Radiation from open case?

Yo Whats Up

Hey guys i have a semi open case (1 side has no panel) but i was told by someone IRL that computers radiate bad waves harmful for ur brain (like wifi and phone do but maybe not same waves). Is this true? Does it harm my brain when the pc case is open? Or only harm the airflow?

“Every post deserves a meme„

–Confucius

No, entirely untrue. Not a shred of credible scientific or medical evidence that any meaningful harmful radiation comes out of certified consumer electronics.

This goes for the components in your computer, WiFi and mobile signals too.

2 minutes ago, Yo Whats Up said:

Hey guys i have a semi open case (1 side has no panel) but i was told by someone IRL that computers radiate bad waves harmful for ur brain (like wifi and phone do but maybe not same waves). Is this true? Does it harm my brain when the pc case is open? Or only harm the airflow?

No... 

Lets just pretend for a second that they did, most PC cases are extremely thin stamped sheet steel, plexi glass, or tinted glass. If the PC was radiating some form of radiation, would any of those materials stop said radiation? No... they wouldn't.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

That is not how any of that works at all. You'd be fine if you didn't have a case at all and just ran the computer with all the components sitting in the open. Your computer parts aren't harming you.

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

With no form of broadcasting equipment a pc emits basically nothing, least no more than any 12v electrical device which would include every electrical thing on 99% of vehicles you ever rode in.

if it did, how would having the side panel on block them? definitely don't believe everything you hear.

12 hours ago, Yo Whats Up said:

Then you should be feeling something already. Apart from the occasional coil whine and a photon emitting LED, a PC does not emit any radiant energy. Unless you power your PC with a built in nuclear battery... but that would be silly.    
Or is this a trick question about radiant heat? 

Did you know bananas are radioactive? It's true, look it up. 

Stop hanging out with idiots. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

15 hours ago, Yo Whats Up said:

i was told by someone IRL that computers radiate bad waves harmful for ur brain (like wifi and phone do but maybe not same waves). Is this true?

It's a conspiracy theory,nothing more than that.

15 hours ago, Caroline said:

No, that's bs or perhaps a VERY twisted way of talking about EMI

Like the people saying CRTs caused cancer and "eye sickness" whatever that was

Here's a completely bullshit site on this https://emfacademy.com/computer-monitor-radiation-everything-you-need-to-know/ that still lives to this day with the purpose of selling snake oil.

Just like how some charlatans made up a medical condition and use it to sell snake oil treatments to a medical condition that doesn't exist,

It's called "Adrenal Fatigue" and it's not a real medical condition.

And just like Mayoclicnic says (A reputable health care website): 

Adrenal fatigue isn't an accepted medical diagnosis.

People should be wary of misinformation.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

idk about other people but when I game I dawn a hazmat suit, gaming computers can put off lethal amounts of radiation when being pushed too hard.

7 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

idk about other people but when I game I dawn a hazmat suit, gaming computers can put off lethal amounts of radiation when being pushed too hard.

(It's a joke): YoUr body emiTs radiation as weLl so hOw do yOu protect yourseLf from yoUr own radiatiOn?

ANd what aboUt bananas? - ThEy emit radiatiOn as weLl.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

2 hours ago, Brian McKee said:

But how does this jibe with the need to hack nekkid to prevent dangerous static discharge? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

On 8/1/2022 at 3:14 AM, Caroline said:

No, that's bs or perhaps a VERY twisted way of talking about EMI

Like the people saying CRTs caused cancer and "eye sickness" whatever that was

Here's a completely bullshit site on this https://emfacademy.com/computer-monitor-radiation-everything-you-need-to-know/ that still lives to this day with the purpose of selling snake oil.

Edit: this is my mobile acc i have 2 accs one for pc and one for phone cuz im too lazy to copy over the password from pc just saying so u know im OP

Thats funny u say this because this is the exact site that my dad, who told me about the case radiation, sent to me. He sent me this link https://emfacademy.com/turn-off-wifi-at-night/ and told me i need to build a faraday case for my phone cuz it emits harmful waves and even when it's off he said there's no guarantee those suckers didnt program it to emit waves nonetheless and while we think it's off it could still be trying to connect to cell towers and wifi to track our location so he said the only sure way to be sure it's not emitting waves is to buy a faraday cage and he sent me this link as well as others about this thing so i can learn how to make such a cage. We tried to cover my phone with alluminium foil for cooking but it didnt seem to be enough as my phone was still receiving calls maybe cuz i left a hole somewhere, at this point dad laughed at me and said im a fool to think its so easy to stop. Ever since then ive been turning my phone off before i go to sleep and only turning it on when i get up. Phones are a required equipment that everyone must have so u cannot turn it off during the day, so i just do it during night when i sleep to not harm my brain (check the link i sent). But unlike what my dad says, i am not a fool, i use Lineage OS and since it's open source i can trust that the os wont send signals while the phone is supposedly off since if it did other people would call them out on it. That said, the hardware could still be made to do this even if only once every 15 min or so to keep track of ur location, so maybe i am a fool indeed for thinking that when my phone is off its not sending signals. Its also a xiaomi and dad said to avoid anything chinese cuz they always spy on u. But then I asked him to buy me new phone cuz this one is xiaomi and he immediately found an excuse lol, anyway time to sleep as its passing 6 am but i just found it funny cuz the very site u sent in ur post i have multiple bookmarked pages of it and have been reading like a bible... But I thought to check with u guys anyway cuz it never hurts to be sure and suddenly everyone says its fake and like maybe u got confused i didnt mean radiation like nuclear one like when usa dropped hiroshima on japan i meant like harmful waves not like that kind of radiation if that makes sense

10 minutes ago, Jsu147 said:

snip

You really don't need to worry about trying to block signals from your phone. What makes it an issue at night if you're fine with having the phone on during the day? Your phone isn't harming you. 

Also, a site that recommends using a Faraday cage on a device designed to broadcast radio waves is just bullshit. Don't bother wasting your time with those sorts of sites. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

4 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

You really don't need to worry about trying to block signals from your phone. What makes it an issue at night if you're fine with having the phone on during the day? Your phone isn't harming you. 

Also, a site that recommends using a Faraday cage on a device designed to broadcast radio waves is just bullshit. Don't bother wasting your time with those sorts of sites. 

Well the emfacademy site is promoting emf products. So naturally they might exaggerate or make it look worse than it is. So I decided to consult a neutral site, one of my favourite sites that i use for all kinds of stuff like food and bodybuilding so i can get big muscles - healthline

Heres the article in question https://www.healthline.com/health/emf

According to it:

•  

• Radiofrequency radiation. This non-ionizing radiation field is emitted from wireless devices, like cell phones, smart meters, tablets, and laptop computers. It’s also generated by radio and television signals, radar, satellite stations, and MRI machines.

Non-ionizing radiation

• microwave ovens
  • computers
  • smart meters
  • wireless (Wi-Fi) routers
  • cellphones
  • Bluetooth devices
  • power lines
  • MRI machines

There’s disagreement in scientific literature over whether EMFs pose a danger to human health and, if so, how much.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified non-ionizing EMFs in the radiofrequency range as Group 2B, a possible human carcinogen.

These fields are produced by electronic products like cellphones, smart devices, and tablets.

IARC operates under the World Health Organization (WHO). It convenes working groups of scientists from around the world regularly to evaluate the cancer risks presented to humans by environmental and lifestyle factors.

The current IARC evaluation from 2011 pointed to a possible link between RF radiation and cancer in people, particularly glioma, a malignant type of brain cancer.

This conclusion means that there could be some risk. The report emphasized that the link between cellphone use and cancer risk needs to be carefully monitored by the scientific community. It said more research was needed into long-term, heavy use of mobile phones.

Some researchers feel there’s already enough evidence of harm from long-term, low-level exposure to non-ionizing radiation that the IARC should upgrade the classification to a Group 1, a known carcinogen.

In a smaller, more recent study, researchers analyzed data over almost 2 decades and found that people exposed to high levels of extremely low-level frequency magnetic fields (ELF-EMFs) over a long duration showed an increased risk of acute myeloid leukemia (AML), a type of leukemia in adults.

European scientists also uncovered a possible link between EMF and leukemia in children. In a literature review of previous studies, they suggested that between 1.5 to 5 percent of childhood leukemia can be attributed to ELF-EMFs.

But they noted that the result was inconclusive because monitoring of EMF was lacking. They recommended more research and better monitoring.

One reviewTrusted Source of more than two dozen studies on low-frequency EMFs suggests that these energy fields may cause various neurological and psychiatric problems in people.

In one study, researchers found that an electromagnetic pulse (EMP), or a short burst of electromagnetic energy, can affect nerve activity in rats.

They suggested that long-term EMP exposure could be harmful to cognitive ability and may induce pathology similar to that of Alzheimer’s disease. They added that more research is needed.

Also, tentative research suggests that the body’s tissues and its nervous system may be affected by the heat generated by RF-EMFs.

A studyTrusted Source conducted on rats and mice suggested that the heat from cellphones affected body tissue heating and nerve activity. Again, researchers said more study is needed.

Another research reviewTrusted Source suggested that radiofrequency EMFs might contribute to neurological cognitive disorders. But since the reported research was performed either on cells or animals, its results don’t necessarily apply to people.

Most researchers said further studies are needed.

Now of course pcs dont receive cell phone tower signals but from what i know newest motherboards all come with wifi chips which could emit signal physically even if u turned Wifi off on ur pc. So prob its best to physically smash the chip on the mb responsible for the wifi, or maybe cut a hole where the chip is if this wont break the rest of the motherboard not sure. But i read that laptops and pc monitors also emit EMF especially if sitting less than 3 feet (0.91m) to it

16 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

That was my dad recommending it not the site

Just now, Jsu147 said:

So prob its best to physically smash the chip on the mb responsible for the wifi, or maybe cut a hole where the chip is if this wont break the rest of the motherboard not sure. 

If you think physically damaging the motherboard in your computer is a proper way to address this "issue" then you don't seem to understand what you're worried about. The Wi-Fi chip on your motherboard isn't harming you lol. 

2 minutes ago, Jsu147 said:

That was my dad recommending it not the site

The site also recommends them, and it's a silly recommendation at best. It makes no sense. 

3 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

If you think physically damaging the motherboard in your computer is a proper way to address this "issue" then you don't seem to understand what you're worried about. The Wi-Fi chip on your motherboard isn't harming you lol. 

The site also recommends them, and it's a silly recommendation at best. It makes no sense. 

I mean i think it makes sense especially with a chinese or russian or us brand (remember fbi was found to openly read whatsapp messages while they're supposedly "encrypted"? ) Cuz sure u can install Lineage OS or another os and then u u can be sure its not purposefully emitting signals when the phone is off aka lying to u. But how can u be sure the hardware is not doing that? A faraday cage is the only way to be sure imo

2 minutes ago, Jsu147 said:

I mean i think it makes sense especially with a chinese or russian or us brand (remember fbi was found to openly read whatsapp messages while they're supposedly "encrypted"? ) Cuz sure u can install Lineage OS or another os and then u u can be sure its not purposefully emitting signals when the phone is off aka lying to u. But how can u be sure the hardware is not doing that? A faraday cage is the only way to be sure imo

If you're that concerned about it then why use a smartphone at all? Why have a Wi-Fi router? Just get rid of the phone and unplug the router and you're good to go. 

Just dont eat any banana's and youll be fine.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Im going to bed now im very tired and i may respond when i have more time. Ur informatiom has been very useful and ive learnt some and i do agree that the site prob exaggerates some to sell its products since hosting costs nearly nothing compared to the monthly sales its prob making so why not right?

That said, not all manufacturers are equal chinese do spy more but so does samsung and google: https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/10/15/how-much-do-you-trust-your-android-smartphone-a-new-study-suggests-its-spying-on-you

And heres the study: https://www.scss.tcd.ie/Doug.Leith/Android_privacy_report.pdf

Lineage OS would be completely no spying but they have gapps flashed so thats why it says google while e-os uses microG

And i dont agree with the phone not harming my brain during sleep esp when i sleep next to it cuz according to the studies they did find some altho nowhere near conclusive proves that the waves are harmful, but most of the researchers say that more studies need to be done. So it could be true or it could not be. But just like God we dont know yet if he exists or not. Im not atheist but im not religious either, maybe hes there maybe hes not but until theres proof i behave if hes not and i certainly wont trust god to heal me over science and medicine, just like i wont trust that the phone wont harm me when scientists dont know. I told my dad about what everyone is saying and the studies and he said, well 30 years ago people thought cigarettes are fine and now everyone knows theyre very harmful so he said dont be a moron that believes everything use ur own brain and my own brain says that if the studies havent reached a conclusive decision then its best to be wary. The emf site had a chart where it listed amount of emf radiation u receive based on various distances sitting from a monitor. And the 3 feet one was safe while the 1 inch one and 1 feet one had high amount of radiation. Now while the emf site may be exaggerating, i doubt that they'd lie with measured data like this. Exaggerating with words is one thing but completely fabricating data is another and unless theyre complete crooks i highly doubt they fabricated the data. Besides, maybe its not a guy who is knowingly exaggerating to sell u stuff, maybe he just truly believes those things that he writes? All kinds of people out there. But im very inclined to believe the measured data is right. Unfortunately 0.91 meters or 3 feet is a huge distance to be sitting from a monitor when u need to read and be able to see the monitor clearly, so i guess not much can be done here besides using a 40 inch monitor that can be seen clearly from a longer distance just like a smaller one can be seen from shorter. Anyway time to sleep cya

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

I sit at about 1.10m from the monitor and can clearly read even the smallest text.

I sit 40cm from the monitor (22").

I have pretty bad eyesight so sitting very close to the monitor is the only way i can see things clearly on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont let those conspiracy theorists scare you. There's a reason why gas stations removed Cellphones from the do not do list. 

Marline
Top Loop:
Thermaltake Pacific PR2U Dual 5.25" Bay D5 Pump/Resorvior Combo / EK ZMT Tubing / A mixture of Chrome Plated Brass Rotary Fittings Bit Fenix and Alpha Cool / Alphacool NexXxos 280mm 45mm Thick Copper Pass-through Radiator / Alphacool NexXxos 140mm 45mm Thick Copper Radiator / XSPC G1/4 1/2ID Chrome Compression Fittings / Freeze Mod AM4 CPU Waterblock / 3x Noctua Redux 140mm fans
The Bottom: 
Custom Made 2mm Thick Steel PSU Shroud / Aqua Computer Aqua Tube POM Reservoir / Alphacool Eisdeck 5 w/D5 655 Pump / EK ZMT Tubing / Alphacool 45° Chrome Plated Brass Rotary Fittings / Bitfenix 90° Chrome Plated Brass Rotary Fittings / Alphacool Chrome Plates Brass Pass Through Fittings / Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnects / Bitfenix Full Cover Water Block 2080ti / Alphacool NexXxos 200mm 45mm Thick Copper Radiator / Noctua Chromax 200mm Fan / The fluid I used for both was EK Cryofuel Acid Green
Computer Specs:
Thermaltake F31 Suppressor / Ryzen 9 3950X / 32gb G. Skill 3200mhz RAM / Asus B550-E motherboard / Zotac RTX 2080 ti 11gb / EVGA 1000 GS PSU / Samsung 970 Evo Gen3 NVMe SSD / Western Digital SN850X Gen 4 NVMe SSD / 4x PNY 120 gb SSDs in RAID 0 / 1x Spectre 512gb SSD / 1x Patriot 240gb SSD / 1x 1Tb Western Digital Black 7200RPM HDD / 1x 2Tb Seagate 5400RPM HDD / Windows 10

• 7 months later...
On 8/1/2022 at 12:35 AM, Yo Whats Up said:

Who ever told you is an idiot and you sir shouldn't be so gullible. 

On 8/1/2022 at 1:18 PM, PriitM said:

Then you should be feeling something already. Apart from the occasional coil whine and a photon emitting LED, a PC does not emit any radiant energy. Unless you power your PC with a built in nuclear battery... but that would be silly.    
Or is this a trick question about radiant heat? 

Everything technically emit radiation, including us humans. But most do not emit particals energetic enough to harm anything in any meaningful way.