PC Will not boot with 2 Sticks of Ram (New and Old)

Benaty

About 2 to 3 weeks ago I ran into a Problem with my PC where my PSU bricked itself and I had to get replacements for the PC. I made many replacements just to be on the safe side. At some point for I dont know what really was the cause of my PSU dying on me, my PC started to act up weird and gave me blackscreens when I was playing and turned itself off without turning off completely. For example I played with my Brother Black Ops 3 Zombies and that is where it occured most of the times. From my brothers perspective I simply disconnected from the Server and from Discord, yet my PC was still on and all fans and LED were still running/glowing. Sometimes I could just turn the PC back on but when playing Black Ops 3 I ran into the same situation, and later on it even happened on different games which are not really demanding workloads (Team Fortress 2 mostly), or even when I was just watching stuff on youtube. When that happened I also couldnt turn the PC off by holding down the Power button, or restart by pushing the Reset switch

My Specs at that time were:

Case: Cooler Master MasterBox E500L
Mainboard: Gigabyte Aorus B550 Elite (old mainboard) | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus (new mainboard)
PSU: Cooler Master Reactor 750W 80+ Gold (old one which died on me) | MSI MPG A850GF 850W 80+ Gold (new PSU)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8 cores @ 3,6 GHz
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ti VENTUS 3X 8GB DDR6X OC Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHZ (old RAM) | Corsair Vengeance RBG PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHZ (ne RAM)
SSD 1: Samsung EVO 860 EVO 500GB
SSD 2: Crucial BX500 480GB
Fan: 2x be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm @ 1500RPM
Fan: 2x be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm @ 1000RPM

When I asked a friend of mine who works a lot with PC's as his Job where he had to fix up PC's, he told me to run different tests, like testing my RAM if it would work properly, use Cinebench to stresstest my CPU and use Furmark to stresstest my GPU. Nothing had crashed the PC and my components were working fine even under 100% workload for what I tested were 1 1/2 hours each. Even wiping my SSD and re-installing windows didnt help it, and so eventually my PC wouldnt start anymore with the old PSU and I tested my PC using a different PSU which would start the PC normal as you would expect it. I wanted to make sure everything would work properly, I not only bought a new PSU but also a new Mainboard and with that the PC has been working completely fine the past week or so except with the problem stated in the title.

I built everything in correctly and booted the PC and it would start up normally, except for when I used both of my RAM sticks. I tried it out with putting 1 stick in A1 and B1, A2 and B2 but both didnt work and I couldnt even get to the post screen to enter BIOS. However when I removed one stick it would boot and I got into post screen and BIOS. I tested it out with putting each stick once into A1 and each stick into B1 and on all 4 instances the PC would boot normally so both sticks were properly working when put in alone. I looked up the problem online and tested it with my brother aswell but everything I found didnt help me, wether it was turning on XMP, changing the MHZ in the BIOS according the the MHZ on the sticks and changing the voltage to 1.35V, nothing seemed to fix the issue that I couldnt get into post screen with 2 sticks of RAM installed. I even went so far to buy completely new RAM sticks but even that didnt work out and now im sitting here with 4 sticks of ram, each working on their own but when put in together in Slot A2 and B2 the PC just would not boot. The only thing that me and my brother noticed however was when we put in 1 stick of ram, we watched the Lamps on the Mainboard going from CPU to DRAM and so on, but when I put in both sticks of RAM the Lamp would just stay on the CPU lamp and the DRAM lamp NEVER started to light up, not in orange and not in red either. Now I dont know what to do anymore and I am completely lost on what I could do at this point to fix this, so in hope of getting help I thought about reaching out here.

I also tested putting everything with the old Mainboard and with 1 ram stick everything worked properly, however when I put in 2 sticks I would run into the same issues, and on the old Mainboard the problem of not being able to shut down the PC by holding the Power Button or hitting the Reset switch. On the new Mainboard I can properly shut it off by holding the Power Buttong or hitting the Reset switch

Thank you in advance for helping me.

Neither are there bent pins nor are there any pins missing. When I installed the CPU I looked at it before putting it in the socket. The CPU itself gets read correctly and is detected by task manager aswell as MSI dragoncenter

14 minutes ago, Benaty said:

Neither are there bent pins nor are there any pins missing. When I installed the CPU I looked at it before putting it in the socket. The CPU itself gets read correctly and is detected by task manager aswell as MSI dragoncenter

if you have an issue running dual channel on 2 different motherboards, with two different sets of ram, this would point to the cpu being the issue imo. hopefully someone can chime in with any other ideas. do you have another pc you can use to verify both sets of ram work in dual channel, or another cpu you could try in your motherboard*?

I tried it out with my fathers PC and installed the ram I had previously so the Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHZ and swapped it out with the 16gb (single stick) of I think its called "viper" or something and now his PC doesnt work either. Not with my old ram and neither with his old ram. He is looking into it rn and takes his pc apart to see if something loosened up. I also tested it with my PC and neither as a single channel nor as duo channel worked on my pc now. But my new ram still works as single channel but still not as duo channel

I've seen a video about the most bizzare RAM issue, if you loosen up the CPU heatsink clamps, the problem is fixed. That was something mechanical.

Maybe not related at all, your PC issue still sounds electrical in nature.

I ran to similar issues in the past. Your ram sticks aren't syncing properly and it's causing shut downs. It's why when you load with one, it'll boot, but when you add two, it just goes chaotic mode. It's been a while since I dealt with this problem, but to fix it, you'll need to adjust the frequency of the ram sticks. Go to your BIOS, DRAM, and adjust frequency to [AUTO]. It should automatically set to auto, if it's not, set it to auto. My belief is that when you have XMP enabled, the ram sticks aren't set to AUTO but to their max capacity to boost more performance.

If the profile is set to AUTO, adjust the frequency to a lower amount other than 3600 mhz. Keep testing it till you get the sweet spot to when your ram sticks is sync. There are some mobo settings that will void this frequency adjustment to put out more performance, you'll need to disable those like XMP profile, overclocking, gaming mode, precision boost, etc..

I tried running it with A-XMP on, didnt work.
A-XMP off and AUTO frequency, didnt work.

Running at 3600MHZ, didnt work.
Running at 3400MHZ, didnt work.

Running at 3200MHZ, didnt work.

It would simply just be stuck with the CPU lamp lid but not going onto the DRAM lid or passing onto the Boot lid. I guess i'll just have to wait and buy a new processor next month and roll with what I have and see towards the end if it was actually my CPU that cracked somewhere internally. Atleast that is my guess now because after installing the new ram on occasions my pc just restarts itself and the system logs say

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core

Error Source: Machine Check Exception

Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error

Processor APIC ID: 0/1/6/14 (6 instances with APIC ID being one of the 4 I wrote down)

CPU and GPU temps max were both 65-70°

9 minutes ago, Benaty said:

It would simply just be stuck with the CPU lamp lid but not going onto the DRAM lid or passing onto the Boot lid. I guess i'll just have to wait and buy a new processor next month and roll with what I have and see towards the end if it was actually my CPU that cracked somewhere internally. Atleast that is my guess now because after installing the new ram on occasions my pc just restarts itself and the system logs say

Processor APIC ID: 0/1/6/14 (6 instances with APIC ID being one of the 4 I wrote down)

You are running two different kits. No XMP profile will work. You need to make sure that kit one 3200mhz is inserted in memory slot a2 and b2, kit 2 is located in slot in a1 b1. Go to bios set frequency to auto. dram voltage also need to be on auto. See if it boots. After that download aida64. In aida, go to motherboard->SPD, Here you can check the different timings supported by the two kits. It might say something like 3200mhz @ 16-18-16-36 and 3600mhz@16-18-18-38, choose the lowest speed of the slowest kit, in your case, 3200mhz. Try the timings for that kit, unless it's significantly lower than the 3600mhz, ie. 14-14-14-34, you can also post the timings and then we can take a look at it. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Maybe I should have specified it more. I am not using both kids at the same time, I am not using all 4 Slots. I am just using the 2x16gb 3600mhz kit but only with 1 stick it will post. Before I changed the MHZ I also put in both ram sticks in and booted into bios so both sticks frequenzy aswell as voltage are matched up. It is true tho that I didnt pay attention to the timings both sticks had individually. I will do that now and I will take photos of the bios

So I tested it with swapping them in individually again, and on both sticks I got to the post screen and managed to get into bios, however when I shut down the pc and put in the second slot I got further than expected. I still didnt get into the post screen but atleast the light switched from CPU to DRAM but it got stuck there again even after a couple of minutes. Picture 1 and 2 is bios with each ram stick individually, and pic 3 is both ram sticks in but only the dram light glowing

20220713_130454.jpg

20220713_130818.jpg

20220713_131158.jpg

On 7/13/2022 at 6:02 AM, Benaty said:

Sorry for the late response, I have not been online. Seems to me you're changing A-XMP frequency and not the adjusted DRAM frequency that is set at 2666mhz. Disable A-XMP and go under DRAM, where it says AUTO, change it to a lower frequency.

Also, looking at your picture you posted, you're logged into game boost mode which is set for A-XMP mode, cannot be game boost.

If any of the settings would have been enabled they would glow red, but since they glow are glowing white they are disabled. So none of the game boost options are turned on.

The set DRAM frequenzy will always show the last frequency I manually set it to, so if I would change it to 3200MHZ and then later on change it to AUTO again it will show the set frequenzy at 3200MHZ

• 2 weeks later...

Also something additional that just happened where I would like to know if someone has an answer to that.

I went outside with my parents because we had something to do, and I turned off my PC with making a Windows update.

We were out for 2 1/2 hours and when I came back and turned on my PC, it didnt want to boot properly and the CPU light kept on glowing. At first I didn't know what to do and thought maybe now something fixed itself and maybe both RAM sticks would work now. I put in the 2nd stick but as previously before the light would get stuck on the DRAM part and it wouldn't boot. When I removed the 2nd stick again the PC would boot perfectly normal as nothing happened before. Anyone know what the f**k happened?