Build my own or prebuilt?

Hi all,

So, the majority of the components on my rig are from 2012. The only additions have been cheap, and the most recent improvement was an RX 580. At this point, I'm not sure if I want to build from scratch, or if it just makes sense to buy a prebuilt and get my tinkering fix out on that machine while it ages.

For instance, this Dell machine seems very reasonable so it's making me think it's not a bad idea to go pre built: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-all-in-one-pcs/xps-desktop/spd/xps-8950-desktop/cto8950w11padl3?gacd=9646510-1025-5761040-266794296-0&dgc=st&ds_rl=1282786&gclid=CjwKCAjwzeqVBhAoEiwAOrEmzUacYCR_o9PKTB8nHawohxNcUmrut3LL1ZMULo1fbixwrZkkch1FihoCXKQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&nclid=Bj3oTrre0xLr0KzN5NvZRNSRSyBcDNlZqdTLkS7ogQVu4AQDiMUrJ_Fns0tut8MT

I'm just not sure if building my own is worth it considering the time commitment and work. Any thoughts? The other idea is to just continue Frankensteining my old rig with new parts. Needs a bigger/better airflow case, more storage, a modular power supply, eventually new processor...

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

The thing about Dell desktops is that they cut every corner imaginable. You'll get a shoddy motherboard, crap air cooler, really basic memory, and the only thing that's actually of decent quality is typically the power supply in a Dell prebuilt.

If you want the full performance of the parts you actually paid for, avoiding a prebuilt from the likes of Dell and HP is recommended.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

18 minutes ago, berderder said:

Hi all,

So, the majority of the components on my rig are from 2012. The only additions have been cheap, and the most recent improvement was an RX 580. At this point, I'm not sure if I want to build from scratch, or if it just makes sense to buy a prebuilt and get my tinkering fix out on that machine while it ages.

For instance, this Dell machine seems very reasonable so it's making me think it's not a bad idea to go pre built: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-all-in-one-pcs/xps-desktop/spd/xps-8950-desktop/cto8950w11padl3?gacd=9646510-1025-5761040-266794296-0&dgc=st&ds_rl=1282786&gclid=CjwKCAjwzeqVBhAoEiwAOrEmzUacYCR_o9PKTB8nHawohxNcUmrut3LL1ZMULo1fbixwrZkkch1FihoCXKQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&nclid=Bj3oTrre0xLr0KzN5NvZRNSRSyBcDNlZqdTLkS7ogQVu4AQDiMUrJ_Fns0tut8MT

I'm just not sure if building my own is worth it considering the time commitment and work. Any thoughts? The other idea is to just continue Frankensteining my old rig with new parts. Needs a bigger/better airflow case, more storage, a modular power supply, eventually new processor...

Do NOT bug a prebuilt, they are worse for the money we pay for. Build your own 

I am an advocate for DIY builds. No offense to the pre-build companies like Dell, HP, Ibuypower, Plesio, plasico, speed computerz ect but they give the absolute minimum in terms of spec if it means they can save a buck. If you`re a man/woman that likes decent performance DIY is the way to go.

Unless you want a fireball on your desk, build your own.  It'll be cheaper, better specced and you'll have the peace of mind knowing YOU put it together, not someone who doesn't give a shit about your machine.

Something tells me the community here prefers DIY build haha. But yeah, I get it, that may very well be what I end up doing. If you really had to though, do you recommend any prebuilt brands over others?

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

14 minutes ago, berderder said:

Something tells me the community here prefers DIY build haha. But yeah, I get it, that may very well be what I end up doing. If you really had to though, do you recommend any prebuilt brands over others?

have you seen the Secret Shopper series on the LTT youtube channel? They do a pretty nice deep dive into various prebuilt brands and options. iBuypower, Cyberpower, and maingear for example, can deliver a pretty good product.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, berderder said:

When i was younger i had a pre-built PC it was absolute garbage and the worst part was it cost me 5 months of summer work (i was 13 and saved up 1500$)

Afterwards i returned the PC since it crashed 4 times in a month and went the DIY route with a FX 8350 and a 770ti yes 140 USD more expensive than the prebuilt PC but boy was it a machine that could literally handle anything.

And all the prebuilt PCs that my friends have gotten back at home (Nevada) and in Europe (bulgaria) were literally medicore for the price. The brands use cheap no name Chinese fans that are e-waste from the day they are produced. CL 20 3200 or CL 18 3200 clean ram. Bronze or white rated PSU, cheap plastic cases, bad 5400 rpm HDDs, inefficient SSDs and more, overall there are VERY VERY few companies that would actually do sales volume based revenue than maximization based revenue. 

12 minutes ago, berderder said:

Maybe a Asus, MSI PC? like directly from them (they usually use parts that are only from them) possibly corsair and EK but they are boutique stores that focus on Custom water loops

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xwcMwc

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M AORUS Pro AX DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card  ($497.99 @ EVGA) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 205 Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($98.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.11 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1445.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-28 08:05 EDT-0400

much better build also cheaper look at the parts and you judge!

you edit anything you want like add more storage or chose the case its all up to you 

tell me if there's anything you see wrong ,always happy to help!

9 minutes ago, Omar.B said:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xwcMwc

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M AORUS Pro AX DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card  ($497.99 @ EVGA) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 205 Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($98.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.11 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1445.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-28 08:05 EDT-0400

much better build also cheaper look at the parts and you judge!

you edit anything you want like add more storage or chose the case its all up to you 

tell me if there's anything you see wrong ,always happy to help!

Thanks! No you're totally right, also I guess GPU prices really have been coming down..

I'd prefer Herpes or Syphilis over a pre built.  Who knows if they haven't had a piss and not washed their hands.

37 minutes ago, berderder said:

I dont I'll happily recommend a prebuilt but unless you go to actual boutique builders getting a mass produced oem machine that doesnt have something blaringly wrong with it is rare.

With dell its them basically cutting every corner 5 times and ending up with some abomination of a system that is a wonder it works at all and even then they arent good.

Hp usually has pretty darn bad cooling and a underequipped board

Lenovo often skimps on cooling and their psu's aint the greatest.

Ibuypower is a luck of the draw if your pc even works. Their parts may be standard stuff you can buy but man do they go with the lowest end stuff available to br cheap

and the list continues. Sure these system integrators sometimes have a great system but its rare. Hence why I often advice people to find a shop willing to build their pc with the parts that YOU supply. Not them or anyone else. This way you get what you want 100% of the time. Or if they are comfortable building it themselves do so. Its a fun project.

7 hours ago, jaslion said:

I dont I'll happily recommend a prebuilt but unless you go to actual boutique builders getting a mass produced oem machine that doesnt have something blaringly wrong with it is rare.

With dell its them basically cutting every corner 5 times and ending up with some abomination of a system that is a wonder it works at all and even then they arent good.

Hp usually has pretty darn bad cooling and a underequipped board

Lenovo often skimps on cooling and their psu's aint the greatest.

Ibuypower is a luck of the draw if your pc even works. Their parts may be standard stuff you can buy but man do they go with the lowest end stuff available to br cheap

and the list continues. Sure these system integrators sometimes have a great system but its rare. Hence why I often advice people to find a shop willing to build their pc with the parts that YOU supply. Not them or anyone else. This way you get what you want 100% of the time. Or if they are comfortable building it themselves do so. Its a fun project.

I definitely enjoy doing it. I do also like the idea of giving someone my own parts list. If I feel pinched for time or over my head on a particular detail 

21 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

The thing about Dell desktops is that they cut every corner imaginable. You'll get a shoddy motherboard, crap air cooler, really basic memory, and the only thing that's actually of decent quality is typically the power supply in a Dell prebuilt.

If you want the full performance of the parts you actually paid for, avoiding a prebuilt from the likes of Dell and HP is recommended.

I think their computers look old but the only Dell desktop I've ever had fail was one from 2006 when lots of systems were dying from bad capacitors.  But then again I only use their business machines because they are fun to use as servers. My current Dell precision 3420 project is great and the machine is extremely well built.

Also to the OP there's a reason prebuilts are even a market. If you feel the value of not having to do it yourself is worth a premium then go for it. I however believe that putting together modern computers has been made very easy over the years with very little in the way of being able to screw up. It can also be pretty fun, just make sure you buy components that won't give you a headache in the future (easy to work in case, easy to install cpu cooler, etc...).

2 hours ago, Brian McKee said:

I think their computers look old but the only Dell desktop I've ever had fail was one from 2006 when lots of systems were dying from bad capacitors.  But then again I only use their business machines because they are fun to use as servers. My current Dell precision 3420 project is great and the machine is extremely well built.

The problem with Dell's gaming lineup isn't their reliability necessarily, it's the lack of performance. They put powerful CPUs on boards with crap VRMs, get the crappiest ram possible, and often will straight up not even give you what you pay for. Gamers Nexus and LTT have both bought multiple Dell desktops and there was a major failure in Dell's service each time, either upcharging for something they didn't receive or shipping with single channel ram when dual was ordered.

Strangely I don't think I've seen this behavior nearly as often with their non-gaming business products.

Primary PC: