Does there exist a controller with actually good sticks?

LloydLynx
Go to solution Solved by saintlouisbagels,
1 hour ago, LloydLynx said:

Every controller that I have has imprecise joysticks. It's always either two issues; 1) Sticks center well, but stutter when being moved, or even held in place. 2) Sticks center poorly, and have a sluggish jumpy behavior, as though a smoothing filter was applied to a stuttering stick.

Is there a controller out there that has actually good stick precision? 

Linus actually briefly mentioned on the latest WAN Show that he replaced the joysticks on his Steam Deck with hall effect sensors and said he's never felt so much precision before.

So maybe you can give this controller a try?

Every controller that I have has imprecise joysticks. It's always either two issues; 1) Sticks center well, but stutter when being moved, or even held in place. 2) Sticks center poorly, and have a sluggish jumpy behavior, as though a smoothing filter was applied to a stuttering stick.

Here are the controllers I have, and in what way they're imprecise:

• Xbox One USB-C version: Centering is abysmal, both in software and physically. Repeatedly snapping the stick to an edge and letting go temporarily improves software centering. Movement is sluggish and jumpy, and will sometimes briefly move in a different direction to the stick if tested slowly and precisely enough. 
  • Rockcandy Xbox 360: Like the Xbox One, but worse. 
  • Nintendo Switch Pro controller: The sticks center well, but are quite jittery when not at center, even when not moving. 
  • JoyCon: Similar to the Switch Pro controller. 
  • Hori Switch gamepad: Same as Switch Pro controller.
  • 3DS XL Circle Pad: Has fairly large deadzone built in. Sluggish jumping motion like the Xbox controllers, but not that bad. 

If it weren't for BeamNG, I would've probably never noticed this issue with all my controllers. At first, I played BeamNG the 360 controller and got the Xbox One controller because the precision was so bad. It was very much an upgrade, but the problem with the sticks didn't completely disappear. I just had to deal with it. But today, I had the idea to test all my other controllers, and discovered they all have shit joysticks. I would very much like to try out a Dual Shock, but I don't have access to one and I'm guessing they don't have good joysticks either. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

You could try a ps4 controller and I have been using one for years both for pc and console and like them both. I think when it comes down to sticks not all are going to be perfect because they degrade over time. I think what's important for you is to test them all and then figure out which one is comfortable in your hands. For me I don't really see an imprecise in the characters movement but I do notice the button input lag.

I'm not really a controller guru but I've been happy with my 8BitDo models.

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I'm not really a controller guru but I've been happy with my 8BitDo models.

8BitDo seems like a good choice I noticed that they are very popular.

1 hour ago, LloydLynx said:

Linus actually briefly mentioned on the latest WAN Show that he replaced the joysticks on his Steam Deck with hall effect sensors and said he's never felt so much precision before.

Edited by saint_louis_bagels

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

2 hours ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

I have a new dream controller 🤩

How am I just finding out about the miracle of hall effect sensors

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

I would try getting a genuine microsoft xbox 360 controller if you buy used plan on soldering new sticks. Still my favorite controller to this day. Only downside is it requires the wireless adapter to function.