GPU Not Working After System Reboot On Dell Optiplex 7040

Praj
Go to solution Solved by An0maly_76,

Cable is certainly an easier, cheaper fix, and less hassle. Especially if you send it the machine / GPU in for warranty and they say nothing's wrong with it.

I currently have an AMD Radeon RX 6400 plugged into the second PCIe slot on my Dell Optiplex 7040MT. It works fine when I first boot up into Windows 10 while being plugged into the gpu via HDMI. After rebooting, video is not outputted to the gpu at all. But if I plug into the apu, video is outputted. I would like to note that in the Dell BIOS, there is a setting called Video Controller. It says, "This setting is visible when multiple video controllers are connected to your computer. Three options are below. The auto settings defaults to the onboard video controller." The three options in the BIOS settings are Auto, Intel HD Graphics, and ATI Radeon HD Graphics. Auto was first selected even with a gpu installed while the hdmi cable was also plugged into the gpu. Changing the video controller graphics to ATI Radeon HD Graphics seems ok at first. After you save the settings and leave the BIOs and reboot the computer, the computer does not give a video output through the gpu. Switching to the onboard graphics even doesn't display video out. No video is outputted whether it's plugged into the gpu or even the motherboard. The only way to resolve this is to fully unplug the gpu from the motherboard let windows boot up, shut it down, plug in the gpu again and plug in the cable back into it. It then boots up fine as if nothing had ever happened. This is really irritating and not efficient. Is there any way to possibly fix this dumb issue?

Current build:

Windows 10 x64

32GB DDR4 2133MHz

Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz

AMD Radeon RX 6400

WD 1TB SN570 Gen 3

I've had a similar random issue on startup with an RTX3060ti. I originally thought mine was coming unseated from the slot, but I seem to have narrowed it down to cable or HDMI port. The last time it did this (yesterday), I had previously ensured nothing could be pushing or unlatching the GPU, and even hung a support wire to eliminate lateral stress on the card and socket. Yesterday, it did it again, and unplugging and reinserting the HDMI cable fixed it. The machine has presumably been booting fine every time, but either the cable or the HDMI port were flaking out and not getting video to the display. Got a new cable on the way, but I suspect it's an HDMI port issue, seems to me a cable would have been more frequent.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

6 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I've had a similar random issue on startup with an RTX3060ti. I originally thought mine was coming unseated from the slot, but I seem to have narrowed it down to cable or HDMI port. The last time it did this (yesterday), I had previously ensured nothing could be pushing or unlatching the GPU, and even hung a support wire to eliminate lateral stress on the card and socket. Yesterday, it did it again, and unplugging and reinserting the HDMI cable fixed it. The machine has presumably been booting fine every time, but either the cable or the HDMI port were flaking out and not getting video to the display. Got a new cable on the way, but I suspect it's an HDMI port issue, seems to me a cable would have been more frequent.

Oh no. From what you've said about the hdmi cable being faulty, it may actually be the hdmi port on my gpu cause my hdmi cable worked fine when I had been using my laptop with it for about a year. But then again, it never displayed anything out via onboard graphics either through its hdmi port. So it could also be the cable?? I'm so confused lol, but I'll try a new cable and update you on how it goes. Thanks 😀

Cable is certainly an easier, cheaper fix, and less hassle. Especially if you send it the machine / GPU in for warranty and they say nothing's wrong with it.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

So, I was setting up my second monitor that uses displayport and guess what. The gpu was first outputting to displayport, then hdmi. So this entire time I thought something was wrong with my gpu or my computer, it was simply just outputting to displayport. So glad that I got this issue solved. Thanks for the help!

50 minutes ago, Praj said:

So, I was setting up my second monitor that uses displayport and guess what. The gpu was first outputting to displayport, then hdmi. So this entire time I thought something was wrong with my gpu or my computer, it was simply just outputting to displayport. So glad that I got this issue solved. Thanks for the help!

That's really strange, they shouldn't do that. It should output to any output connected.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!