is it good to use ubuntu in 2022

Zyssekoski22

Your going to have to provide more details on what you want to know because is it good to use in 2022 is subjective.

For my case using ubuntu is absolutely fine as I just need a few basic linux virtual machines to perform specific functions such as PiHole and Cloudflare Dynamic DNS updating.

Depends on what you want out of it. Saying it was crap doesn't exactly tell us why you found it to be unsuitable for your use case.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

On 7/5/2022 at 1:46 PM, Zyssekoski22 said:

I used Ubuntu in 2016-2018 aaaand it was crap.

Elaboration required, because I say the same exact same thing about MS Windows and MacOS

Why did you find it to be crap, what specs were you using, and what programs were you using the computer for? What hardware do you have now, and what programs do you need to run on it? 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

• 3 months later...
On 7/8/2022 at 10:23 PM, LloydLynx said:

Why did you find it to be crap, what specs were you using, and what programs were you using the computer for? What hardware do you have now, and what programs do you need to run on it? 

I had like intel pentium ???? and it was LAGGY as hell

Might've wanted to try Lubuntu or other more lightweight distros. We used it on a 2008 Pentium at school and it ran perfect.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

On 10/17/2022 at 9:53 AM, Zyssekoski22 said:

I had like intel pentium ???? and it was LAGGY as hell

On good hardware, normal Ubuntu is very snappy. But it's not what I'd recommend for ageing systems. @Underi is right that you'd be better off with Lubuntu or Xubuntu if you're running something old. 

But even then, running old hardware will basically always be a bad experience. Unlike macOS or Windows, there's no single list of hardware definitely supported by Ubuntu. But, that doesn't mean there's no hope. You can check out https://www.linux.com/news/my-hardware-linux-compatible-find-out-here/ for some good ways to see if what you've got is supported.

Generally though, here's my initial assumption for any system I'm about to install Linux on.

• Anything reasonably new and reasonably powerful is going to run Ubuntu just fine
  • Anything old but was reasonably powerful at launch or new but not so powerful will run Xubuntu or Lubuntu just fine
  • Anything old and that was pretty weak at the time it was launched will likely struggle with any modern desktop GUI.