Broken Pokemon Red Chip

Captain Insano

Recently got a very damaged copy of Pokemon Red for the original Gameboy from a friend, but one of the legs on the chip came off, is this repairable or should it just be binned?

The game had a lot of short term water damage from a fire being put out nearby, and no fire damage.

Pokemon Red Chip.jpeg

i can't tell from the image(too blurry), but if there is enough of the leg left, you could solder a jumper to it. i wouldn't be very optimistic about the chip itself working(looks like it's in bad shape), but if the alternative is tossing it, may be worth a shot.

you must have some soldering skill cause you've gotten it off the board in  the first place so yeah. give it a shot

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

18 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

i can't tell from the image(too blurry), but if there is enough of the leg left, you could solder a jumper to it. i wouldn't be very optimistic about the chip itself working(looks like it's in bad shape), but if the alternative is tossing it, may be worth a shot.

Yeah I'll give it a try but doesn't like theres much to work with in terms of leg, I'm going to try getting some solder in the hole and we'll see what happens. 

pokemon red 2.jpeg

1 minute ago, Captain Insano said:

Yeah I'll give it a try but doesn't like theres much to work with in terms of leg, I'm going to try getting some solder in the hole and we'll see what happens. 

pokemon red 2.jpeg

Put some solder in the hole then once it's set warm it up again and jam a little jumper leg in there.  if you leave it long enough you may be able to attach it to the pad on the board.  just make sure you bend the jumper into position BEFORE you solder it in the chip.  I might just be enough of a connection.  

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

NorthridgeFix did a video last months on repairing a car keyfob with a missing pin (without removing the chip), which is probably relevant to your situation:

He ended up using a rotary tool to remove some of the outer plastic of the chip, which exposed a chip pin to solder a jumper too.

First he tried the rotary tool on a donor to see if it works, that starts at 2:34. Then he did it on the real chip at 3:25, finally soldering a jumper cable at 5:30

I reckon that's your best bet, but still no confirmation that would work.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 hours ago, minibois said:

NorthridgeFix did a video last months on repairing a car keyfob with a missing pin (without removing the chip), which is probably relevant to your situation:

He ended up using a rotary tool to remove some of the outer plastic of the chip, which exposed a chip pin to solder a jumper too.

First he tried the rotary tool on a donor to see if it works, that starts at 2:34. Then he did it on the real chip at 3:25, finally soldering a jumper cable at 5:30

I reckon that's your best bet, but still no confirmation that would work.

Thanks for the advice I gave this a try, Nintendo logo showing up on boot now at least, I'll mess around with it more tomorrow but this has gotten some results. Felt stressful digging into the chip lol

6 hours ago, Captain Insano said:

Thanks for the advice I gave this a try, Nintendo logo showing up on boot now at least, I'll mess around with it more tomorrow but this has gotten some results. Felt stressful digging into the chip lol

If you haven't done so already, check out this video from TronicsFix:

It's about the repair of GameBoy Pokemon games, so perhaps one of them has the same symptoms as your game and it can give some more ideas.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/