How this very old Asus ROG laptop perform?

Hello there. I'm looking for a cheap laptop for university just to play GTA V at 720p, Terraria and some daily tasks. I found an old Asus ROG laptop for pretty cheap and in good condition, also looks sick. Way cheaper than 940MX laptops.

The specs are:

Asus ROG G53JW

CPU: Intel Core i7-740QM 4C/8T 1.73 GHz Turbo Clock: 2.93 GHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5

RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 

120 GB SATA SSD

Is it enough for daily use and some light games?

Thanks.

Do you need to use this as a portable device? If you'll be carrying it around and using it on battery power at all then I'd stay away from it. A quick glance at a review of that laptop from when it was new (2010) shows that the battery life was awful when new, and it won't be any better today. The review I saw from NotebookCheck reported only 2 hours of operation on battery power, and that was a best case scenario (no Wi-Fi, screen brightness all the way down, etc.). 

I enjoy using old hardware as much as the next guy, but old gaming laptops just don't tend to work well for modern tasks if portability is needed. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 minute ago, BondiBlue said:

Do you need to use this as a portable device? If you'll be carrying it around and using it on battery power at all then I'd stay away from it. A quick glance at a review of that laptop from when it was new (2010) shows that the battery life was awful when new, and it won't be any better today. The review I saw from NotebookCheck reported only 2 hours of operation on battery power, and that was a best case scenario (no Wi-Fi, screen brightness all the way down, etc.). 

I enjoy using old hardware as much as the next guy, but old gaming laptops just don't tend to work well for modern tasks if portability is needed. 

I was expecting the battery life would be awful. I'm planning to use it plugged in. I also love older hardware, i'm still using my 16 years old Xeon on desktop.

Just now, Curesto said:

I was expecting the battery life would be awful. I'm planning to use it plugged in. I also love older hardware, i'm still using my 16 years old Xeon on desktop.

Older high-end desktops are quite a bit different than older high-end laptops. If you think it's powerful enough to do what you want to do and you're aware of the drawbacks of it then go for it. Just be prepared for how massive it is compared to something newer. The weight alone is enough for me to not want to carry it around anywhere, let alone university. 

It wasn't really designed to be used as a laptop very much. It fits squarely in the desktop replacement category IMHO, and it's just not practical as a portable machine in my eyes. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

24 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Hello there. I'm looking for a cheap laptop for university just to play GTA V at 720p, Terraria and some daily tasks. I found an old Asus ROG laptop for pretty cheap and in good condition, also looks sick. Way cheaper than 940MX laptops.

The specs are:

Asus ROG G53JW

CPU: Intel Core i7-740QM 4C/8T 1.73 GHz Turbo Clock: 2.93 GHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5

RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 

120 GB SATA SSD

Is it enough for daily use and some light games?

Thanks.

Whats the price for this? Because current day 500$ laptops wipe the floor with this thing. This is NOT going to do gta V at 720p 30 fps stable. It's ancient. Also keep in mind that this thing will have even with a new battery an hour of battery life tops.

Don't get it. It's way too old, has no drivers and is just really really low performance. It's bad don't get it. It's gonna SUCK for university and just browsing the internet on these old devices is really meh.

Also why are you looking at 940mx laptops? Those haven't been relevant in 6 years.

I don't recommend this laptop but it WIPES the floor with this rog

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Pavilion-GeForce-Windows-retroiluminado-15-ec1010nr/dp/B0897B9J48/ref=sr_1_14?__mk_es_US=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1PIN8GCOTE7SU&keywords=1650+laptop&qid=1656366078&sprefix=1650+laptop%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-14

It's over 10 times stronger and is a usable laptop

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Lenovo-IdeaPad-procesador-almacenamiento-82KT00GVUS/dp/B09BG841VC/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_es_US=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1S096FL7E5V9K&keywords=5500+u&qid=1656366139&sprefix=5500u%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-3

This already wipes the floor with the rog in every way possible, is way lighter and is cheap.

2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Older high-end desktops are quite a bit different than older high-end laptops. If you think it's powerful enough to do what you want to do and you're aware of the drawbacks of it then go for it. Just be prepared for how massive it is compared to something newer. The weight alone is enough for me to not want to carry it around anywhere, let alone university. 

It wasn't really designed to be used as a laptop very much. It fits squarely in the desktop replacement category IMHO, and it's just not practical as a portable machine in my eyes. 

yeah this laptop doesn't even fit in a normal backpack. You need the biggest backpack available to even have it fit. Hence why this one usually came with a Asus backpack that was made for it.

Newer version of this tier of hardware weren't uncommon in my game design school but usually by end of year 2 or year 3 these were all gone for much lighter devices as these things were just not portable in any way shape or form. Hell they often didn't even fit on smaller aula desks 😛

3 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Yes it is bit chunky for a laptop but i really liked it and i think i'm getting it. It is sure more powerful than my i3-5005U laptop.

11 minutes ago, Curesto said:

Yeah but that xeon is very much so at it's limits of what it can do. It won't do any modern gaming well at all. Even if you just use it for webbrowsing getting a cheap new device like that lenovo ideapad I linked would be mind blowingly faster for literally everything. I'm not joking even office would run noticeably faster

1 minute ago, Curesto said:

Yes it is bit chunky for a laptop but i really liked it and i think i'm getting it. It is sure more powerful than my i3-5005U laptop.

No, no it isn't. The only advantage the older laptop has is the fact that it has dedicated graphics, but it's an extremely weak graphics card that eats up even more battery life. It's not a more powerful system than a laptop with a Core i3-5005U. 

Just now, Curesto said:

No. Your i3 is more powerful. Like 20% more powerful AND has modern video decoding standards. So it can actually browse the internet well.

Don't get this rog. Maybe as a showpiece but not as a laptop to actually use. You'll regret it and ruin your back.

Take your backpack and put 7kg of weight in it. That is what you'll be pulling around with you every single day.

How much is it? It better not be more than 100$ because more would be a massive ripoff.

2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

No, no it isn't. The only advantage the older laptop has is the fact that it has dedicated graphics, but it's an extremely weak graphics card that eats up even more battery life. It's not a more powerful system than a laptop with a Core i3-5005U. 

Ok to be fair the 460m is about 60% faster than the hd 5500 graphcis of the i3. But like that is comparing a bad card vs a really bad card. So like pointless. The i3 is flat out 20% better if not more.

That and the hd 5500 can actually HARDWARE DECODE web content. The 460m CAN NOT DO THIS FOR MODERN CODECS AT ALL THE CPU HAS TO DO THIS THEN and guess what. That cpu is so weak. It's NOT going to handle it.

That and this is a OVER a decade old laptop. I'm genuinly surprised it's still going. It's gonna need SO MUCH maintenance to get it into a not overheating killing itself state + a new battery, possibly new fans (like I doubt they all still work properly). It's so much work and a lot of extra money for a laptop that is no bettery than a 200$ random used dell ultrabook you can get on ebay. This rog isn't gonna last much longer I can give you that flat out.

This laptop was NOT made to be carried around a ton. It's a desktop replacement. So a device that sits around almost all the time in one place but can be brought with sometimes. Not a carry it with you every single day device.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

No. Your i3 is more powerful. Like 20% more powerful AND has modern video decoding standards. So it can actually browse the internet well.

Don't get this rog. Maybe as a showpiece but not as a laptop to actually use. You'll regret it and ruin your back.

Take your backpack and put 7kg of weight in it. That is what you'll be pulling around with you every single day.

How much is it? It better not be more than 100$ because more would be a massive ripoff.

Thanks. I think i better look for something newer.

Just now, Curesto said:

Thanks. I think i better look for something newer.

What is your budget and where are you located? I might be able to find something good. Quite easy really.

On 6/28/2022 at 12:56 AM, jaslion said:

What is your budget and where are you located? I might be able to find something good. Quite easy really.

I found an HP laptop at similar prices specs are:

i5-7200U

16GB DDR4 RAM

Nvidia GeForce 940MX 2GB DDR3

1TB HDD + 240 GB SSD

1920x1080 15.6"

I also found little bit cheaper Asus laptop:

i7-4700HQ

12GB DDR3 RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 850M 4GB DDR3

1.5 TB HDD No SSD.

1920x1080 15.6"

I want to play Grand Theft Auto V, Terraria and World Of Warships. Some video editing, rendering and JavaScript programming. I live in Turkey.

8 hours ago, Curesto said:

i5-7200U

16GB DDR4 RAM

1TB HDD + 240 GB SSD

1920x1080 15.6"

i7-4700HQ

12GB DDR3 RAM

1.5 TB HDD No SSD.

1920x1080 15.6"

I want to play Grand Theft Auto V, Terraria and World Of Warships. Some video editing, rendering and JavaScript programming. I live in Turkey.

How much are these?

Neither of these laptops will do a good job but are already FAR better than the rog.

And again what is your budget?

9 hours ago, Curesto said:

i5-7200U

16GB DDR4 RAM

1TB HDD + 240 GB SSD

1920x1080 15.6"

i7-4700HQ

12GB DDR3 RAM

1.5 TB HDD No SSD.

1920x1080 15.6"

Second one is good. GPU is an absolute dog and I'd disable it in the bios to save battery (if you care, test it in the games you want to play though). The CPU however is a beast, I have a similar spec one in my old Lenovo laptop that I use for my daily walkaround stuff. Slap an ssd in that bad boy and it'll be great.

I'd highly recommend opening and repasting though, otherwise you'll cripple your performance. Gaming will suck on all the options you listed unless you want to play older titles. For light video editing and code compiling it'll be awesome. Just avoid any laptop that only has a dual core, they are basically dead in modern computing unless you want a power sipping word processor.