Frequent Windows notification sound

atavax

I built a new PC recently and I keep getting a notification sound. Not only is the sound annoying, but if I'm playing a game, it will usually freeze for a second or two, which can be quite frustating while playing a multiplayer game and in the thick of the action. How do I stop this?!

1 minute ago, atavax said:

I built a new PC recently and I keep getting a notification sound. Not only is the sound annoying, but if I'm playing a game, it will usually freeze for a second or two, which can be quite frustating while playing a multiplayer game and in the thick of the action. How do I stop this?!

It might help if you tell us what the notifications are for as it may be something that can be disabled in the appropriate app.

2 minutes ago, MrMase said:

It might help if you tell us what the notifications are for as it may be something that can be disabled in the appropriate app.

i don't know what they're for. I just hear the sound and then my computer stutters for a second.

1 minute ago, atavax said:

i don't know what they're for. I just hear the sound and then my computer stutters for a second.

If they are notification from Windows they will be showing in the Notification Center in the bottom right corner of the task bar to the right of the time.

As @Murasakihas suggested Focus Assist may help but you should also be able to turn notifications off for a specific application.

If it is not this then look at what programs you have starting with your machine using Task Manager or SysInternals Autoruns and disable them one by one until resolved. Then you will know which one is responsible and can start the others back as normal if wanted.

What motherboard? If it’s a B550 there’s a chance that it’s actually USB issues and now Windows. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, Murasaki said:

Perhaps its Focus Assist? Turning that off could help.

i disabled focus assist and so far i haven't had it happen again so that might have been the issue.

56 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

What motherboard? If it’s a B550 there’s a chance that it’s actually USB issues and now Windows. 

it's an x570s aorus master

55 minutes ago, atavax said:

i disabled focus assist and so far i haven't had it happen again so that might have been the issue.

it's an x570s aorus master

That had stuttering issues with TPM enabled as with a lot of AMD systems. AGESA 1.2.0.7 helps with that and is out for your motherboard. 

Are you running the most recent BIOS version, F4d?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570S-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

https://www.techpowerup.com/295821/amd-releases-agesa-v2-1-2-0-7-microcode-to-motherboard-vendors-and-oems

https://www.techpowerup.com/292712/amd-isolates-windows-11-and-windows-10-performance-stuttering-issues-to-ftpm

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

57 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

That had stuttering issues with TPM enabled as with a lot of AMD systems. AGESA 1.2.0.7 helps with that and is out for your motherboard. 

Are you running the most recent BIOS version, F4d?

I am running F4d. Do you know the easiest way to disable TPM?

13 minutes ago, atavax said:

I am running F4d. Do you know the easiest way to disable TPM?

If you're on Windows 11, you can't. It's a requirement for your operating system.

If you're on Windows 10, restart into your BIOS. Advanced Mode, Settings, Miscellaneous, AMD CPU fTPM. Change that to disabled. Gigabyte set it to automatically turn on a few BIOS updates back.

Do note that this might not change anything depending on how well AGESA 1.2.0.7 works. If it works correctly and fixed fTMP stuttering, it'll have no effect on your issues. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

16 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

If you're on Windows 11, you can't. It's a requirement for your operating system.

If you're on Windows 10, restart into your BIOS. Advanced Mode, Settings, Miscellaneous, AMD CPU fTPM. Change that to disabled. Gigabyte set it to automatically turn on a few BIOS updates back.

Do note that this might not change anything depending on how well AGESA 1.2.0.7 works. If it works correctly and fixed fTMP stuttering, it'll have no effect on your issues. 

thanks. One of the reasons I upgraded my PC when I did was disliking the idea of being forced to use TPM in win 11, so wanting a system that was still compatible with win 10.

11 hours ago, MrMase said:

If they are notification from Windows they will be showing in the Notification Center in the bottom right corner of the task bar to the right of the time.

As @Murasakihas suggested Focus Assist may help but you should also be able to turn notifications off for a specific application.

If it is not this then look at what programs you have starting with your machine using Task Manager or SysInternals Autoruns and disable them one by one until resolved. Then you will know which one is responsible and can start the others back as normal if wanted.

I noticed one of my hard drives is no longer being detected. I just checked the cable connections and they're all good . So my current theory is either the hdd or one of the cables is broken and occasionally it works for a second; windows gives an audio notification of a new device detected; lags the PC. 

23 hours ago, atavax said:

I noticed one of my hard drives is no longer being detected. I just checked the cable connections and they're all good . So my current theory is either the hdd or one of the cables is broken and occasionally it works for a second; windows gives an audio notification of a new device detected; lags the PC. 

Ah yes that would definitely do it.

As you said its likely a cable fault, but also worth trying a different SATA port on the Motherboard or SATA power connector if replacement does not work.

18 hours ago, MrMase said:

Ah yes that would definitely do it.

As you said its likely a cable fault, but also worth trying a different SATA port on the Motherboard or SATA power connector if replacement does not work.

well, replacing the sata cable made the hdd detected again. So at least there's that. Time will tell if it solves the frequent updating noise problem.