 ti with my 200 watt psu? sorry i keep asking

46 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

also i just realized the 750 says It’s been a while since I used it, don’t have a desktop to test it. It’s just been sitting in a drawer for 5 years. Buy as is. so seems kinda sus the 745 has a short desc and 1 photo

If the GPU hasn't been tested in 5 years I wouldn't trust it. If the seller lets you test it before buying that would be good. Not sure if you wanted to buy this locally or ship it to yourself.

so i should get the 750 ti with my 200 watt psu

I looked up some power consumption numbers on your CPU on older setups. With a GPU it looks like it was under 200 watts power consumption 

Primary PC:

17 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

If the GPU hasn't been tested in 5 years I wouldn't trust it. If the seller lets you test it before buying that would be good. Not sure if you wanted to buy this locally or ship it to yourself.

I looked up some power consumption numbers on your CPU on older setups. With a GPU it looks like it was under 200 watts power consumption 

how would i look it up? also so now my options are a $13 gtx 745or a $30 gt 1030 which should i choose? also pogg the phenom is now $26 total its like 30-50 on ebay and amazon 

now my options are a $13 gtx 745or a $30 gt 1030 which should i choose?

If money is tight, get the GTX 745. There's not much difference in performance between that and the 1030. Save the leftover money for a future upgrade. Does your system have an SSD? If not, that's a great thing to add.

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

If money is tight, get the GTX 745. There's not much difference in performance between that and the 1030. Save the leftover money for a future upgrade. Does your system have an SSD? If not, that's a great thing to add.

not yet planning to get it next time and also what motherboard do u think this is? what will be a good compatible cpu for these and this image.png.9cfbbec24ab1b98057c658b1664035d2.pngimage.png.99722f1b3be6729ba902f40b2dad5d4d.png

what will be a good compatible cpu for these and this 

You have two computers, are you planning to buy two more?

Do yourself a favor and avoid that prebuilt green crap motherboard. Your current problem is that you are constrained by a power supply that sucks and an OEM system with CPU restrictions. With the Gigabyte AX370M-ds3h, your limit is what you can afford. With the green crap motherboard, it says in the title 3rd gen only which means that motherboard is only compatible with a sliver of Ryzen products.

If it were me, I'd get that X370 motherboard, a cheap first gen Ryzen CPU like a R5 1400 or 1600, and set up an new system from the ground up.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

You have two computers, are you planning to buy two more?

Do yourself a favor and avoid that prebuilt green crap motherboard. Your current problem is that you are constrained by a power supply that sucks and an OEM system with CPU restrictions. With the Gigabyte AX370M-ds3h, your limit is what you can afford. With the green crap motherboard, it says in the title 3rd gen only which means that motherboard is only compatible with a sliver of Ryzen products.

If it were me, I'd get that X370 motherboard, a cheap first gen Ryzen CPU like a R5 1400 or 1600, and set up an new system from the ground up.

i have more then to computers... i just wanna build one since the other ones are old/broken/slow an d arent the 1400 and 1600 slow for gaming? are they better then a i5-7200u

Just now, DietzDiet said:

have more then to computers... i just wanna build one since the other ones are old/broken/slow

Alright then let's make it a good one. A used Ryzen motherboard is the best starting point in my opinion because it's cheap and versatile.

arent the 1400 and 1600 slow for gaming? are they better then a i5-7200u

I just made a build for a client recently with a used 1600. They are far from too slow, with some nice speedy DDR4 alongside a decent graphics card they'll get the job done just fine. They are much better than a mobile i5 like that, it's on an older architecture and it's constrained by a low power limit. 

The best part of a cheap Ryzen CPU is that the motherboard (assuming you don't get OEM crap) can support many generations, and you have a lot of room in the future to improve performance.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Alright then let's make it a good one. A used Ryzen motherboard is the best starting point in my opinion because it's cheap and versatile.

I just made a build for a client recently with a used 1600. They are far from too slow, with some nice speedy DDR4 alongside a decent graphics card they'll get the job done just fine. They are much better than a mobile i5 like that, it's on an older architecture and it's constrained by a low power limit. 

The best part of a cheap Ryzen CPU is that the motherboard (assuming you don't get OEM crap) can support many generations, and you have a lot of room in the future to improve performance.

is this build fine? for the motherboard ill probably lower the price a lot buying used items btw