Htc Vive Cosmos Elite

Icy.Zach

Just chasing some help from some more knowledgeable people.

I am not sure if anyway has achieved this reliably but i want to leave my PC in my office and have my HTC vive cosmos in my living room about 15M away cable length away. I am thinking thunderbolt 3 (i have never used thunderbolt) i am very open to the idea of changing my mind on this technology. But i would like to display the computer screen on the TV for people watching via hdmi i need multiple USB inputs at the tv location along with the big one being able to play the HTC vive with low latency as i don't want motion sickness. I do have Ethernet cat 6 at both locations via a gigabit switch, but as far as i understand doing any video encoding and decoding via Ethernet i will experience to much latency and will lead to motion sickness on the vive. If this all is not possible then i don't want to gamble (and never use it because it doesn't work) and would rather spend the money on building a new PC for that room but would much rather use what i currently have and save the money along with not making extra ewaste in the future. But i am happy to spend some money on getting it right the first time. Thank you.

Vive Resolution: 1440 x 1700  per eye 2880 x 1700 combined

Refresh rate: 90 Hz

Tv: 1920 x 1080p am happy to set the tv resolution to 1080p to make it work if i need to.

Refresh rate: 60Hz

Usb: Mouse, Keyboard, Htc vive, 3x xbox controllers (happy to use a powered usb hub as long as the bandwidth/controller supports it)

If you have the ability to use thunderbolt 3 on that desktop (i.e. it's Intel based. AMD isn't compatible with thunderbolt 3) you could try optical thunderbolt. You'll probably need a thunderbolt add-in card, an optical thunderbolt cable from Corning long enough to reach your living room, and a powered thunderbolt 3 hub. All in you're looking at probably about $700 USD or probably more in local equivalent if you aren't in the US.

If it's an AMD desktop there's no good way to cross that distance that's cheaper than just buying a new PC.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

would either of these docks be suited? Nothing is listing 90Hz but i am assuming as i lower the resolution the frame rate can be increased, Also not sure if the vive is counted as a single monitor or as two monitors as far as i can tell thunderbolt 3 only supports 2 monitors and i wish to run both the vive and the tv in the other room. 

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/laptops-&-notebooks/docking-stations/93213-simprodock-2

$359 AUD

or 

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/laptops-&-notebooks/docking-stations/92001-nba-inf-thublt3--dockg

$439 AUD

With this expansion card

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/motherboards/accessories/93692-thunderboltex-4

$199 AUD

And the cable would have to be

https://www.amazon.com/Corning-Meter-Thunderbolt-USB-C-Optical/dp/B08CKC2RL2

$409 AUD

so i would be looking around the $967-$1047 AUD mark to run the HTC vive in another room. Thunderbolt would be the only thing capable of doing this sort of thing is that correct?