Best cpu or gpu for this desktop?

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
Just now, DietzDiet said:

So it would be a good deal?聽

yes, especially if you sell that other GT 730. You might be able to get like $15 for it.

Whats the best cpu or gpu for the hp pavilion p6654y? It's motherboard is聽Foxconn 2AB1 btw i have 8 gigs on it聽

5 minutes ago, DietzDiet said:

motherboard is聽Foxconn 2AB1

Just googled the support list for this mobo

Screenshot_20220813-150922_Chrome.jpg.f4548d8087899ebdb599f34b72e3c19d.jpg

Looks like the 1065T would be your best bet. Of course if you get a 1055T for a lot cheaper, would probably be a better pick value-wise. And if you're already upgrading from a 6 core Phenom CPU, I wouldn't bother because you won't see a very large performance gain.

Best GPU you could use depends on how good your power supply is. But I wouldn't go stuffing a 3090 in this thing. Consider a used RX 470 or 570, they tend to pair well with older CPUs聽

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black聽(with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux聽- Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I need?聽ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explained,聽group reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Looks like the 1065T would be your best bet. Of course if you get a 1055T for a lot cheaper, would probably be a better pick value-wise. And if you're already upgrading from a 6 core Phenom CPU, I wouldn't bother because you won't see a very large performance gain.

Best GPU you could use depends on how good your power supply is. But I wouldn't go stuffing a 3090 in this thing. Consider a used RX 470 or 570, they tend to pair well with older CPUs聽

would they work with a 200 watt psu and would the performance increase and cpu usage decrease? cuz i am getting like 60-90% cpu usage with a broswer lol

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/c3b7fd0a-73c3-3ecb-a289-901e8d38b307?q=amd+phenom+1055t聽and is this a good deal? is it a scam

4 minutes ago, DietzDiet said:

would they work with a 200 watt psu and would the performance increase and cpu usage decrease? cuz i am getting like 60-90% cpu usage with a broswer lol

What CPU are you currently using? 200 watts is pretty low, you don't have much room to upgrade.

3 minutes ago, DietzDiet said:

Seems like the normal price for these CPUs.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black聽(with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux聽- Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I need?聽ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explained,聽group reg is bad

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

What CPU are you currently using? 200 watts is pretty low, you don't have much room to upgrade.

Seems like the normal price for these CPUs.

I have a 300 watt psu from a old emachines tho idk how to replace it

7 minutes ago, DietzDiet said:

I have a 300 watt psu from a old emachines tho idk how to replace it

are you upgrading for the purposes of gaming, or just to make your overall experience better? This motherboard looks like it uses standard ATX connectors, so you should be able to use any standard power supply.

Primary PC:

42 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

are you upgrading for the purposes of gaming, or just to make your overall experience better? This motherboard looks like it uses standard ATX connectors, so you should be able to use any standard power supply.

i wanna be able to do light gaming enough for 80+ fps minecraft the computer is a backup pc btw and i dont rlly want to change the psu and will the performance be noticaebly better?

On 8/13/2022 at 5:28 PM, DietzDiet said:

i wanna be able to do light gaming enough for 80+ fps minecraft the computer is a backup pc btw and i dont rlly want to change the psu and will the performance be noticaebly better?

I don't know what CPU or graphics card you have, I can't say if performance will be that much better.聽

Primary PC:

36 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I don't know what CPUvor graphics card you have, I can't say if performance will be that much better.聽

the current cpu is a amd athlon II x4 630 and the gpu is a amd raedon hd 4200

20 minutes ago, DietzDiet said:

the current cpu is a amd athlon II x4 630 and the gpu is a amd raedon hd 4200

The increase of more cache and slightly boosted clock speeds would make the 1055T or 1065XT a decent improvement. Although I'm not sure if you would see much difference if you didn't also upgrade the graphics too, because the HD 4200 was not powerful even when it was new.

If I were in your position and I couldn't spare much money for an upgrade, I would start by saving up for a used GTX 750 which would be mostly fine for budget gaming purposes, and then might consider the Phenom II X6 eventually.

Does this system have an SSD for the boot drive? If not, consider using the free program Defraggler. I've used it to spruce up old desktop computers, it does more than the windows built in defrag tool and it can make a pretty noticable difference.

Primary PC:

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

The increase of more cache and slightly boosted clock speeds would make the 1055T or 1065XT a decent improvement. Although I'm not sure if you would see much difference if you didn't also upgrade the graphics too, because the HD 4200 was not powerful even when it was new.

If I were in your position and I couldn't spare much money for an upgrade, I would start by saving up for a used GTX 750 which would be mostly fine for budget gaming purposes, and then might consider the Phenom II X6 eventually.

Does this system have an SSD for the boot drive? If not, consider using the free program Defraggler. I've used it to spruce up old desktop computers, it does more than the windows built in defrag tool and it can make a pretty noticable difference.

wont the athlon bottleneck the gtx?

4 hours ago, DietzDiet said:

wont the athlon bottleneck the gtx?

I would not worry about a bottleneck with such old hardware. you are looking for a decent upgrade on a low budget, so you should take what's best in terms of value. Hard to find a good graphics card that's cheaper than the 750 without compromises.聽

That 300 watt power supply would be warranted when you add a graphics card (do yourself a favor and watch a guide on how to install it, so that all goes well) and I wouldn't think it has PCIe power cables to plug in something like a GTX 650. Anything lower like a GT 730 doesn't have great gaming performance, even if it is a small upgrade from your 4200, not worth the $$ in my opinion.

Primary PC:

4 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

I would not worry about a bottleneck with such old hardware. you are looking for a decent upgrade on a low budget, so you should take what's best in terms of value. Hard to find a good graphics card that's cheaper than the 750 without compromises.聽

That 300 watt power supply would be warranted when you add a graphics card (do yourself a favor and watch a guide on how to install it, so that all goes well) and I wouldn't think it has PCIe power cables to plug in something like a GTX 650. Anything lower like a GT 730 doesn't have great gaming performance, even if it is a small upgrade from your 4200, not worth the $$ in my opinion.

wait so not even the gtx 550 will be 730? also the 300watt psu is a old one, idk if it will be compatible, also if the 550 is better, will it be compatible?

4 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

also will this聽https://www.ebay.com/itm/144680415032?hash=item21af9fef38:g:g0YAAOSwi8thjHTe聽be a good cheap $20 option? i can resell the other one so it will only be 10 bucks total

3 hours ago, DietzDiet said:

wait so not even the gtx 550 will be 730? also the 300watt psu is a old one, idk if it will be compatible, also if the 550 is better, will it be compatible?

Is the 200 watt power supply you're using now the original PSU for this PC? If it is they're both quite old.

But if you do go with the 730 instead of the 750 it's a bit less power draw, and if you don't upgrade the CPU from the 4 core to the 6 core you probably don't have to upgrade the power supply.

3 hours ago, DietzDiet said:

also will this聽https://www.ebay.com/itm/144680415032?hash=item21af9fef38:g:g0YAAOSwi8thjHTe聽be a good cheap $20 option? i can resell the other one so it will only be 10 bucks total

It's cheap so it wouldn't be a bad stopgap

Primary PC:

44 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Is the 200 watt power supply you're using now the original PSU for this PC? If it is they're both quite old.

But if you do go with the 730 instead of the 750 it's a bit less power draw, and if you don't upgrade the CPU from the 4 core to the 6 core you probably don't have to upgrade the power supply.

It's cheap so it wouldn't be a bad stopgap

So it would be a good deal? I will probably save up in the future to get the cpu and upgrade the psu but for now is the gpu a good deal? Sorry that i keep asking i dont mean to be annoying.

Just now, DietzDiet said:

So it would be a good deal?聽

yes, especially if you sell that other GT 730. You might be able to get like $15 for it.

Primary PC:

20 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

ok ty!! btw how much faster do u think minecraft will be?

28 minutes ago, DietzDiet said:

ok ty!! btw how much faster do u think minecraft will be?

It's hard to say. Especially since you said your CPU was at 100% just with a browser, it seemed like you have some unwanted processes running that you'll want to end for better performance. Minecraft is very demanding of the CPU.

Primary PC:

43 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

It's hard to say. Especially since you said your CPU was at 100% just with a browser, it seemed like you have some unwanted processes running that you'll want to end for better performance. Minecraft is very demanding of the CPU.

30-75% lol聽 i turned off background apps just now btw, and what abt a 730 is a i3-2130?

11 minutes ago, DietzDiet said:

and what abt a 730 is a i3-2130?

I don't know what you mean by this

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I don't know what you mean by this

I mean like what abt if i put the other 730 in the computer i am currently using (pavilion s5-1414) it has a 2nd gen i3, will it perform better?

1 minute ago, DietzDiet said:

I mean like what abt if i put the other 730 in the computer i am currently using (pavilion s5-1414) it has a 2nd gen i3, will it perform better?

The GT 730 is slightly better than the integrated graphics, so it may present a small improvement.聽

That second gen i3 will have a good bit better performance than the Phenom CPU in your HP pavilion聽

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The GT 730 is slightly better than the integrated graphics, so it may present a small improvement.聽

That second gen i3 will have a good bit better performance than the Phenom CPU in your HP pavilion聽

i hadnt installed the phenom yet lol, i hadnt even bought it, btw is the i3 gt combo way better then the athlon gt?