Ethernet connection weirdness

tccalvin

Guys, I'm going crazy. I can't figure out what's wrong.

I have a pc hooked up to a router via ethernet, and it all looks good. Windows says I have access to the internet, then I open a chrome tab to run a speedtest and it either never loads or does so extremely slowly.

This is a 200+ mb/s connection, so the issue can't be the speed. The wifi works fine with all devices. I even hooked a ps4 via ethernet and didn't seem to have any issue. Swapped the cable, no difference. But you know what the weirdest thing is? If I remove the cable and plug it back in the router x amount of times the issue eventually goes away, the connection is at full speed and it magically works as if it didn't have any problem to begin with. I have to do this at every reboot. I thought it was an IP address thing, but even after specifying a static one it STILL exhibits this weird behaviour. 

I really don't know what to do :c plz help

If you need any more info I can provide it hopefully.

6 hours ago, MrMase said:

Have you tried rebooting the router and updating your network card drivers?

I would recommend a router reboot and driver update a well however, i would also recommend the following steps.

Verify that you are using the proper DNS settings on that ethernet port on your PC, are you currently using a Static IP address where you had to manually enter in information? You may have entered something incorrectly. Also look into other things on your network as well, are you running any sort of VPN or Adblocking services (pi-hole, Adguard, ect..) they may be causing issues as well (not saying you should not run them just that they maybe be misconfigured)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, thank you very much for the replies. Sorry for taking so long. 

I have rebooted the router many times to no avail.

I have tried updating my network card's drivers, and after I did it worked flawlessly for about 3 days, until today when I booted up the pc and it reverted back to the old behavior. That is, it tells me there is absolutely no problem with the connection but I can't even boot up a speedtest without it failing. It looks as if it only transfers the tiniest amount of data every few minutes. But then I take the cable out, put it in the port again and... magic: everything works perfectly with 700mb, no hiccups and 16ms ping.

It's basically become a coin toss every time I boot the pc. Is it going to work right away today? No? Time to unplug the cable and plug it back in until it magically works again...

It's driving me crazy :c

use CMD

type in ping google.de -t

type in the IP of your router -t

and let it run, what we are looking for are spikes and if you have spikes on the router ping that means router problem if you have problems with google it is internet problem 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

One thing this could be is Windows Updates installing network drivers on top of the ones you had installed that resolved the problem.

I would suggest checking the driver version numbers of the currently running one and the version installed that had fixed the issue.

If the issue then returns compare the driver version numbers and Windows Update history to see if this is what happened.

On 7/25/2022 at 1:22 PM, SamClan said:

type in the IP of your router -t

Tried this... it's definitely a problem between the pc and the router, but I'm not sure it's the router. In any case the data stream is very intermittent, it goes from complete nothing to kind of working to complete nothing again but in practice it's way too slow and inconsistent to load up websites (today I got the speedtest to display 0.01mb/s while internet "wasn't working").

On 7/26/2022 at 12:21 AM, MrMase said:

I would suggest checking the driver version numbers of the currently running one and the version installed that had fixed the issue.

The driver numbers definitely didn't match up (the latest one is 1125.1.714.2021 and windows says it's 10.23.1003.2017), however after uninstalling and re-installing the driver again it still shows up as 2017 in windows so I don't know what's up with that. Also installing the driver again doesn't fix anything so I have to assume I was just lucky to get a 3-day streak of working internet.

Other updates:

Disabling and re-enabling the network card has the same effect of fixing the problem as removing the cable and plugging it back in.

Once the connection starts working it does not stop working until I turn off the pc.

The network card really behaves as though it were half-asleep on bootup (and windows still thinks it works), but then "wakes up" as I disable it and enable it again and from then on it works as intended.

This is so weird guys...

Thank you again for your replies. Hope we can get to the bottom of this.

EDIT: Another update: since it bothered me that windows couldn't recognize the newer version of the driver, I found an even more up to date version and this one actually shows up in the network card info... let's see how this goes.

Edited by tccalvin