type A usb hub for desktop

alex gary

hi, any suggestions on type A USB hub for desktop, i have a old motherboard without USB - C ports, i want to use it for high speed data transfers.

something like attached picture .

41k76mkf0gL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I personally like Sabrent usb hubs.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

"Type A" just means what we usually think of as the "normal" USB form factor as opposed to USB-C or Micro-USB or (shudder) mini-USB when that was a thing for dumbphones and stuff. It would include USB2, and even slow old USB1.x from the 90's. If it's high speed data transfers you're after then you want to make sure you're getting a USB3 hub. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Don't know if there are better deals, but I got this waaaay back in 2019 and it has worked well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQFGH80/

Edit: There are definitely better deals to be had. It was only $16 when I bought it; Now it's $31.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

I personally use the 4way amazon basics USB3 hubs as they are good enough for most things. 
But you need to make sure you're plugging it into a USB3 port. If your mobo is old enough it might not have any in which case you're after an add in card which can be had for cheap

What mobo do you have?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

17 minutes ago, Middcore said:

"Type A" just means what we usually think of as the "normal" USB form factor as opposed to USB-C or Micro-USB or (shudder) mini-USB when that was a thing for dumbphones and stuff. It would include USB2, and even slow old USB1.x from the 90's. If it's high speed data transfers you're after then you want to make sure you're getting a USB3 hub. 

i have external ssd and usb pen drives which would me used through this hub is usb3 hub have speed limitations if i use all ports at once to transfer large data. 

14 minutes ago, OddOod said:

I personally use the 4way amazon basics USB3 hubs as they are good enough for most things. 
But you need to make sure you're plugging it into a USB3 port. If your mobo is old enough it might not have any in which case you're after an add in card which can be had for cheap

What mobo do you have?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-Z390M-PLUS/

Most things will work alright as long as you don't need to add in a web camera.

If you do want a web camera in your set up, just add in a single extension cord for that. Or shell out $$$$ for a thunderbolt set up (cheaper just to get an extension cable).

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

Whichever you're getting it's probably a good idea to get one with a DC power input. Sometimes if you plug something that draws power (like with RGB stuff) you might need the extra power otherwise it doesn't function correctly, even though it doesn't use lots of bandwidth. You'll probably be able to find something like this, albeit under different branding/pricing. Honestly any of them will be fine.

81ItTGTi8OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

5 minutes ago, JogerJ said:

Whichever you're getting it's probably a good idea to get one with a DC power input. Sometimes if you plug something that draws power (like with RGB stuff) you might need the extra power otherwise it doesn't function correctly, even though it doesn't use lots of bandwidth. You'll probably be able to find something like this, albeit under different branding/pricing. Honestly any of them will be fine.

81ItTGTi8OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

so even if i only use external ssd and pen drives i need external power adapter ?

11 minutes ago, cmndr said:

Most things will work alright as long as you don't need to add in a web camera.

If you do want a web camera in your set up, just add in a single extension cord for that. Or shell out $$$$ for a thunderbolt set up (cheaper just to get an extension cable).

no webcam usage but iam curious what kind extension you saying ?

1 minute ago, alex gary said:

no webcam usage but iam curious what kind extension you saying ?

Something akin to this - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+extension+cable

Just be aware that stuff off Amazon is increasingly shady (reasons for Newegg, BHPhoto, etc.?). Especially USB. I'm normally NOT a fan of brands but for USB stuff I'm increasingly finding that I NEED branding as a guide.

1 minute ago, cmndr said:

Something akin to this - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+extension+cable

Just be aware that stuff off Amazon is increasingly shady (reasons for Newegg, BHPhoto, etc.?). Especially USB. I'm normally NOT a fan of brands but for USB stuff I'm increasingly finding that I NEED branding as a guide.

ok ok yea but my issue at first place is i am out of usb ports in the motherboard, lol .so can i use webcam via monitor USB output ? my both monitors have USB ports which are powered by extra USB type B cable from motherboard.

DC input is completely optional, just nice to have. It will work fine without external power. Another instance where additional power may be necessary is when plugging in external hard drives, just from experience.

Also I don't think your motherboard supports thunderbolt, but there definitely are thunderbolt pcie cards.

Also if the hub doesn't have to sit on your desk, you could always put in a USB expansion PCIE card. It'll have a separate USB controller and doesn't occupy an existing USB port

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

2 minutes ago, JogerJ said:

DC input is completely optional, just nice to have. It will work fine without external power. Another instance where additional power may be necessary is when plugging in external hard drives, just from experience.

Also I don't think your motherboard supports thunderbolt, but there definitely are thunderbolt pcie cards.

Also if the hub doesn't have to sit on your desk, you could always put in a USB expansion PCIE card. It'll have a separate USB controller and doesn't occupy an existing USB port

i want to have the hub at desk for convenience, i have the pci card but did not use as i have to constantly go back at the case to plug in and out every time i need to work.

32 minutes ago, alex gary said:

ok ok yea but my issue at first place is i am out of usb ports in the motherboard, lol .so can i use webcam via monitor USB output ? my both monitors have USB ports which are powered by extra USB type B cable from motherboard.

mouse, keyboard, bluetooth adapters, chargers, etc. can all go onto a USB hub if you don't mind a hair of latency.

Webcameras are sensitive to latency and throughput though.

You can also daisy chain to some degree from things like your monitors.

I'm kind of curious about what you're using all those USB ports for though... like how much stuff can you plug in? I feel like I have more than enough (mouse adapter, keyboard, 2 microphones, web camera) and I have plenty of unused ports.

If it's 50x harddrives, you probably want to build a NAS or something like that.

Just now, cmndr said:

mouse, keyboard, bluetooth adapters, chargers, etc. can all go onto a USB hub if you don't mind a hair of latency.

Webcameras are sensitive to latency and throughput though.

You can also daisy chain to some degree from things like your monitors.

I'm kind of curious about what you're using all those USB ports for though... like how much stuff can you plug in? I feel like I have more than enough (mouse adapter, keyboard, 2 microphones, web camera) and I have plenty of unused ports.

If it's 50x harddrives, you probably want to build a NAS or something like that.

i have 2 external hard drives and 4 usb pen drives i update all those pen drives with new songs (FLAC FILES) for my car

and i transfer video files to watch movies (4k res, Dolby audio) on tv via another external hard drive which plays through usb adapter on tv.

You should probably get a NAS. You WANT some redundancy and RAID improves both performance and reliability.

My go-to, if I can get it at a decent price, is the HPE Microserver Gen10 for like $200ish. It holds 4x 3.5" drives. Slap on a copy of TRUENAS Scale (Core is iffy unfortunately) on a USB drive and you're mostly off to the races.

Every device on your home network can then access the data over ethernet or wifi.

9 minutes ago, cmndr said:

You should probably get a NAS. You WANT some redundancy and RAID improves both performance and reliability.

My go-to, if I can get it at a decent price, is the HPE Microserver Gen10 for like $200ish. It holds 4x 3.5" drives. Slap on a copy of TRUENAS on a USB drive and you're mostly off to the races.

Every device on your home network can then access the data over ethernet or wifi.

nice can also do that. any videos on nas setup ?

9 minutes ago, alex gary said:

nice can also do that. any videos on nas setup ?

I haven't watched this but the comments on this are promising.
You can technically get away with pretty much any semi-modern computer though energy efficiency MATTERS (a low power unit can pay for itself in 1-2 years vs using an old desktop)

My usual go-to for stuff is just buying a bunch of 4TB 5400RPM drives off ebay for cheap ($35ish each and it's probably worth having a cold spare), setting it up in RAID5 (err Z1) and then going off to the races with ~12TB usable space. This is from a "getting costs down" perspective. There's nothing stopping you from going to 4x20TB drives (though a drive failure with a 20TB drive is scary). You also want CMR drives, not SMR. SMR = BAD. As in if one drive dies you'll run into problems repairing the array.

If you want something more plug/play then you can find things like a TS-431 on ebay or similar.

Also, while RAID improves reliability it's not a backup - one virus, fire, flood, crazy 12 year old with a hammer, etc. can destroy your data, having another copy (at a minimum at the opposite side of your residence, ideally off site) is suggested.

10 minutes ago, cmndr said:

I haven't watched this but the comments on this are promising.
You can technically get away with pretty much any semi-modern computer though energy efficiency MATTERS (a low power unit can pay for itself in 1-2 years vs using an old desktop)

My usual go-to for stuff is just buying a bunch of 4TB 5400RPM drives off ebay for cheap ($35ish each and it's probably worth having a cold spare), setting it up in RAID5 (err Z1) and then going off to the races with ~12TB usable space. This is from a "getting costs down" perspective. There's nothing stopping you from going to 4x20TB drives (though a drive failure with a 20TB drive is scary). You also want CMR drives, not SMR. SMR = BAD. As in if one drive dies you'll run into problems repairing the array.

If you want something more plug/play then you can find things like a TS-431 on ebay or similar.

Also, while RAID improves reliability it's not a backup - one virus, fire, flood, crazy 12 year old with a hammer, etc. can destroy your data, having another copy (at a minimum at the opposite side of your residence, ideally off site) is suggested.

lol okey thanks for such information.i like to see 12 year old running with a hammer, seems like a personal experience.

9 minutes ago, alex gary said:

lol okey thanks for such information.i like to see 12 year old running with a hammer, seems like a personal experience.

No experience with that specific scenario.

I've just had to explain what could go wrong to a few people with 2 digit IQs "wait, why are we doing RAID if it's not a backup?" (because 2 drives dying at the same time is relatively rare so you can keep on going without interruptions, performance is usually higher and you can get away with a cheaper backup)

1 minute ago, cmndr said:

No experience with that specific scenario.

I've just had to explain what could go wrong to a few people with 2 digit IQs "wait, why are we doing RAID if it's not a backup?" (because 2 drives dying at the same time is relatively rare so you can keep on going without interruptions, performance is usually higher and you can get away with a cheaper backup)

RAID is just an idea to have i am going to have a hub on desk will do some research online as well for future proofing like thunderbolt hub

3 minutes ago, alex gary said:

RAID is just an idea to have i am going to have a hub on desk will do some research online as well for future proofing like thunderbolt hub

If your main source of "I need more IO ports" is a tangled mess of disorganized drives, storage consolidation should probably take priority over thunderbolt unless you have a strong use case for it (e.g. you want to move your desktop 50' away or you regularly plug in or unplug a laptop).

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

or (shudder) mini-USB

Mini B is a superior connector to micro usb. Still used today and I've never had one fail.