Updating second PC, mid tier specs

777GE90

Have built a new system last year with 5900X + 3080 Ti.  Unfortuntely, I barely get to use it and end up stuck using my old 3770k + GTX 1060 + DDR3 RAM most of the time when I'm gaming.

So it's time to upgrade this old rig, but this time I am only looking to upgrade the CPU, Motherboard and RAM (will do GPU next year).  I spent £2.5K on my last build, so I want this PC to be upgraded with cheaper parts, but still be future proof for more upgrades, i.e. I think it will be bad going for a DDR4 motherboard but I haven't kept up with things so not sure.

Budget (including currency): My 5900X rig worked out around £850 for the three parts, so I guess I should aim for under £500? Happy to go higher if it's justified.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Rainbow Six Siege, probably some flight sim (but will save that for the main rig), COD

Other details Only need Motherboard, CPU and RAM for this.  GPU most likely will eventually be like a 3/4060 Ti or 3/4070.  Also, will be getting a 1440p 144hz monitor too.

What is the purpose of upgrading it?  The 3770k should be fast enough for the 1060 unless you are doing some kind of high fps low fidelity gaming, in which case it's hardly worth upgrading.  If the system works it works, and if you are still running the 1060 a faster CPU isn't gonna make a real difference, and is gonna cost you about $300 with RAM and motherboard.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

9 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

What is the purpose of upgrading it?  The 3770k should be fast enough for the 1060 unless you are doing some kind of high fps low fidelity gaming, in which case it's hardly worth upgrading.  If the system works it works, and if you are still running the 1060 a faster CPU isn't gonna make a real difference, and is gonna cost you about $300 with RAM and motherboard.

It's not, the 3770k is garbage (great when I got it 10 years ago).  I know because when I put my 1060 in my other rig, it runs noticeably better frames.  It's outdated and I need a new CPU, it's my bottleneck atm.  Which is why I also need new RAM and Mobo too.

48 minutes ago, 777GE90 said:

I know because when I put my 1060 in my other rig, it runs noticeably better frames. 

Does it run $300 smoother?  If so then get this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($175.85 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($47.97 @ Amazon) 
Total: $288.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-11 18:10 EDT-0400

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

18 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Does it run $300 smoother?  If so then get this:

Maybe I wasn't clear, but the 1060 is not staying.  I'm basically planning to update to a newer gen GPU next year and I know the CPU will be a bottleneck (as it already bottlenecks my 1060).  Really what I am trying to spec up here is a mid tier, future proof initial upgrade of my PC.  Then I will follow with GPU upgrade, monitor upgrade, keyboard upgrade, etc.

So it's not about $300 smoother, it's more just renewing this tired 10+ year old machine slowly, as it's beginning to show issues.  For example, currently I play COD at 1080p, on the lowest graphic settings and still get choppy playback and barely maintain 60 fps.  I need to update the GPU but not logical to do that until that base PC is also upgraded.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($175.85 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($47.97 @ Amazon) 
Total: $288.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-11 18:10 EDT-0400

Thanks that spec seems good, but I was thinking more Intel this time around for DDR5 support? 12600K or 12700K?  I was also looking on eBay and stuff and you can get 5900X's dirt cheap too, so another option for me may be to get another 5900X lol, but then I run into the trap of being stuck on DDR4 on it.  I really think that's a bad idea as I probably want to upgrade this rig again in a 4-5 years time and would be awesome if I don't have to change the RAM (and maybe mobo too) when I do another CPU upgrade?

6 minutes ago, 777GE90 said:

Thanks that spec seems good, but I was thinking more Intel this time around for DDR5 support?

Trying to get ddr5 support on less then 500£ is gonna be hard for all the prerequisites needed to run Said  ram

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Frk4Nc

This would be the minimum with only 16gb of ram with loose timings and an decent z690 board

42 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Trying to get ddr5 support on less then 500£ is gonna be hard for all the prerequisites needed to run Said  ram

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Frk4Nc

This would be the minimum with only 16gb of ram with loose timings and an decent z690 board

Ooo nice, I like it! I think that will probably be my best bet for now.  Unless I wait a month or two to see what AMD comes up with.