Does Cpu's pcie version matter for ssds

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,
4 minutes ago, zonezone said:

I bought a 980 pro 265gb and i have a 4.0 slot (b550 a pro) but my cpu is 4650g.

Since the CPU is only capable of PCIe 3.0 it doesn't matter that the lanes on the motherboard are capable of 4.0 speed, they will run at 3.0 speed and so will the SSD. 

I'm gonna upgrade my cpu from 4650g to something, do i have to pick one with pcie 4.0 version or ssds can work at 4.0 without cpu being 3.0?

If you especially want to run multiple NVMe for example, you might want to opt for one with more lanes, yes.

If you plug the M.2 NVMe SSD thats PCIe 4.0 into a 3.0 slot it should work fine but it will be limited to 3.0 speeds and you wont get the full performance out of it.

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If you plug the M.2 NVMe SSD thats PCIe 4.0 into a 3.0 slot it should work fine but it will be limited to 3.0 speeds and you wont get the full performance out of it.

I bought a 980 pro 265gb and i have a 4.0 slot (b550 a pro) but my cpu is 4650g.

4 minutes ago, zonezone said:

Since the CPU is only capable of PCIe 3.0 it doesn't matter that the lanes on the motherboard are capable of 4.0 speed, they will run at 3.0 speed and so will the SSD.