Steam does not allowed you to download mods for the games you don't own

CTOXYEB

5075865.thumb.png.23109c7f341def19ced89b9c73170e1c.pngSummary

Valve does not allow you anymore to download any mods from Steam Workshop if you don't own the game. I don't have any links to news sources, but you can try it yourself using SteamCMD https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD#Downloading_SteamCMD It's just no longer possible

My thoughts`

It just pissed me off. So basically, if you own the game anywhere else, you're not allowed to download the mod who somebody created for free

Did trying to install mods through Steam Workshop even work if you didn't own the game on Steam? The whole point of SW as I understood it (I've barely used it because it quickly became clear all the good stuff for Skyrim and other heavily modded games was still going to be on NexusMods) was that it would automatically and seamlessly install the mod on a game you own on Steam. If the game isn't installed through Steam, what was the functionality before this change?

Is there a significant number of mods that are only on SW which you can't get and install from some other site?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Moved to the PC gaming section. Tech news is for discussing news articles, but you're welcome to discuss the steam workshop in PC gaming.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

44 minutes ago, CTOXYEB said:

Summary

If this really ends up being a big deal to many, and I can't imagine why it would be, surely the mod makers will just make the mods available elsewhere..

7 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I tried this platform and I can only say it SUCKS.

Are we using the same program? Steam sucks? Since when? I've been using it since around the Half Life 2 era... I can't even get through your first paragraph without wondering if we're in a completely different universe, I have no idea what you're talking about with any of those points. 

16 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Are we talking about Steam?

OK, thanks for the impressions, I'm sure they'll be valuable to those who may have heard about this funky new Steam thing and are still on the fence about whether to try it, I guess. 

Not really on topic, in any case. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

The whole point of SW as I understood it (I've barely used it because it quickly became clear all the good stuff for Skyrim and other heavily modded games was still going to be on NexusMods) was that it would automatically and seamlessly install the mod on a game you own on Steam.

Yep, that is the whole point. I used to play ARMA III which used SW heavily, you could just plug a list into the launcher and it would automatically grab all the needed mods, install, and configure them. Most groups had their own modlist for how they liked to play so it made it super convenient vs having to manually install everything and make sure you didn't miss any. 

It wouldn't really serve any fuckin purpose at all if you don't have the game on steam, why would you be using Steam Workshop to begin with then? I've always just used Moddb/Nexus Mods for stuff that was off-steam or for Bethesda titles as all the good mods are on the Nexus (though some left due to some cringe stuff on NM's end so you have to go to a couple more 3rd party sites now). 

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Like everyone else said, are we using the same platform? Steam is pretty darn solid, there's a launcher or two that are slightly nicer but they have a smaller library (uPlay is simpler and cleaner but Ubisoft only, GOG Galaxy 2.0 is nice but relies on tie-ins to the other launchers anyways). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

It wouldn't really serve any fuckin purpose at all if you don't have the game on steam, why would you be using Steam Workshop to begin with then?

The thing is, I just can't find mods for the game I'm playing elsewhere. I'm talking about City Skylines. I just want to download some mods from steam workshop and looks like they aren't available elsewhere, including nexusmods. And the only way of getting them for me is either to write directly to mod creators asking them to publish mods elsewhere (on github, or on nexusmods, doesn't matter) or to buy a god damn game there.

I mean it just sounds fair, if you're using the product from mod enthusiasts for free to promote your platform, at least make it usable for everyone

Steam workshop only works because of special code the developers wrote to work with steam. 

This could be a culprit that the non steam versions don't have the steam code or it's possible that the steam code isn't compatible with games outside library. 

First anti competition practice I've seen on steam. 

15 hours ago, fpo said:

Steam workshop only works because of special code the developers wrote to work with steam.

It's not the case. I was able to find a website that has mods for my particular game (searchable by steamworkshop id). And mods are working completely well without steam installed. So no, it's just valve being noncompetitive, no other reason