What to do with a bunch of Rasbperry Pi

Akima

So..

I'm in posession of about 200 Raspberry Pi 3B. Long story how I got these, but essentially we inherited them from a startup we bought out. We have no commercial use for them, but i'd like to use them internally as little dev environments etc for the team.

I've got 16 racked up already. The rest are sitting in the box still.

I'm looking for ideas of what we can do with these - beyond the ususal "K8s cluster" blabla. I like the idea of clustering them, but I want to do something a little different. Any ideas?

On a secondary note - I'm happy to give away a bunch of these if you cover the cost of shipping. I'm in the UK. Or if the LTT team fancy doing some nuts video with 200 odd Rasberry Pi, i'm happy to talk.

20220812_130428913_iOS.jpg

20220812_130512301_iOS.jpg

Keep the cluster since it's nice and a few just in case, sell the rest since AFAIK there's still a crazy shortage of Pis and they sell for way more than they're worth to companies who have projects designed around a pi and no pi = no product to sell. 

Now as to uses for the cluster... basically nothing other than the mentioned example of experimenting with apps specifically designed for clusters or figuring out HA/load-balancing schemes and other networking shenanigans since to run anything useful even a junk free PC will run circles around them. 

EDIT: Yeah just checked the main Pi reseller here, there isn't a single one in stock of any model/variant.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, ravahn2020 said:

depending on your price i might be willing to buy one off you

If it was me, you would've had to do WAY better then just the one. Or overpay for it.
Hardly worth all the effort of shipping just the 1 raspberry. 😉
Just sayin. 🙂

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

If ya'll pay for the shipping, i'm happy to give away a few for free.

I know how piss difficult these are to get hold of. I don't want to hoard the hardware, and it goes against the Raspberry Pi foundation's ethos.

That being said, i'll have to double check the forum rules first.

Have you seen what those things are going for lately? You could almost retire if you sold them.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 8/12/2022 at 10:22 AM, Akima said:

beyond the ususal "K8s cluster" blabla

Dang, that was my first thought after I saw your title.

maybe a really stupid spark cluster for data analysis, or have your devs do stuff with some other distributed framework such as ray.

If you're really willing to give it away, do you have any idea how much shipping would cost to brazil? haha

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

how about hosting some tor relays to counter balance bad relay actors like KAX17. maybe even some people of your team are interested in hosting some relays. since you only can run 2 on the same IP, or was it 3?

(and just to be clear, relays, not exit nodes...)