Should i be worried?

Go to solution Solved by techswede,

Okay. So after abouuut 7-8 hours i am now typing this on a machine with all my important data intact. But my two main drives wiped completely clean.

Every single driver has been re installed properly. This time my main browser is chrome. Until it fails me again. And AVG will do for now as an AV

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Hello Ltt forum members.

Decided to run a virus scan on my computer since i have not done so since i built it. (bad idea to not scan i know..)

My main harddrive where my os is installed was almost completely clean. Probably because i scan every single download.
Only found 2-3 trackers.

But then the scan hit my second drive which is from my old pc. One that has been with me since i was just a young consolite 

/F is a fitting name.. Because that's the sound i made... "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"

It found not 10. Not 50. Not even 100.. nope, it found 319 threats 

Of which 5 were trojans... And one was a "bomb" virus.

All threats have been removed(?) by AVG.

As soon as my nas arrives i'll grab all my important stuff and pop that on there before doing a complete system purge.

Possibly even getting new drives.

There's where question one comes in.

How reliable are my results with AVG? Can i safely assume that i've killed most of the pests or is my paranoia justified? (i ask 2 clean scans later)

Second question.

Since installing rainmeter and being able to monitor my upload and download i've noticed some fluctuations in both up and downloads. 

Second long blips that range from 9b's up to 1000kbs.

Is this normal? Or am i royally screwed?

Could i keep going like this for a little while longer until my nas arrives? Or should i format a drive, Pop all my important stuff on there... And do a fresh install of windows?

I've learned my lesson from this. No more being lazy with this stuff. Time to set up weekly scans..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

That's quite a find.... Weekly scans is definitely a good idea. 

I suggest a clean install now. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

That's quite a find.... Weekly scans is definitely a good idea. 

I suggest a clean install now. 

Uuuuuurgh.. sooo sick of windows re-installs.. 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

The upload download thing seems to have gone down to just bits. Rarely popping over 1kb on idle. Is this closer to normal?

If your current install drive was clean it should be fine, run malwarebytes on it just to be sure.

Can i run malwarebytes and AVG at the same time? Most av programs get a bit pissy when there are other av programs installed

New drives is probably a bit far. Reformat is probably the way to go.

I would get the free trial of Kaspersky and run a full scan, I trust it more than AVG.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Can i run malwarebytes and AVG at the same time? Most av programs get a bit pissy when there are other av programs installed

The free version of malwarebytes is just a scan and remove, it doesn't run in the background and try to check files on execution unless you have the pro version.

To be honest, malwarebytes is much better than AVG anyway IMO, if you can spare the cash the pro version is worth it if you wanted an AV.

I run no AV and haven't had any viruses in 2-3 years, after you spend enough time with computers you will know what to open and what not to open, there's always the case of dodgy scripted ads which don't require any clicking but then we have Adblock and Noscript, which will do more to protect you than any Antivirus will, it mostly depends on the habits of the user and if they open dodgy links/ads/programs.

Also If you're going to run one thing on your system in the background I'd reccomend it be a 3rd party firewall (I use comodo), if a virus manages to get on your system it won't be able to phone home unless you allow the connection.

The free version of malwarebytes is just a scan and remove, it doesn't run in the background and try to check files on execution unless you have the pro version.

To be honest, malwarebytes is much better than AVG anyway IMO, if you can spare the cash the pro version is worth it if you wanted an AV.

I run no AV and haven't had any viruses in 2-3 years, after you spend enough time with computers you will know what to open and what not to open, there's always the case of dodgy scripted ads which don't require any clicking but then we have Adblock and Noscript, which will do more to protect you than any Antivirus will, it mostly depends on the habits of the user and if they open dodgy links/ads/programs.

Also If you're going to run one thing on your system in the background I'd reccomend it be a 3rd party firewall (I use comodo), if a virus manages to get on your system it won't be able to phone home unless you allow the connection.

I also prefer malwarebytes but with this new update my scans instead of taking hours take like two minutes, I have no idea why.

i'm a potato

I have taken all your suggestions into consideration and i've decided to begin operation "Go through every single folder to find all the stuff i want to keep and then re-install windows 7 because i don't have anything better to do anyways"
GTESFTFATSIWTKATRW7BIDHABTDA. For short

I'll start using AVG again when it's re-installed until i've looked through my options when it comes to av software.

Going to reformat both my C and F drives... 

Okay. So after abouuut 7-8 hours i am now typing this on a machine with all my important data intact. But my two main drives wiped completely clean.

Every single driver has been re installed properly. This time my main browser is chrome. Until it fails me again. And AVG will do for now as an AV

PROBLEM SOLVED.

I'm an avg volunteer. Avg has decent virus signatures and the viruses were probably removed however I would advise creating a kaspersky rescue disk and booting from it, updating it and running a scan