Basement watercooling, putting rad in another room.

I'll put photos at the end of post but basically, here's the deal.  I've got a waterblocked 5800x and ftw3 3080ti, you'll see in the pic that there are zero rads in the case. I've got an inlet and outlet going out the back of case to a diy waterbox. Currently the box is under my desk but I intend to run pex lines through my ceiling from my office to my workroom, that way I can dump all the pc heat elsewhere and in a room with better circulation.  My office is pretty stable at 68° but when the pc is on, it shoots up quick. There are no windows or other ways to add circulation to my room so this is my best option. I think... plus it's cool lol

The waterbox has 2x 560mm rads (a third will be added when my fittings arrive) and 16x 140mm noctua 1500rpm fans. The box has its own 450w power supply and fan controllers. A corsair d5 pump is what I've got circulating the system now but with the rads, blocks, fittings and 10' of line each way from box to pc the d5 is pretty much at its limit. 

SO my question is what the heck should I use to pump the water.   We're looking at a total of 10' elevation change each way and about 25' of horizontal travel each way.  Plus several 90° turns. Like I said, I'll be using 1/2 pex line and a reducer to 1/4 at each end when connecting to the pc and box.  Could something like this be a decent bet, or is pressure gonna be too high for the pc components:

MEDAS 330 GPH 115V 1/10HP Auto Portable Water Transfer Pump Utility Pumps with Suction Hose Kit https://a.co/d/aEv1vn1

At some point down the road I might add the wife's pc to this loop... so headroom for another 5800x and a 3080 might be a good idea.  Any advice on this is much appreciated, I've built custom loops before  but nothing like this.  

16562931253297608681078668655114.jpg

1656293152266360761877594210943.jpg

8 hours ago, LWM723 said:

These are not intended for continuous use. It won't last.

That's what worries me, anybody know a good alternative?

Maybe some type of aquarium/ pool pump? Hot tubs use small pumps just for 24hr circulation. That would work, check with a hot tub store or maybe a plumber.

8 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Maybe some type of aquarium/ pool pump? Hot tubs use small pumps just for 24hr circulation. That would work, check with a hot tub store or maybe a plumber.

Solid idea.  Should I be worried about psi being too high for the waterblocks?   Assuming that I don't go crazy big with the pump size.   

I use a PMP-600 @ 24V to drive 100 feet of hose.  I use a second one to drive 4 PC's worth of waterblocks and it still hits 200l/h.  Inventory: 4 CPU waterblocks, 2 GPU waterblocks, 5 quick disconnects, 1 radiator, probably 10 90s, 25ft of 3/8 tubing.  Tubing by itself and radiators don't really count towards restriction.

Elevation changes don't matter with a loop, because for every "uphill" there's also a "downhill" to cancel it out.  It only matters if they pump can't complete the elevation on initial fill.

You could also drive your loop with a second D5 pump in series or a PMP-450S @24V.  Much like how everyone goes big-overkill on their power supplies, people also go way overkill on how much flow they really need.  It's also an exponential curve where you need exponentially more pressure to generate marginally more flow, and when you add a third D5 pump it becomes real easy to start blowing tube off fittings and push past o-rings and shit.  That's the point where you need to start running stuff in parallel.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

53 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I use a PMP-600 @ 24V to drive 100 feet of hose.  I use a second one to drive 4 PC's worth of waterblocks and it still hits 200l/h.  Inventory: 4 CPU waterblocks, 2 GPU waterblocks, 5 quick disconnects, 1 radiator, probably 10 90s, 25ft of 3/8 tubing.  Tubing by itself and radiators don't really count towards restriction.

Elevation changes don't matter with a loop, because for every "uphill" there's also a "downhill" to cancel it out.  It only matters if they pump can't complete the elevation on initial fill.

You could also drive your loop with a second D5 pump in series or a PMP-450S @24V.  Much like how everyone goes big-overkill on their power supplies, people also go way overkill on how much flow they really need.  It's also an exponential curve where you need exponentially more pressure to generate marginally more flow, and when you add a third D5 pump it becomes real easy to start blowing tube off fittings and push past o-rings and shit.  That's the point where you need to start running stuff in parallel.

Good suggestions, never seen that pump lineup from koolance before...probably cuz most people don't need it lol

Looks like all it takes for power is a standard molex, is that right? never seen a 24v before 

20 minutes ago, Squibward said:

Good suggestions, never seen that pump lineup from koolance before...probably cuz most people don't need it lol

Looks like all it takes for power is a standard molex, is that right? never seen a 24v before 

I assume I can just power it with my psu then right? I've never seen 24v 

8 minutes ago, Turgis said:

I assume I can just power it with my psu then right? I've never seen 24v 

No, you need a separate power supply but DC 24V isn't really a problem to find a supply.  I've used this brand at 12V and 24V: https://www.amazon.com/SHNITPWR-100V-240V-Converter-Transformer-5-5x2-5mm/dp/B07PWZQ4MB/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=24v+power+supply&qid=1656359691&sr=8-6

Meanwell has a bunch of used ones on ebay that are good.   Or you can take a lot of laptop power supplies than at 19.somethingV and solder on a molex connector.

29 minutes ago, Squibward said:

Yup, very few people ever need their "industrial" set of pumps like the -500 and -600.  And TBH you don't even want to install them in a normal PC because of how much louder they are than the D5 platform.  The 450S though is really sweet...I'm surprised other brands haven't rebadged it.  Far as I'm aware it's just a different set of electronics spinning the impeller faster and everything else about it is identical to a regular D5.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

11 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

No, you need a separate power supply but DC 24V isn't really a problem to find a supply.  I've used this brand at 12V and 24V: https://www.amazon.com/SHNITPWR-100V-240V-Converter-Transformer-5-5x2-5mm/dp/B07PWZQ4MB/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=24v+power+supply&qid=1656359691&sr=8-6

Meanwell has a bunch of used ones on ebay that are good.   Or you can take a lot of laptop power supplies than at 19.somethingV and solder on a molex connector.

Yup, very few people ever need their "industrial" set of pumps like the -500 and -600.  And TBH you don't even want to install them in a normal PC because of how much louder they are than the D5 platform.  The 450S though is really sweet...I'm surprised other brands haven't rebadged it.  Far as I'm aware it's just a different set of electronics spinning the impeller faster and everything else about it is identical to a regular 

Cool beans.  Fortunately, the pump will be on the other side of the basement so noise isn't an issue haha 

Do you use a speed controller for the pump? I have one of these laying around that I could use... if this would work

Noctua NA-FC1, 4-Pin PWM Fan Controller (Black) https://a.co/d/e9bffJR

12 minutes ago, Turgis said:

Cool beans.  Fortunately, the pump will be on the other side of the basement so noise isn't an issue haha 

Do you use a speed controller for the pump? I have one of these laying around that I could use... if this would work

Noctua NA-FC1, 4-Pin PWM Fan Controller (Black) https://a.co/d/e9bffJR

I don't believe any of them are PWM controlled, the third wire is just for speed monitoring (and TBH I've never used it anywhere).  If you want 24V control: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N4R48LJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The easiest way to get a molex connector is to buy an extension and cut it in half.

9 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I don't believe any of them are PWM controlled, the third wire is just for speed monitoring (and TBH I've never used it anywhere).  If you want 24V control: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N4R48LJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The easiest way to get a molex connector is to buy an extension and cut it in half.

Ah I see, ok.  I have tons of extra psu cables laying around so that'll be fine.  Thanks for the advice! Will probably take a while to source everything and get it shipped but I've got a pretty good idea of what to do. I'm sure I'll be back with updates... or questions lol

is koolance still around? i thought they stopped selling the pump years ago. they defiantly dont do any marketing... 🤔

the PMP-600 was the best pump that used g1/4 fittings but alos was loud af...

aquacomputer had a beefy pump too but i think they stopped making it i do be leave but you need a pump that can do a fare amount of height.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

is koolance still around? i thought they stopped selling the pump years ago. they defiantly dont do any marketing... 🤔

aquacomputer had a beefy pump too but i think they stopped making it i do be leave but you need a pump that can do a fare amount of height.

Yeah definitely not much marketing.  I found a 450s on ebay and there's some stuff on amazon... searching for their stuff is a bit difficult and almost few things have reviews but I did find a 600 on there. 

4 minutes ago, Turgis said:

Yeah definitely not much marketing.  I found a 450s on ebay and there's some stuff on amazon... searching for their stuff is a bit difficult and almost few things have reviews but I did find a 600 on there. 

heres a really old review of the 500

https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/koolance-pmp-500-pump/

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

What about using a central heating circulation pump? They come at cheap, are reliable af and have massive head pressure. 

I use one in my loop for over a year. It consumes 22W and run on regular (for me) 230V. And my loop consists of 35m of 16mm floor heating tubing (so 12mm ID), a reservoir (10L plastic water drum), a household string filter (like for household use) and obviously waterblocks (Alphacools for CPU and GPU).

Go see my thread about floor cooling for more details (thread needs an update).

22 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

They sorta abandoned the consumer market and switched to business-facing.  They don't make any CPU blocks for example...which is kinda sad because the 390Ci was an absolute *banger* of a design with really great fin structure, thick nickel plating, strong mounting brackets, etc.  I was using the previous gen 380 for ages (It's just out of rotation right now because of how I build / upgrade systems but it's still on my shelf for use in the future)

I like Koolance for fittings like rotary, 45 degree swivel, etc and impossible-to-find stuff like G1/4 to NPT adapters.  I really like that those fittings can have a 17mm wrench put on them for tightening so I know I'm getting the tension correct (I know the advice we give noobs is "never use a wrench" but I've got the touch for how tight to make stuff).  They used to sell D5 impellers until 2018 for $5 which was great because I killed a lot of them accidentally running pumps dry.  I should have bought 100 of them if I knew they were going to become unobtanium nowadays (modmymods is supposedly trying to find a supplier to make them but didn't like the first one they worked with)

(their quick disconnects suck though.  I think the nickel plate they use galls with the quick disconnect sliding action)

They don't seem to use any distributors anymore.  You order directly from their website.  They ship out of Seattle area (their stuff is made in Korea).

9 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

They sorta abandoned the consumer market and switched to business-facing.  They don't make any CPU blocks for example...which is kinda sad because the 390Ci was an absolute *banger* of a design with really great fin structure, thick nickel plating, strong mounting brackets, etc.

I like Koolance for fittings like rotary, 45 degree swivel, etc and impossible-to-find stuff like G1/4 to NPT adapters.  I really like that those fittings can have a 17mm wrench put on them for tightening so I know I'm getting the tension correct.  They used to sell D5 impellers until 2018 which was great because I killed a lot of them accidentally running pumps dry.

(their quick disconnects suck though.  I think the nickel plate they use galls with the quick disconnect sliding action)

ya my self had there qdc and there a history of them being bad. works at first but over time the valve sticks open. problem is ek bought a patent to a good qdc and held it ransom at one point being $120 usd a set + tax + shipping.... bs

well they were in refrigeration before getting in to pc stuff and i guess went back to that?  but lets face it people are not pushing proforamce of wbs this more looks...then anything.

not only that the rise of the aio killed wc so i guess there like w/e go back to refrigeration

DSCF1263.JPG

Edited by thrasher_565

8 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya my self had there qdc and there a history of them being bad. works at first but over time the valve sticks open. problem is ek bought a patent to a good qdc and held it ransom at one point being $120 usd a set + tax + shipping.... bs

well they were in refrigeration before getting in to pc stuff and i guess went back to that?  but lets face it people are not pushing proforamce of wbs this more looks...then anything.

I had good success with Alphacool Eis...something... QDC's.   They seemed to use a chrome plate instead of nickel which at least shut off flow reliably but they were bulky and heavy as hell.  I still had issues with (I think) the o-ring that the female bit has on its stem swelling? where it wouldn't allow the sleeve thing to slide all the way over it to close.  It stopped fluid from coming out but made it so I had to pull the ring back while inserting it or else it wouldn't go in.

(I had Koolance ones fuck me many times over where they stayed open after disconnecting...even with Mayhem X1 fluid which is more lubricating than plain water)

So I've taken all but one set of those out of service and got 5 of their plastic "industrial" versions instead: https://modmymods.com/alphacool-es-quick-release-connector-kit-g1-4-ig-ig-pushin-industry-version-17569.html 

For the most part if I need to disassemble something I just pinch the tubing off with vise grips.  Quick disconnects are now more "do I need to take this entire system out of the larger loop".

5 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I had good success with Alphacool Eis...something... QDC's.   They seemed to use a chrome plate instead of nickel which at least shut off flow reliably but they were bulky and heavy as hell.  I still had issues with (I think) the o-ring that the female bit has on its stem swelling? where it wouldn't allow the sleeve thing to slide all the way over it to close.  It stopped fluid from coming out but made it so I had to pull the ring back while inserting it or else it wouldn't go in.

(I had Koolance ones fuck me many times over where they stayed open after disconnecting...even with Mayhem X1 fluid which is more lubricating than plain water)

So I've taken all but one set of those out of service and got 5 of their plastic "industrial" versions instead: https://modmymods.com/alphacool-es-quick-release-connector-kit-g1-4-ig-ig-pushin-industry-version-17569.html 

ya i picked up 2 of thows Alphacool ES qdc too as they seem cheap ish for get what i was going to use em for or just nice to have. probably was for my test bench  rad external setup that i wanted... decided i spend alot on parts form aquacomputer and didn't pic up the rad i wanted the super nova...

i also had there Koolance TMS-205 5.25 bay pump and pwm controller for a vary short time until i got the expatiation bored and well there a gen one and a gen 2 and well i put the wrong one on an puff the magic smoke... at the time it was cheaper then the aqua computer controller. i think the TMS flow sensors wernt all that good too and koolance got flak for that as well...

Here's an update of my project.  None of the hardware shops near me had the right size hose clamps, couldn't believe it. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised but the d5 can circulate the water through the loop... but just barely, flow isn't where it needs to be. I managed to find an PMP-600 and with both pumps running there's great circulation, havnt measured it with my meter yet but my glass spinner flow indicator tells me it's plenty fast enough. The pressure is high enough that the barb fittings drip a little bit... (partially because the clamps are a bit too big to really grip down hard.)

Here is my VERY janky looking setup for now lol... in the coming week or two the rest of the fittings I need should arrive and I can start to button everything up nice and pretty. 

Pretty... no.  But very functional, Temps are sitting at 18.5 on gpu and 24 on cpu. Havnt had time to do full load benchmark tests but when everything is all said and done I'll probably make a new post to show off the finish product.   Thanks for all the help so far guys!      Any advice on getting the air out of 75' of pex line? lmao 🤣 

20220703_145815.jpg

OH, and I totally forgot to buy a 24v power supply for the 600... it's just plugged into my psu which I'm assuming would mean it's running at 12v? Is that a problem if it's already giving me the flow I need? 

23 hours ago, Turgis said:

Temps are sitting at 18.5 on gpu and 24 on cpu. Havnt had time to do full load benchmark tests but when everything is all said and done I'll probably make a new post to show off the finish product.   Thanks for all the help so far guys!      Any advice on getting the air out of 75' of pex line? lmao 🤣 

Damn, how cold is your basement???