Basement watercooling, putting rad in another room.

33 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Damn, how cold is your basement???

Haha yeah, between 62-65, so like 17-19c lol.  I like it frosty baby 

Edit: which is great because due to low temp/40% humidity, if I ever want to add a chiller to my loop the dew point will be about 40° F.  So I can go pretty low without too much worry of condensation.  

Edited by Turgis

On 7/3/2022 at 4:40 PM, Turgis said:

OH, and I totally forgot to buy a 24v power supply for the 600... it's just plugged into my psu which I'm assuming would mean it's running at 12v? Is that a problem if it's already giving me the flow I need? 

It works at 12V similar to a D5 pump.  At 24V the PMP-600 is the same as 2.5 D5 pumps in series or 2 D5-strong pumps.  It's a gorilla of a pump for its size:

image.png.cccbd7dace23fccddd4347f0f4335a66.png

Crash course: if you combine two pumps in series the curves add to each other.  

To figure out the expected  flow rate you'd have to profile your loop.  Roughly looks something like the red line I drew there.  Where the line intersects the pump curve becomes the flow rate and ultimately means that high flow rate requires exponential pressure.  How exponential depends on how much shit is resisting it.

Also don't bother with a chiller.  Won't lower temperatures far enough to really matter unless you're chasing the last 100mhz on something and need 25mV more without running into thermal ceiling.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

It works at 12V similar to a D5 pump.  At 24V the PMP-600 is the same as 2.5 D5 pumps in series or 2 D5-strong pumps.  It's a gorilla of a pump for its size:

To figure out the expected  flow rate you'd have to profile your loop.  Roughly looks something like the red line I drew there.  Where the line intersects the pump curve becomes the flow rate and ultimately means that high flow rate requires exponential pressure.  How exponential depends on how much shit is resisting it.

Also don't bother with a chiller.  Won't lower temperatures far enough to really matter unless you're chasing the last 100mhz on something and need 25mV more without running into thermal ceiling.

Thanks for the breakdown, looking at that graph earlier and was wondering if I understood that right.  

Haha yeah, a chiller would be pretty novelty for my setup lol 

Hopefully this weekend I can get this build finished up. 

On 7/8/2022 at 2:31 AM, AnonymousGuy said:

Yea but with intel you chill to get it stable - with ryzen the more you chill the more it boosts, just like a gpu 🙂

49 minutes ago, Luggage said:

Yea but with intel you chill to get it stable - with ryzen the more you chill the more it boosts, just like a gpu 🙂

Intel runs into silicon ceiling before it runs into needing more thermal ceiling.  You set the voltage to 1.35 and that's as far as it's ever going to clock.  It's just not worth bothering crazy shit to enable 1.45V for an extra 50mhz.  It's similar to Nvidia now where the overclocking is pretty boring because you get it set in 10 minutes and the only thing that matters after that is whether you can hold that temperature (less relevant though when you have massive radiator capacity)

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

18 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Intel runs into silicon ceiling before it runs into needing more thermal ceiling.  You set the voltage to 1.35 and that's as far as it's ever going to clock.  It's just not worth bothering crazy shit to enable 1.45V for an extra 50mhz.  It's similar to Nvidia now where the overclocking is pretty boring because you get it set in 10 minutes and the only thing that matters after that is whether you can hold that temperature (less relevant though when you have massive radiator capacity)

Yea - my point was that with ryzen you see mc clocks increasing automatically the more you cool it until you hit max multiplier*

*some caveats with power and current limits but most can be overcome with more cooling 😉 oh and multiplier limits are too low 😞 

I think my water was 5-7C for this winter stock run and the 3Dmark cpu graph is pegged at max boost. (The heavier avx loads needs raised power limits…)

mmdm5f6.png