Mic suggestions/opinions

Hey all

So over the next few weeks I will be spending 2 weeks in Africa working on a private animal collection, crocs, snakes plus the usual African holiday stuff with safaris and such, and then a few weeks later I am starting a lap of Australia, my R5 will be attached to my hand at all times and I’m thinking I should probably get a mic, I’m was looking at either the Rode micro or the Deity D4, however the D4 seems out of stock so thinking the Rode, I know it’s not the greatest but I’m pushing weight limits as it is so ya.

I know while on an actual safari the odds of being close enough to not need a parabolic mic is slim, but then the guy I’m working for did post a video of everyone pretty close to some hippos and they’re loud AF so who knows there, but I’d like something for say the croc jaw pops, or the growl king cobras make when they’re angry.

my question though for my use case, do I actually really need the dedicated mic or should I just get some wind covers and use the built in one?

thoughts, ideas or suggestions welcomed, and thanks in advance

I have a r5 and a rode micro. Works well, and no issues. Audio quality is fine, but I don't have too much to compare to.

I can compare the onboard and the rode micro, but I wanna say the rode is a good amount better, and I don't think there is a easy way to do a wind cover on the r5.