Hard drive question.

6 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Keep in mind, two things are important factors with HDDs... RPM, and cache. Larger cache = faster throughput. Think of it as a buffer for what the machine knows it will be reading, that the HDD can be commanded to run ahead and prepare it. Some 7200s do not have a cache at all, or a very large one if they do. 128MB is good, 256MB is better. There are some out there with more, but they are pricey, of course.

MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) is important also, but a foregone conclusion in this day and age. It was a bigger deal when we were dealing with 20MB - 160MB drives, not, 4TB - 20TB.

If I may pick your brain, one last time for an opinion on two products, I'd greatly appreciate it.

First: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MSDJGVJ/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Second: https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST18000NM000J-Internal-Surveillance-Supported/dp/B08K98VFXT/ref=sr_1_6?crid=21BQXHSC9VP04&keywords=enterprise%2Bdrive%2B20tb&qid=1656734379&sprefix=enterprise%2Bdrive%2B20tb%2Caps%2C79&sr=8-6&th=1

100 bucks, for 2tb seems crazy, but I don't know much of seagate. 

8 minutes ago, ThisIsChew said:

I'm a bit biased towards WD, especially having seen some data indicating that Seagate does a bit of bait-and-switch with statistics on some of their products (leading consumers to believe all their products run a certain speed or have a certain throughput, etc.), when they do not, only on certain models, likely the reason the Seagate seems so much better of a price. WD is a bit more straightforward about this on their site, Seagate buries it in multi-product stat sheets that no one wants to read through. I like what I see with the WD... 512MB cache is clutch, and 41% off to boot -- I almost want to buy one for the web / media machine I'm working on, but I already have a 6TB Black. Also, read reviews and see what the one-stars have to say. Then compare those to the four and five-stars.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

I'm a bit biased towards WD, especially having seen some data indicating that Seagate does a bit of bait-and-switch with statistics on some of their products (leading consumers to believe all their products run a certain speed or have a certain throughput, etc.), when they do not, only on certain models. WD is a bit more straightforward about this on their site, Seagate buries it in multi-product stat sheets that no one wants to read through. I like what I see with the WD... 512MB cache is clutch, and 41% off to boot -- I almost want to buy one for the web / media machine I'm working on, but I already have a 6TB Black.

Well hell, I better get mine before you lmfao.

Really do appreciate you and everyone else who came in to help me learn a little here. Thanks again buddy.

2 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

Keep in mind, two things are important factors with HDDs... RPM, and cache. Larger cache = faster throughput. Think of it as a buffer for what the machine knows it will be reading, that the HDD can be commanded to run ahead and prepare it. Some 7200s do not have a cache at all, or a very large one if they do. 128MB is good, 256MB is better. There are some out there with more, but they are pricey, of course.

MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) is important also, but a foregone conclusion in this day and age. It was a bigger deal when we were dealing with 20MB - 160MB drives, not, 4TB - 20TB.

When you are dealing with files of 176gb per file, 256mb of cache is pretty meaningless.

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

When you are dealing with files of 176gb per file, 256mb of cache is pretty meaningless.

Outside of the lower cache, you think 7200rpm 3.5 drives are fast enough to keep up with the file sizes being made 5gb per minute or so?

9 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

First, an M.2 is not a hard drive, it is a solid state drive.

9 hours ago, ThisIsChew said:

I realized after I posted that rather then "hard" drive, I should have put storage.

Hard drive is acceptable under general terminology for an SSD.  HDD is not.  

As to the topic,  you can try working with a bigger HDD,  see if you care about the speed difference.   I personally wouldn't bother with anything special to start with.   Either way just make sure you have backups so a failure isn't the end of the hobby.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, ThisIsChew said:

It's videos through OBS. Sorry to ask something of you, but I couldn't find that sheet anywhere. Would you mind to link it? Would really help me with my search for future drives. Crystal disk puts the drive health at 98%, which I would have figured took into account what the drive should be able to do, but I guess it does something entirely different then what I thought. 

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-green-sn350-nvme-ssd

Go to the "Specifications" header, scroll down to "Resources" and download the data sheet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 hour ago, ThisIsChew said:

Outside of the lower cache, you think 7200rpm 3.5 drives are fast enough to keep up with the file sizes being made 5gb per minute or so?

150MB/s is pretty normal (a bit conservative for a quality HDD) and that equates to about 9GB per minute.

6 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-green-sn350-nvme-ssd

Go to the "Specifications" header, scroll down to "Resources" and download the data sheet.

Thanks man. I would have never figured it was so low. I have an old 950 pro 256gb with about 1320 days powered on and 55tb written as my boot drive and it's still going perfect.
Appreciate the time and knowledge. 

6 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

150MB/s is pretty normal (a bit conservative for a quality HDD) and that equates to about 9GB per minute.

Ahh, love the help, ever with the math done for me. Thanks for the time and help my friend.