Tighter export controls on electronics could hamper Russia's war effort

Linux Panic

Summary

Russia is now starting to run out of high spec CPUs and is having to resort to obtaining their computational power for their war effort elsewhere and are resorting to butchering washing machines and other household appliances to get the CPU's to be able to power their invasion of Ukraine

Quotes

"If these components can be denied then the Russians will not be able to replenish the arsenal of equipment that they have expended in Ukraine," Dr Watling says. A research fellow a the Royal United Services Institute

My thoughts

I think this is a rather interesting set of affairs really. The war in Ukraine has been going on since the 24th of February 2022 in which Russia has been rather agreesive and committing their troops to walls of death. Russia who thought this would be a 3 day operation has now been fighting this war for the past 7 months and is now suffering the effects of the global chip shortage themselves because of how large their losses have been in their fight with Ukraine. 

Russia is using Texas Instrument chips in their missiles that are being launched at Ukraine. Their supply of chips is either being cut off or entirely cut off not only because of the shortage but also because of sanctions. If their supply can be permanently cut off then the Russian war effort cannot be resupplied effectively bringing the war to end through technological attrition.

Everything from FPGA's to RS-232 transceivers and GPS receivers are being used by Russia in their weapons. With supplies drying up and tougher and tougher international sanctions on Russia preventing more high tech equipment reaching the war effort it is going to make it easier for Ukraine to fight back against Russia and hopefully push the Russians back to the boarder.

Sources

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/special-resources/silicon-lifeline-western-electronics-heart-russias-war-machine/interactive-summary RUSI summary into technology used by Russia to

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62464459 <--- BBC news article and the corresponding video

_126243451_5a07539c666221a09b0c573f5007cb784652889d.png.e07f5afd1c35b1afa77e161d5f223d3c.png

A Texas Instruments chip on a circuit board found inside a Russian 9M727 missile collected on the battlefield by Ukraine's military - Credit Reuters

Iirc they have a drone problem too.  The were using cannon DSLRs as their main optic.  I think Russia is going to become very very dependent on mainland China as it’s almost the only country that will talk to them anymore.  They’ll have to do redesigns to even use that stuff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

And China still exist, and China will need an ally for their soon to come invasion. Just saying

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

lol, this post has far too much potential to go astray.

Damn, Russia really wants to keep going with that shit, eh?

Well, it's time for Russia to invent CPU's made from vodka.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

6 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Damn, Russia really wants to keep going with that shit, eh?

Well, it's time for Russia to invent CPU's made from vodka.

My point is they don’t have to if they’ve got China.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My point is they don’t have to if they’ve got China.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Kermit attempting suicide badly?  May be a meme I’m not familiar with.  I guess I don’t consider the whole thing funny.  Too many people are dead.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Kermit attempting suicide badly?  May be a meme I’m not familiar with.  I guess I don’t consider the whole thing funny.  Too many people are dead.

I'm afraid there won't be an end anytime soon. Putin is way too high on his pride to stop the war and it's still unclear to me why he even started it in the first place.

If China is on his side, then it will not get any better too.

DAC/AMPs:

10 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

I'm afraid there won't be an end anytime soon. Putin is way too high on his pride to stop the war and it's still unclear to me why he even started it in the first place.

If China is on his side, then it will not get any better too.

Oh that he tried makes a certain amount of sense if you think the Monroe doctorine never died.  His whole thing is pretending that Russia was solely responsible for the Soviet Union and that the Soviet Union still exists.  That he continues remains a bit inexplicable, but there seems to be a whole other philosophy going in putin’s administration.  A bit like Russian religious iconography which rejected chiro scurio and instead attempted to to create a three dimensional image in front of the picture plane rather than behind it. I’m a mushroom in this one though. (Lives in the dark and is fed garbage)

Edited by Bombastinator

My guess would be that, if the chips are essential to Russia, they would have a massive stockpile of them. Or, maybe they're able to divert them from other countries. The article mentions that Russia is attempting to replace imports with domestically-produced alternatives, but I don't think that Russia has many options for that when it comes to CPUs. 

10 hours ago, Linux Panic said:

Summary

Russia is now starting to run out of high spec CPUs and is having to resort to obtaining their computational power for their war effort elsewhere and are resorting to butchering washing machines and other household appliances to get the CPU's to be able to power their invasion of Ukraine

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that washing machines run on high performance CPUs. I also didn't see anything like this claimed in the articles you linked to.

Some other corrections / clarifications:

I think this is a rather interesting set of affairs really. The war in Ukraine has been going on since the 24th of February 2022

It's been ongoing since 2014. Russia only intervened in it in 2022.

Russia who thought this would be a 3 day operation

That claim never existed outside of Western media. Many similar claims were admitted by US officials to have been deliberate falsehoods they spread to manipulate impressions and support about the war.

has now been fighting this war for the past 7 months

Russia's intervention is just about to reach the 5.5 month mark.

Everything from FPGA's to RS-232 transceivers and GPS receivers are being used by Russia in their weapons. With supplies drying up and tougher and tougher international sanctions on Russia preventing more high tech equipment reaching the war effort it is going to make it easier for Ukraine to fight back against Russia and hopefully push the Russians back to the boarder.

Ukraine's made a claim of a massive counter-attack coming pretty much every other week. Almost none ever come, and those that have, fail. Ukraine also claimed that the war would be decided in Severodonetsk, which it lost despite claiming it wouldn't, and that it wouldn't lose Lugansk, which it also lost.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

<-- Thread Locked -->

No line to float between tech and politics, this is 100% political. 

Just a reminder from the Community Standards:

• No political content, regardless of your views.
    • If something spans politics and tech, the discussion must remain clearly within tech and must not descend into politics.
    • This covers all parts of the site, including status updates and the off topic subforum.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card