EVGA PSU to b46h5-ad motherboard

Mardok

Hello, i am trying to upgrade my son's PSU/GPU. The problem i am having is that on his MB (b46h5-ad motherboard) he has a 6 pin Atx power connector. The PSU doesn't come with a 6 pin connector other than the PCIE ones. I found an adapter that is 24 to 6 pin, but have read that these adapter can cause issues. The new PSU (EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W Power Supply( 100-W1-0500-KR) has two PCie 6+2 on it. So was wondering if i could use one of them for the 6 pin on the MB sense it says it's to give the GPU extra power in the manual and then one 10 inch cable from the second one to the 1060 i am putting in his computer. I'm not sure which route is best or if either is even possible because i've never had this issue. This won't be a long term solution, because i plan on getting him a new system before long. Thanks for in advice in advance.

43 minutes ago, Mardok said:

b46h5-ad

Acer prebuild?

44 minutes ago, Mardok said:

I found an adapter that is 24 to 6 pin

Specified for Acer?

44 minutes ago, Mardok said:

EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W

That's garbage you don't want to use in any system.

45 minutes ago, Mardok said:

has two PCie 6+2 on it. So was wondering if i could use one of them for the 6 pin on the MB

NO! It's for GPU only.

Yes It's on acer prebuild

I don't see acer on it, but on some forums and review people were using the one I'm looking at in the same acer that i have for the same reason. It is actually made for dell. I can't seem to find one for the MB in his system in the system. 

It was cheap so thought for temp solution i would use it.

Yeah i thought i was GPU, but it's been awhile sinse i've actually changed parts on a PC so wasn't sure if things had changed in PSUs. Also on some the post i read about the atx power connector they said that slot also gave extra power to the GPU and some said you could use the pcie and use a 10 ince extender to run the other one to the GPU, but i didn't really trust that so that's why i came here to ask.

I am getting him a new computer in a few so just trying to get this one running again in the mean time.

I have a similar question regarding my set-up if anyone can help me

I have an Acer Aspire TC Professional Tower Desktop (Intel Core i9, 32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows 10 Home) that also has the B46H5-AD MB, but I cannot find the original product page because it was purchased as an upgraded from stock PC from a private seller, and the model tower is no longer listed. I am waiting to hear back from the seller about the PSU because I am planning on purchasing an EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 SC ULTRA GAMING, 04G-P4-1057-KR, 4GB GDDR5, Dual Fan, Metal Backplate (04G-P4-1057-KR). 

I am far from a computer expert, but I would think my PSU would need to be upgraded as well, but I have no idea if it is one of these ATX120V that I saw described by Linus Tech Tips. I want to upgrade this PC with the GTX 1650 as soon as possible (gift for my daughter soon), but I am lost as to what PSU to purchase.

edit: There IS an open 6 pin SATA on the MB (item 6-left on the attached image) that I was going to use for the GPU, but I think I still need to upgrade the PSU, yes?

394ctadl9g4i.jpg

Look..  You made a mistake.  Sorry.   Throw it all in the garbage and start over.  😞

47 minutes ago, JKoechling said:

I am far from a computer expert, but I would think my PSU would need to be upgraded as well, but I have no idea if it is one of these ATX120V that I saw described by Linus Tech Tips. I want to upgrade this PC with the GTX 1650 as soon as possible (gift for my daughter soon), but I am lost as to what PSU to purchase.

It's not ATX12VO. It's using a proprietary connector.

50 minutes ago, JKoechling said:

I am planning on purchasing an EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 SC ULTRA GAMING, 04G-P4-1057-KR, 4GB GDDR5, Dual Fan, Metal Backplate (04G-P4-1057-KR). 

That card requires a 6pin PCIe connector. Try and find a GTX1650 without an additional connector.

Check the label on the power supply to see how much power it can output on 12V.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

11 hours ago, Spotty said:

It's not ATX12VO. It's using a proprietary connector.

I'm assuming that means I'm better off swapping/upgrading the PSU if I want to stick with the 1650?

That card requires a 6pin PCIe connector. Try and find a GTX1650 without an additional connector.

I'm coming up with a bunch of 1050 models, but struggling to find a 1650 without the 6-pin (also can't find any 1050s with dual displayport outputs)

Check the label on the power supply to see how much power it can output on 12V.

I'm assuming you mean the rating on the proprietary PSU already in place? Spec on the tower said 300w, but I haven't opened it up yet to check on the internal box

Are there issues I should be concerned about with it being a proprietary PSU? Is there a specific type of PSU I should be replacing it with?