Why is full input range preferred over 230v only?

Hikari014
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
6 minutes ago, Hikari014 said:

Aside from that are there any technical differences between them? 

it can be presumed that 230v only models may be more suceptible to spikes or dips in mains voltage, if they do not have a mechanism in place to cope with differing input voltages (which is basicly what full range is)

perhaps the question here is, why not buy a full range? unless you're in a very 'locally optimized' market like india, or looking at a >1600w power supply, you wont find a 230v only model much cheaper than a full range.

I've been poking around at the PSU tier list and noticed that the B tier requirement is that the PSU must have full VAC input range. Why is it? Is it so that it could work in any country without using an adapter or anything like that? I live in 230V only country, so I should be okay to use 230V only PSU, right, or is it?

Thanks.

i guess it's a "have they bothered?" thing. it's not that full range suddenly means it's better quality, it's that any design that has quality in mind should be capable of implementing full range either way.

19 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i guess it's a "have they bothered?" thing. it's not that full range suddenly means it's better quality, it's that any design that has quality in mind should be capable of implementing full range either way.

6 minutes ago, Hikari014 said:

it can be presumed that 230v only models may be more suceptible to spikes or dips in mains voltage, if they do not have a mechanism in place to cope with differing input voltages (which is basicly what full range is)

perhaps the question here is, why not buy a full range? unless you're in a very 'locally optimized' market like india, or looking at a >1600w power supply, you wont find a 230v only model much cheaper than a full range.

18 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Got it, thanks!

18 minutes ago, manikyath said:

I'm on my way to build a 'budget' PC but I don't want to cheap on PSU or buying expensive PSU either. And I looked at MWE bronze V2 full range is in the B tier (which is unavailable in my country) but the 230V one is in the C tier, so I'm here.

Perhaps I should just buy the Asus TUF bronze with similar price range but still in the B tier, can you recommend it? I don't see any review about this PSU.

40 minutes ago, Hikari014 said:

Got it, thanks!

I'm on my way to build a 'budget' PC but I don't want to cheap on PSU or buying expensive PSU either. And I looked at MWE bronze V2 full range is in the B tier (which is unavailable in my country) but the 230V one is in the C tier, so I'm here.

Perhaps I should just buy the Asus TUF bronze with similar price range but still in the B tier, can you recommend it? I don't see any review about this PSU.

go to whichever retailer's website you use for the rest of the parts, go to the power supply section, sort by price, and select the first power supply that's at least 80+ bronze, and of acceptable quality. as long as you dont have a high power GPU in the mix, anything that's not a fire hazard is fine.

one of my computers actually ended up with some corsair rainbowpuke power supply that way, because it was on sale, and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than more basic models because of that.

1 hour ago, Hikari014 said:

I thought it has "0db technology" and the so called "Axial-tech fan design" 😏

Why in the world would you trust marketing blurb over actual test results by third parties?

:)