Thoughts on Hard Disk Direct?

CPotter
11 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

The site is not loading for me.

image.png.56f1b867bacc3707c094e158889aff65.png

region locked?  Loading fine for me.

Site works fine for me, but never heard of them before. (the Netherlands)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to see the price for 20 TB and 18 TB HDDs on their website but the search is so awful. The filters are also non-sensical: if you go to the Internal HDD section they only have one filter for capacity range "500GB - 960GB" lol

On 7/5/2022 at 7:28 PM, HanZie82 said:

Site works fine for me, but never heard of them before. (the Netherlands)

same, but in Poland

Do they just specialize or cater to companies / folks that think they need an exact model disk as a replacement? This is the only reason I can think that they list refurbished 1 TB SATA drives at $600+ USD? If my old WD Raptor drives are worth close to $1k, perhaps it's time for me to cash out...

On 7/16/2022 at 9:46 PM, OhioYJ said:

Do they just specialize or cater to companies / folks that think they need an exact model disk as a replacement?

It would seem that way? Although maybe there are cases where you absolutely need one specific drive?

On the other hand, there's also stuff like a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ for $1656. They're literally $10 on Ebay and certainly not OEM-Specific.

I wonder what their supposed value/sales pitch is?

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

"We Accept POs from Fortune 1000 Companies, Government Agencies (Federal, State, Local), Defense (Military, Air Force, Navy), Universities, Schools and Colleges".

Orders from people who don't care about the price, as long as it's in some budget.

That's their angle, I guess.

Some hard drive fails in a school computer and the idiot director / manager of the school forces the IT person / teacher to order the exact same model and doesn't care about price.Or same but some factory scenario, where a machine needs a particular drive.

$832 for a laptop dvd-rw ... 

$258 for a 300w Delta DPS-300AB-9B power supply (you can buy in <100$ refurbished dell computers) 

$116 for UF-ADAPTER-APC-50 - Ubiquiti UFiber APC Adapter , which costs 8$ on Ubiquiti's store : https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-accessories/products/ufiber-adapter-apc and around 10$ in my country.

A big NO from me.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, we decided "no" to this one.