Would it be better to build an old High End Rig consisting of used parts, or a new Mid End Rig Consisting of all brand New parts, Max budget $600.

Dog 234
Go to solution Solved by NaClKnight,
30 minutes ago, Dog 234 said:

Budget (including currency): $600

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

There are parts you can get used that I will still trust, like a case or RAM or SSDs
There are parts that I refuse to buy used, like power supplies

Do you have any parts to start with? Or are you building a PC ex nihilo, out of nothing, and have to buy every part?

It'll be up to you how much you trust whoever you're buying from, but your best mix of piece of mind and performance is probably a blend of new and used parts. 

Since the GPU market crashed there are plenty of used options there that'll play whatever you need, specifically because there is no (worthwhile) new sub $200 GPU. 

If you go used, be very careful about compatibility. It's easy to end up with parts that don't quite work together (like a motherboard that needs a BIOS update before it'll accept the CPU you bought) even though you got a great deal on all of them.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

If performance is roughly the same, I'd go with the new parts, simply because you'll have driver support for longer and get warranty. If you get considerably more performance from the used parts, go with used parts.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

30 minutes ago, Dog 234 said:

There are parts you can get used that I will still trust, like a case or RAM or SSDs
There are parts that I refuse to buy used, like power supplies

Do you have any parts to start with? Or are you building a PC ex nihilo, out of nothing, and have to buy every part?

It'll be up to you how much you trust whoever you're buying from, but your best mix of piece of mind and performance is probably a blend of new and used parts. 

Since the GPU market crashed there are plenty of used options there that'll play whatever you need, specifically because there is no (worthwhile) new sub $200 GPU. 

If you go used, be very careful about compatibility. It's easy to end up with parts that don't quite work together (like a motherboard that needs a BIOS update before it'll accept the CPU you bought) even though you got a great deal on all of them.

Salt SYSTEMs:

SYSTEM-Infinity+1(Centerpiece) -- Ryzen 5600X + RX 6800 XT + Galahad 360 + 32GB + Thermaltake P3

SYSTEM-Embrace (Portable) --Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700 XT + Galahad 240 + 16GB + Hyte Revolt 3

Well, What I was Planning on building was a ASUS Rampage iv Formula, with a i7 6950x CPU 16(2x8GB) Ram, 2 1080 GPU's and a 850 watt PSU, I already have the Power Supply and the Ram That I am using on my current rig, Was just wondering if this would be a worthwhile venture or just go completely brand new but mid end.

2 minutes ago, Dog 234 said:

Well, What I was Planning on building was a ASUS Rampage iv Formula, with a i7 6950x CPU 16(2x8GB) Ram, 2 1080 GPU's and a 850 watt PSU, I already have the Power Supply and the Ram That I am using on my current rig, Was just wondering if this would be a worthwhile venture or just go completely brand new but mid end.

if you already have a PSU and RAM, you can build around that. new cheap CPU (ryzen 5600 or core 12400k) or recent cheap CPU (2600, 3600, or Intel equivalent) are easy to find.

my only warning is that 2 gpus won't do you any good for gaming. No modern games support SLI or Crossfire anymore. 

Salt SYSTEMs:

SYSTEM-Infinity+1(Centerpiece) -- Ryzen 5600X + RX 6800 XT + Galahad 360 + 32GB + Thermaltake P3

SYSTEM-Embrace (Portable) --Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700 XT + Galahad 240 + 16GB + Hyte Revolt 3

3 hours ago, Dog 234 said:

Bad idea, it's too old to be performing well and chances of failure are high

Plus SLI isn't even supported anymore...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 hours ago, Dog 234 said:

So for $600, I doubt you could put that together. But here's a few notes:

• The 6950x's 10c/20t is unhelpful in gaming, and the core speed is easily outdone by more recent CPUs. It may sound weird, but the i3 12100f offers incredible value at ~$100. It's 4c/8t like i7's were up until the 9700 series, and is outdoing even the 8700k.
    • The current 12400f blows the 6950x out of the water in both gaming and workload.
  • Can you reuse the case and storage from your previous build? If so, you can save even more.
  • As stated above, SLI is basically unsupported at this time. It's actually now so bad, that it makes your experience horrible in most games.

You could do something like this with your current PSU, RAM, Case, and Storage:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($184.99 @ GameStop) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME H610M-E D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Hellhound Video Card  ($279.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $564.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-02 07:31 EDT-0400

I myself might save a few extra bucks amd do something like this, knowing that I don't need the extra cores for gaming purposes:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100F 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($116.28 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME H610M-E D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB EAGLE Video Card  ($449.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $666.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-02 07:36 EDT-0400