I would like to build my own Nas / Homeserver.

20kev01

Hello together,

I would like to build my own Nas / Homeserver.

But I have no idea what hardware I should take, which has enough power but also does not consume extremely much power.

Currently I have a Nas with 5 hard drives from terramaster.

On the self-built Nas should run the following things:

- the 5 hard drives from my old Nas 
- a minecraft server
- pihole
- a Windows VM (this one doesn't need much power, it's just for playing around) 
- maybe max 3 docker containers 

My budget is 300 - 400€

Edited by 20kev01

If you're looking to do this on a budget using an old but relatively recent PC isn't out of the question since this isn't asking much of it.

28 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you're looking to do this on a budget using an old but relatively recent PC isn't out of the question since this isn't asking much of it.

Sorry, I forgot the budget in my post above. My budget is 300 - 400€

What do you mean by an old but relatively new PC? I really can not estimate what kind of hardware I need, is 4gb Ram and an intel i3 6100T enough?

53 minutes ago, 20kev01 said:

Sorry, I forgot the budget in my post above. My budget is 300 - 400€

What do you mean by an old but relatively new PC? I really can not estimate what kind of hardware I need, is 4gb Ram and an intel i3 6100T enough?

For what you're looking to do I'd start with a quad-core. Hyper-threading would be a plus. And depending on your hypervisor I'd start with 16GB of RAM. No less. Preferably 32GB.

Although you could combine the Minecraft server, Pihole server, and docker all into one VM I'd opt to segregate them. A hypervisor like PROXMOX would allow you to run some of this in a LXC Container which could save you on RAM but I'd still give Windows no less than 8GB and leave 8GB for the host. Personally I'd want to start with 32GB here. 4GB absolutely would not cut it unless you ran everything on bare metal. Even then I think a dual core with hyper threading would start to struggle if everything got loaded up at once.