Added Another RAM Module, Now Screen Randomly Dies

bleedblue
Go to solution Solved by aisle9,

Have you tried running the system without the new stick of RAM since the problems started? "Matched sets" are no longer a thing from a stability standpoint.

I bought a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 recently with the ff specs:
R5 3600H
RTX 3050

8GB 3200Mhz RAM

512GB NVME SSD

Used it for a few days without issue as I was waiting for the extra RAM module I ordered. I got another stick of 8GB 3200Mhz to match the speed, but I neglected to match the manufacturer because I didn't think it mattered that much. the preinstalled module was from Samsung and the one I got was from Kingston. 

It didn't have any problems at first, I got better performance in games and such, but if I move the laptop when it's on too much, the screen goes black. I thought I must've hit the display's ribbon cable or something else when opening it up. I reopened the thing and checked all the connections and couldn't see anything wrong. Anyone have any ideas? Could it have been a bad module? But it runs perfectly provided I don't move it around too much, and wouldn't bad memory result to a BSOD?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Have you tried running the system without the new stick of RAM since the problems started? "Matched sets" are no longer a thing from a stability standpoint.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

17 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I just ran it with the preinstalled RAM in slot 1 by itself, no problems. Then I switched to the new RAM in slot 1 by itself, also no problem. So I tried with the Samsung RAM in slot 2, and boom, random black screen. Looks like I got a bad slot. This thing's not even a week old so return shouldn't be an issue. Thanks!

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

2 hours ago, bleedblue said:

I just ran it with the preinstalled RAM in slot 1 by itself, no problems. Then I switched to the new RAM in slot 1 by itself, also no problem. So I tried with the Samsung RAM in slot 2, and boom, random black screen. Looks like I got a bad slot. This thing's not even a week old so return shouldn't be an issue. Thanks!

Yeah, that definitely sounds like the motherboard has issues. Nice stroke of luck that you caught it early.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.