Any recommendations for a router under 100 dollars?

weener69420

i want a router that is as complete in term of configurations as possible (i want to use it to learn network stuff) and i need it to have 1 port gigabit ethernet WAN and 1 or 2 port Gigabit Ethernet LAN. (i have a switch so i don't need many ports)
i don't need wifi. it may be too much to ask but i'm tired of calling my ISP each time that i want to do anything.

I'm a fan of TP-Link products. Here's a no-frills, non-wifi router:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Integrated-Lightening-Protection-TL-R605/dp/B08QTXNWZ1

I have a TL-R600VPN at work and this looks to be a newer version of that.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

On 7/27/2022 at 5:02 PM, weener69420 said:

i want a router that is as complete in term of configurations as possible (i want to use it to learn network stuff) and i need it to have 1 port gigabit ethernet WAN and 1 or 2 port Gigabit Ethernet LAN. (i have a switch so i don't need many ports)
i don't need wifi. it may be too much to ask but i'm tired of calling my ISP each time that i want to do anything.

That entirely depends on what type of broadband you have, how fast it is and if your ISP even lets you swap out the router or put their existing one into bridge/passthrough mode.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

If you want to "use it to learn network stuff", I recommend not putting it into production as your Internet connection. The whole point of a homelab is to mess with it, break it, fix it, and reinstall it without consequence.

If you just want to learn how routing works, start with a free network simulator like GNS3

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 3:45 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

That entirely depends on what type of broadband you have, how fast it is and if your ISP even lets you swap out the router or put their existing one into bridge/passthrough mode.

My ISP kinda sucks, i need to use a VPN because the don't provide Dynamic IP so yeah... i have static IP... I also can't open port for devices... so they used DMZ pointing to my other router (the one that i can use) they also told they can replace their router with mine (which is like an adapter from fiver optic to a single wan port or something like that) so the idea is using the new router as the main router for the house, the using my old router as a wi-fi point for another part of my home and then finally being able to mess up with VPN for my machine that host the my MC server (which also is kinda funny because my Raspberry pi shares the same WAN IP as my main machine making so I can't have both server open with the same IP, I have to change ports :C)
Short answer to your few question.
100mbit down 30mbit up
and I can swap the router if I want, I just need a router with enough setting that allows me to learn or do new projects with my pi and things like that.
(btw, sorry for taking so long to answer)

1 hour ago, weener69420 said:

My ISP kinda sucks, i need to use a VPN because the don't provide Dynamic IP so yeah... i have static IP...

In my experience its the better ISPs that use static, unless you're doing something nefarious then having a fixed IP is not a bad thing.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

11 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

In my experience its the better ISPs that use static, unless you're doing something nefarious then having a fixed IP is not a bad thing.

Well. I used to have dynamic IP with my previous ISP and there are certain websites that I don't rater give my static IP.

4 hours ago, weener69420 said:

Well. I used to have dynamic IP with my previous ISP and there are certain websites that I don't rater give my static IP.

You do realise ISPs with dynamic IPs keep logs of who has which IP at which time period, right?  Should you do something illegal, law enforcement can request this.

You're also at the mercy of what the previous user of that IP was doing.  They could have logged it on all sorts of sites making it an attack vector, gotten banned from an online game, used up the quota on sites that only let you download x amount per hour.  Or if you've done any of those things you're impacting another poor user who did nothing wrong when they get your old IP.

I've had a static IP address (though not the same one as changed ISPs) for over a decade now.  Its pretty much all beneficial.

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You do realise ISPs with dynamic IPs keep logs of who has which IP at which time period, right?  Should you do something illegal, law enforcement can request this.

You're also at the mercy of what the previous user of that IP was doing.  They could have logged it on all sorts of sites making it an attack vector, gotten banned from an online game, used up the quota on sites that only let you download x amount per hour.  Or if you've done any of those things you're impacting another poor user who did nothing wrong when they get your old IP.

I've had a static IP address (though not the same one as changed ISPs) for over a decade now.  Its pretty much all beneficial.

isn't anything illegal i just rather have an dynamic IP because i don't trust some of my friends. there are o few who were part of a Amino group with lot of shady stuff, the girl I'm dating a girl who is cute and my "friends" are a bit angry with that, having a Dynamic IP makes so i don't give them my IP. I'm happy if I just get a way of giving them a temporal IP for the MC server. and then keep using my normal static IP. I tried using Avast VPN but it doesn't seem to work with the server, I have no idea why.
I also considered using the Windows VPN feature. but I have no idea how it works.

If you're afraid your "friends" are going to DDoS you or something, I'd argue they aren't friends at all.

There are no guarantees any ISP wont give you the same IP twice plus like I said, you're just passing that problem onto whoever gets the IP next at your ISP, that's hardly fair.

For the record, ISP IP ranges are under attack from hackers all the time, its just either hidden in your routers firewall logs or hidden completely from you.  The fact that your IP might change once in a while is in no way any form of security.

If your "friends" were persistent enough, they could probe your ISP IP range to try to find you again and if you aren't exposing anything (such as the MC server) on a general basis, they're no more likely to do anything to you than if your IP was static.  If they manage to do anything that one time you give them the temporary IP, then they're likely to be able to find you again regardless.