Got My Friend To Upgrade His Ryzen CPU And Now It's BSOD At Random Intervals

Go to solution Solved by svmlegacy,
11 minutes ago, Stalin_Pepe said:

Got My Friend To Upgrade From A Ryzen 5 3600 To A Ryzen 9 5900X And Now It's Blue Screening Randomly Even After Multiple Windows Re-Installs/Clean Installs, I'm At A Dead End At This Point, The MotherBoard Is a Asrock b450m steel legend, I Did Have Him Update The BIOS To The Latest Version Since The Version His Board Was On Didn't Support The New CPU  (That's All The Info I Currently Have At Time Of Posting)

Do yourself a favour and clear CMOS. What memory speed are you running? B450 and Zen3 are fine together, so long as everything else is up to snuff.

Got My Friend To Upgrade From A Ryzen 5 3600 To A Ryzen 9 5900X And Now It's Blue Screening Randomly Even After Multiple Windows Re-Installs/Clean Installs, I'm At A Dead End At This Point, The MotherBoard Is a Asrock b450m steel legend, I Did Have Him Update The BIOS To The Latest Version Since The Version His Board Was On Didn't Support The New CPU  (That's All The Info I Currently Have At Time Of Posting)

Edited by Stalin_Pepe
Missed Tags

What is the BSOD code he is getting? Has he tried other BIOS revisions? I've seen it where a BIOS revision is completely broken with memory support, so the system could be POSTing and getting to Windows, but it keeps crashing thanks to a memory error since the memory support is broken. 

Being a 5900X owner, my money is on 5900X + B450, BIOS update or not. You need serious VRM cooling for Zen3s to start with, especially the 5800X-up, but I personally wouldn't run a Zen3 on a B450. Even some B550s need BIOS updates and still have issues with the updates if they don't have sufficient VRM cooling.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

11 minutes ago, Stalin_Pepe said:

Do yourself a favour and clear CMOS. What memory speed are you running? B450 and Zen3 are fine together, so long as everything else is up to snuff.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

His Ram Kit Is Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V, Forgot To Add That To Initial Post, Edit: I'll Get Him To Clear CMOS And Try A Earlier BIOS Version I'll Make A Update Post Here After

Edited by Stalin_Pepe
Added Additional Info

5 minutes ago, Stalin_Pepe said:

His Ram Kit Is Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V, Forgot To Add That To Initial Post 

I rest my case. I was going to ask about that actually. Lots of people showing up here having problems with Ryzens and Corsair RAM lately. I don't know if it only applies to later Ryzens or not, but there definitely seems to be a pattern.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 minutes ago, Stalin_Pepe said:

His Ram Kit Is Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V, Forgot To Add That To Initial Post 

That very well might be the issue, as many Ryzen CPU's have trouble with Corsair DIMM's. Usually people can get it to work with BIOS tweaking, but I don't have any good guides on hand. Hopefully someone who's dealt with the problem can give some further insight.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

4 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I rest my case. I was going to ask about that actually. Lots of people showing up here having problems with Ryzens and Corsair RAM lately. I don't know if it only applies to later Ryzens or not, but there definitely seems to be a pattern.

Very Strange, But He's been Running The Same Kit on His Old Ryzen 5 3600 For A Few Months Now Without Issue, I'm Just Going To Chalk It Up To The BIOS Update Plus CMOS Not Being Cleared

Any Recommended Stable BIOS Versions For The Asrock b450m steel legend I Should Install And Test?, The One Annoying Thing About Asrock Motherboards or This One Is That The Bios Flashing Is Painfully Basic and You Have To Solely Rely On Auto-Detection Of The USB Stick for Flashing, Is That Normal For All Asrock Motherboards Or Does my friend have a One-Off Board? (It Doesn't Have A Dedicated Port To Flash From So It's Some Wierd Cross Between  Automatic Flashing And Manual Flashing)

46 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

30 minutes ago, Stalin_Pepe said:

Very Strange, But He's been Running The Same Kit on His Old Ryzen 5 3600 For A Few Months Now Without Issue, I'm Just Going To Chalk It Up To The BIOS Update Plus CMOS Not Being Cleared

I think part of the problem is the Corsair RAM with the newer Ryzen, and part of it is a 5900X on a B450 board. MSI told me flat out that their own BIOS update for Zen3 could fry my older B450M board, AFTER I'd bought a 5900X on their previous say-so that the BIOS update would work. I'm running an Asus B550 board for my 5900X, care to guess why?

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Update: Ok I Got Him To Clear/Reset The CMOS To Start Off And After An Hour Or So It Has Not Crashed Yet, Will Spend An Extra Few Hours Testing And Report Back

16 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

This Solved The Random BSOD