Which AMD Ryzen is Better For Gaming or Neither?

For gaming? Neither. wayyy to overkill and might be worse since iirc the 2950x has pretty low clock speed, since most games are single core applications.

I'd get a 12700f  or 12900f if you feel like splurging 

Both are extreme overkill. I have a 12-core, 24-thread 5900X and that is overkill for gaming. You can build an entire system for about half the cost of one of these processors.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Overkill is just fine with me as I have been offered my choice the two for no charge. I explained that I can’t issue tax receipts for donations yet but they were fine with that.

Like others said: neither are good.

2000 series means it's using the old Zen+ architecture, which wasn't that great for gaming even when it came out. Plus, Threadrippers have lower clockspeeds, the motherboards are more expensive, and there's no benefit to that many cores for gaming.

If you're buying a new build, today's best Gaming CPUs are the Ryzen 5800X3D and anything 12600K or better in Intel's 12th gen lineup.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, One Touch Gamers said:

Overkill is just fine with me as I have been offered my choice the two for no charge. I explained that I can’t issue tax receipts for donations yet but they were fine with that.

If they're free, obviously take them, but I still wouldn't use them for gaming. The low single-core performance and high multicore performance makes them good for stuff like video rendering, virtualization, etc. Maybe consider selling them?

If you use it for yourself, you'll still end up spending several hundreds on an X399 motherboard, and the performance you get in gaming will be significantly worse than a 5600X + B550 motherboard (or 12400F + B660 motherboard), which are both similarly priced or even cheaper than an X399 motherboard alone.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

18 minutes ago, One Touch Gamers said:

If it's free, take the 2990WX, sell it for $1,200 US (CAD equivalent) on eBay, take the $1,050 USD of that you keep after fees and buy a 5800X3D, a nice X570 board and 32 GB of the fastest B-die RAM you can find.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Threadripper isn't a good gaming CPU.

What do you mean by charitable status?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

If it's free, take the 2990WX, sell it for $1,200 US (CAD equivalent) on eBay, take the $1,050 USD of that you keep after fees and buy a 5800X3D, a nice X570 board and 32 GB of the fastest B-die RAM you can find.

As the 2990WX will come BNIB, do you think that $1200 US is all I can get for it?

1 hour ago, One Touch Gamers said:

As the 2990WX will come BNIB, do you think that $1200 US is all I can get for it?

I have no idea. You’ll have to check eBay in your area.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Get the 2990wx and resell it, im not exactly sure how much its worth nowadays considering epyc 7551 (which are actually overclockable) go for 400$ ish on ebay and its basically the same thing as the 2990 but more ram channels and fancy server stuff with lower clocks (fixed by ocing)

3 hours ago, aisle9 said:

X570 and bdie are just needless wastes of money btw, x570 is just straight up useless for most ppl (good b550 like the aorus pro p/ax and pg velocita are in teh 130-160$ range) and bdie runs best at the highest volt you can give it (1.75v capped before maxmem) and thats not exactly worth it when a 4x8 2666 crucial bare pcb with c9bjz or d9wsm oced to 3600/3800 c14/16 will get very close performance wise, aka ram speed doesnt matter that much and ludicrous oc is just for flexing reasons

The 5800x3d = 12900ks in gaming performance so niche but potentially worth it for some, i would suggest going for a 12600k or 12700f + h670/z690 board instead just because cheaper

6 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

X570 and bdie are just needless wastes of money btw

x570 boards support more PCIe 4.0 lanes and better VRMs (usually), and better I/O vis USB. I don't know if I would call that a waste of money

7 minutes ago, mike_seps said:

x570 boards support more PCIe 4.0 lanes and better VRMs (usually), and better I/O vis USB. I don't know if I would call that a waste of money

B550 taichi, aorus pro ac, better features vs stuff like x570 tomahawk

Vrms depends on board model so thats garbage, i/o is also board based not chipset based (but seems more chipset based in older 400 and 300 series boards), you dont need more than 20 lanes of gen4, gen4 ssds are already useless piles of trash that only cater to a niche market like vid editors or whoever needs 7000+ r/w which does not apply to gamers thats for sure (other than ps5 but thats an arbitrary limit)

Sorry but other than the chipset features themselves everything else is board dependant so claims of better vrms and sht just falls apart

¯\_ (ツ) _/¯