Run Ubiquiti Unifi G3 cameras without Ubiquiti NVR?

Lochie A

Hi all,

I was looking at buying three Unifi G3 Cameras to setup some surveillance however, as I am on a budget I don't want to have to spend more money on a Ubiquiti NVR to run them and be able to record and access them remotely on my phone. I have tried some googling but I am struggling to find a definite answer on whether I can use these cameras without the NVR and rather with something running on a Linux or windows machine and still be able to record and remotely view them. I also have a synology NAS if there is some software I can run on there which is compatible. The only information I have found so far on the topic is that it use to be possible but apparently Ubiquiti discontinued the ability to remotely view the cameras. 

TLDR: I want to be able to use all the functions on these cameras: recording and remote viewing, without having to pay another $500 AUD on a NVR.

Also if this post is better suited in a topic other than networking please let me know. 

You are going to need a Ubiquiti CloudKey gen 2 Plus with Unifi Protect or a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro with these cameras
since Ubiquiti Video Controller doesn't work anymore and isn't maintainedUbiquiti UniFi Cloud Key Gen2 Plus kopen? - Prijzen - Tweakers

Minecraft plugin developer

Desktop:
CPU= I5 12400F
RAM = 2x 32gb DDR4 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance LPX
Motherboard = MSI Z690-A-PRO Wifi DDR4
GPU= RTX 3050
SSD = Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU= Corsair RM750

Laptop:
CPU= AMD Ryzen 5 5500u
RAM= 1X 4gb (soldered 3200mhz), 1x 16gb ddr4 3200mhz (so-dimm)
SSD= Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

Thanks for the reply,

Would you be able to recommend any other ip cameras that I would be able to use with something like my synology NAS?

18 minutes ago, Lochie A said:

Thanks for the reply,

Would you be able to recommend any other ip cameras that I would be able to use with something like my synology NAS?

Nope sorry.

Minecraft plugin developer

Desktop:
CPU= I5 12400F
RAM = 2x 32gb DDR4 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance LPX
Motherboard = MSI Z690-A-PRO Wifi DDR4
GPU= RTX 3050
SSD = Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU= Corsair RM750

Laptop:
CPU= AMD Ryzen 5 5500u
RAM= 1X 4gb (soldered 3200mhz), 1x 16gb ddr4 3200mhz (so-dimm)
SSD= Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

34 minutes ago, Lochie A said:

Pretty much any generic IP camera that isn't tied to an activation platform (the cheap doorbell cameras like Ring) and spits out an MJPEG, H.264, or H.265 stream should work. Amcrest and Axis cameras are both good in my experience.

Check Synology's support page to see which cameras Surveillance Station has been validated with.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.