Modem -> Ethernet-Only Router -> Wireless AP?

FlyScript
Go to solution Solved by cmndr,

Wired router.

Here are two options with 10 gig connections. Note, SFP+ requires you to either use DAC (direct attach copper cables) or an RJ-45 transceiver.

https://store.ui.com/products/udm-pro
https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-QHora-301W-AX3600-Fanless-SD-WAN/dp/B08MQT9ZCX

8 hours ago, cmndr said:

faster networking should probably be low on your list of priorities, provided there isn't an immediate link to faster gear bringing in more income or learning about networking and IT doesn't improve future career prospects. There aren't a ton of use cases that benefit from an internet connection being faster than what 99% of websites provide. Maybe downloading Steam games?

Realistically doing a FULL 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps upgrade can be something like $200 for a modem, $300 for a router, $300 for a switch and then $50-100 per PC that you connect. It's around $1000

Plus a more expensive internet connection..

I'm a DevOps engineer who works from home, lots of pulling and pushing to repos and remoting into machines a thousand miles away! I could also stand to learn some networking stuff, plus I just want to do this because I think it would be a fun project.

I have other future tech projects in mind where having a high bandwidth router would be useful, just some physical security stuff, NAS, maybe a game server or 2, other devices, etc.

And work pays for my internet 😄 Gigabit right now, but AT&T has a nice looking 2 Gig option in my area that I might upgrade to one day, so I definitely want to leave myself open to that

11 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

ISPs that charge a rental, but that's a regional thing

The OP clarified they are in the US. So being charged for a rental is almost a certainty. The only coax based ISP that doesnt charge is Spectrum all others do. 

11 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

bridge mode as if it fails they have to replace it, not you.

Umm there is a thing called a warranty. You send it in and get it repaired. Plus my last cable modem was used for over 5 years and still works, but due to Comcast upgrading our plan it was not able to do the speed so I had to replace it. 

9 hours ago, FlyScript said:

t AT&T has a nice looking 2 Gig option in my area that I might upgrade to one day, so I definitely want to leave myself open to that

Keep in mind with AT&T you have to use their gateway. There is no option on Fiber ISP's to use our own ONT. I have heard the newest AT&T box isnt as crappy but they do support a pass thru mode if you want to use your own router. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 7/1/2022 at 6:25 PM, Donut417 said:

The OP clarified they are in the US. So being charged for a rental is almost a certainty. The only coax based ISP that doesnt charge is Spectrum all others do.

I am indeed in the US, I'm actually with Spectrum too! All my own equipment tho, no rental stuff here

On 7/1/2022 at 6:25 PM, Donut417 said:

Keep in mind with AT&T you have to use their gateway. There is no option on Fiber ISP's to use our own ONT. I have heard the newest AT&T box isnt as crappy but they do support a pass thru mode if you want to use your own router. 

Dang, I'll have to factor the cost of the rental into my decision when I get to that point I guess. But that's good to know, thanks!

32 minutes ago, FlyScript said:

I am indeed in the US, I'm actually with Spectrum too! All my own equipment tho, no rental stuff here

Dang, I'll have to factor the cost of the rental into my decision when I get to that point I guess. But that's good to know, thanks!

Just FYI, AT&T does NOT charge for their ONT/Gateway device but they do charge if you want them to provide anything else (wifi access points and whatnot).

I've got their 5gig service and had the 1g service too before that and never had a charge for the base stuff.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: