"A Low-End GPU Never Makes Sense..." So what do I buy NEW?

Kikorusan
Go to solution Solved by xAcid9,

Depend on your local pricing, the new Radeon 6400 is pretty good value for low end GPU.

Compare to GT1030

performance-per-dollar_1920-1080.png

Performance compare to the new GTX1630

average-fps_1920_1080.png

In the latest WAN Show July 1, 2022, At around 1:41:25 Linus said not to spend money for low-tier gpu's.  What would be the "cheapest" new GPU that's not a waste of money? I have an i5-7400 that I currently used with its integrated graphics 630. It's my office PC that used to be my gaming pc at home. My company has re-continued doing night shifts and so the air-condition is turned on along with the lights... I spend around 2-3 hours after I time-out playing some light games like CIV 6, motorsports manager, paper's please. Would like to get a relatively cheap GPU to primarily play Starcraft 2 Coop at Medium. What GPU should I get?

My original plan was to pick-up the cheapest Intel ARC gpu but you all know how that turned out xD

He encourages people to buy used decent GPUs over new mediocre GPUs.

This obviously depends on where you live and what re-sellers are available to you.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Below about $200 or so, there really isn't any good options that can be had brand new. The performance/dollar proposition is pretty terrible.

If you must have new, lowest I could recommend would probably be something along the lines of a GTX 1650. This should easily get you high. is not maxed out settings in Starcraft 2 at 1080P.

For used, I'd look at a GTX 1060, or maybe an RX 480. Both will make easy work of the games you specified as well.

For reference. A brand new GT 1030 DDR5 (the variant that would actually be faster than your Intel HD) costs about $115-$135. A used GTX 1060 can be had for about $20 more, and is multiple times faster, probably 4-5x at minimum. The DDR3 variant is close enough to your Intel HD 530 that it's not worth looking at.

Not only have low end cards faced pressure from the used market, iGPUs have also become considerably more capable over the years as well. Meaning you're spending more money for a card that may represent only a modest performance improvement.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

21 minutes ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

He encourages people to buy used decent GPUs over new mediocre GPUs.

This obviously depends on where you live and what re-sellers are available to you.

14 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Below about $200 or so, there really isn't any good options that can be had brand new. The performance/dollar proposition is pretty terrible.

If you must have new, lowest I could recommend would probably be something along the lines of a GTX 1650. This should easily get you high. is not maxed out settings in Starcraft 2 at 1080P.

For used, I'd look at a GTX 1060, or maybe an RX 480. Both will make easy work of the games you specified as well.

For reference. A brand new GT 1030 DDR5 (the variant that would actually be faster than your Intel HD) costs about $115-$135. A used GTX 1060 can be had for about $20 more, and is multiple times faster, probably 4-5x at minimum. The DDR3 variant is close enough to your Intel HD 530 that it's not worth looking at.

Not only have low end cards faced pressure from the used market, iGPUs have also become considerably more capable over the years as well. Meaning you're spending more money for a card that may represent only a modest performance improvement.

Is the RX 6400 considered a decent GPU and/or along the lines of a GTX 1650?

Depend on your local pricing, the new Radeon 6400 is pretty good value for low end GPU.

Compare to GT1030

performance-per-dollar_1920-1080.png

Performance compare to the new GTX1630

average-fps_1920_1080.png

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

11 minutes ago, Kikorusan said:

Is the RX 6400 considered a decent GPU and/or along the lines of a GTX 1650?

It probably isn't quite as fast, but if it's close to the RX 6500 (same chip, just cut down), then it's probably fine for the games you mentioned, so long as you can get one close to $130 or lower. Well above $150 is a pass for me. The card is probably a step slower than my GTX 960 I bought for $180, seven years prior.

Edit: should come out to slightly faster than my 960, though by such a small amount that the value proposition doesn't move much.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…