Making a pc build for my friend. is this good or no?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7cRrmr

I'd go with this. You could swap the 6700XT for a 6600XT or a 6600 if it needs to be cheaper.

Budget (including currency): $1300

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

ALLL NEW

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DannyV./saved/tGCqHx

do you need 32GB of ram? 16 is enough for gaming ect.

If you want to get a better gpu and dont mind buying used you can get 2070's for 350ish second hand.

everything else seems fine in terms of price to preformance.

If you want future upgradibility I would go intel but its a nitpick at this point. You can always upgrade to a 5800x if needed or whatever.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

5 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

do you need 32GB of ram? 16 is enough for gaming ect.

If you want to get a better gpu and dont mind buying used you can get 2070's for 350ish second hand.

everything else seems fine in terms of price to preformance.

If you want future upgradibility I would go intel but its a nitpick at this point. You can always upgrade to a 5800x if needed or whatever.

32 gb just bc he wanted it. Well my friends wants something to last him a while so, yes upgradability in the future and he wants everything new.

7 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

4 dollars over budget but I think it's worth it

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xZX44s

12400f is a solid cpu for gaming, that's what ill assume you'll be doing since there's no info there.

Cheap aftermarket cooler since the 12400f dosent run that hot 

Cheapest kit of 16gb ram

Cheap 1tb storage

Massively improved card over the 3050

Good Case that's on sale currently 

11 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Cheap aftermarket cooler since the 12400f dosent run that hot 

Interested in the cooler, i looked up some reviews and according to some review on 150w load this thing kept it at 79C, hes good for an upgrade path if he so wishes as well

33 minutes ago, Garfieldthe cat said:

32 gb just bc he wanted it. Well my friends wants something to last him a while so, yes upgradability in the future and he wants everything new.

The 12600k is something of a bet that ecores will become useful for gaming. It’s got 6 pcores but also has some ecores.  Games won’t run on ecores atm though.  It’s sort of almost but not quite an 8 core.  I personally consider it the least powerful cpu with a possible long term future in gaming. Would go 12600, but the non k seems to have no e-cores.  It’s effectively just a 12400 with a hotted up base clock.  If you aren’t interested in ecores at all the 12400f is a possibility.  I consider the 5600x and the 12400f to be direct competitors. The 12400f will play all current and some future games just fine, but the consoles are 8/16 so there is a real possibility that some future games will need 8/16.  The 12600k is sort of a hedge against that. With both intel’s and AMD’s next chip also working on the current motherboards though there starts to be an argument for buying the lowest end cpu that will work and then upgrading if necessary.  So 5600x or 12400f then.  Currently the afaik the 12400f is winning bang/buck currently, though all AMD has to do to change that is lower prices on the 5600x.  The 12400f is barely above $100 atm though their motherboards tend to be more expensive.  If the 5600x matched the 12400f in price it would win due to cheaper motherboards. This may have already happened.  In order to keep the motherboard useful thogh it’s got to have strong enough VRM to be able to take a more powerful cpu later in it becomes necessary.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, SircarrotII said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SircarrotII/saved/#view=qVN9CJ

How about this? If you want to you can upgrade to 32gb of ram.

Ooh! A 5 pipe cooler for cheap.  If it’s got good pipes it should handle a 12700 no problem

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

29 minutes ago, yonter25 said:

Interested in the cooler

Yea thermalright is a brand that's pretty known in this forum, especially the peerless assassin which most people like to recommend lol.

1 hour ago, Ryuikko said:

Yea thermalright is a brand that's pretty known in this forum, especially the peerless assassin which most people like to recommend lol.

There was a pretty good video on GN recently about budget coolers.  Didn’t test the one mentioned in @SircarrotII’s build though.  The question remains how good the pipes are though.  There are 6 pipe coolers that are total garbage. 5 pipes is enough to move the heat for a 12700.  If they’re good pipes.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There was a pretty good video on GN recently about budget coolers.  Didn’t test the one mentioned in @SircarrotII’s build though.  The question remains how good the pipes are though

I'm pretty sure he did a review on one

Afiak thermalrights coolers are pretty good in terms of perfromance with their Heat pipes and thermal distribution so I usually put them in my list with 12400fs and 12700fs

Just now, Ryuikko said:

I'm pretty sure he did a review on one

Afiak thermalrights coolers are pretty good in terms of perfromance with their Heat pipes and thermal distribution so I usually put them in my list with 12400fs and 12700fs

Was it a thermalright though?  My memory is vetroo is a different company.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Was it a thermalright though?  My memory is vetroo is a different company.

Yea it is, I guess I wasn't clear lol. The video was about the vetroo v5. I can probably find one about gn reviewing a thermalright cooler like this one 

Yea it is, I guess I wasn't clear lol. The video was about the vetroo v5. I can probably find one about gn reviewing a thermalright cooler like this one 

So pcpartspicker has it wrong and the maker isn’t a company called vetroo it’s thermalright. GN doesn’t say this.  They’re comparing a thermalright assassin spirit with a ventoo cooler.  Iirc this is a different video than the one I watched though it is also good.  In that video it was mentioned that some cooler or other was removed from sale and they went with something called an “assassin king” which was more or less the same cooler but cost more money and was no longer a bang/buck contender as it now competed with different coolers.

Edited by Bombastinator

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

So pcpartspicker has it wrong and the maker isn’t a company called vetroo it’s thermalright

Oh I see I think we're both confused here lol.

Here I was talking about the thermalright cooler and above I linked a vetroo v5 review so I'd guess the assumption was that thermalright made the vetroo v5, my bad lol. 

Vetroo and thermalright are 2 different brands, though I unintentially made the line ambiguous

16 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Oh I see I think we're both confused here lol.

Here I was talking about the thermalright cooler and above I linked a vetroo v5 review so I'd guess the assumption was that thermalright made the vetroo v5, my bad lol. 

Vetroo and thermalright are 2 different brands, though I unintentially made the line ambiguous

What I have seen is there is more or less 4 or perhaps 3.5 cooler classes.  There’s the sub $30 stuff that is more or less intel stock cooler replacement.  The. There is the “budget” cooler which is usually 4 pipe but occasionally 3 if the pipes are unusually big, which would include 212evos dark rock slims and stuff.  Then there are 5 pipe coolers.  Noctua makes one or used to, that are a sort of mid step between budget coolers and big air.  Big air coolers are the assassin 3s, legrande machos, and dh15s.  These are generally 6 (or sometimes 7) pipe often (but not always) dual tower coolers.  Pretty much every cooler manufacturer has at least one.  Scythe has several. They tend to perform very similarly with small differences.  My move is to look for the least popular one because the ones that aren’t selling well are around $60 whereas the ones that are are around $100.  A big enough difference to make the research worth it. 

the GN favorite in the video I saw the preferred cooler was the Fuma2, which was a not real good big air cooler, but priced like a 5 pipe which made it a spanking deal. What I am seeing is a 5 pipe priced like a 4 pipe which has serious potential.  There have been stock class coolers with 6 pipes though (the pipes were thin, aluminum, and had a cheap and crappy wicking system) the way I think of the breakdown it seems to be more or less low end ($20-30), budget ($30-40) 5 pipe ($40-60) and big air (60-100). After that it’s AIOs

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($249.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-224-XT Basic 76.16 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($85.67 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 LHR 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING iCX3 Video Card  ($589.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone FARA H1M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($66.06 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($8.10 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($8.10 @ Amazon)
Total: $1299.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-06 02:34 EDT-0400