Is it my cpu or do I need a new cooler?

I have a i7 12700F my cooler is the cooler that it came with. For some reason whenever I play any game it reaches to 70-80C. I lowered the load line calibration in my bios from level 3 to 2, put the game in low-mid graphic settings lastly I even have 4 fans. 

3 minutes ago, beastbo1 said:

my cooler is the cooler that it came with

3 minutes ago, beastbo1 said:

For some reason whenever I play any game it reaches to 70-80C

No sht sherlock

Stock coolers are designed to be just enough to keep your cpu cool and not much more, you can run upto 100c just fine actually cause thats tjmax

If youd like lower temps and/or quieter operation even a cheap 4 heatpipe tower like se 214/224xt should provide a noticable diff temps and sound wise

24 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

No sht sherlock

Stock coolers are designed to be just enough to keep your cpu cool and not much more, you can run upto 100c just fine actually cause thats tjmax

If youd like lower temps and/or quieter operation even a cheap 4 heatpipe tower like se 214/224xt should provide a noticable diff temps and sound wise

This is the fault of Intel, not the user, so I think maybe you're being a little too hard on him.

OP, follow this guy's advice but don't beat yourself up over it.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, Shimmy Gummi said:

This is the fault of Intel, not the user, so I think maybe you're being a little too hard on him.

OP, follow this guy's advice but don't beat yourself up over it.

literally nobody should expect the stock cooler to ever be good, the most recent actually good stock cooler was the wraith max/prism which was iirc for ryzen 3700x/3800x but good stock coolers (that pretty much dont warrant an aftermarket replacement) are mostly a thing of the past

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

literally nobody should expect the stock cooler to ever be good, the most recent actually good stock cooler was the wraith max/prism which was iirc for ryzen 3700x/3800x but good stock coolers (that pretty much dont warrant an aftermarket replacement) are mostly a thing of the past

That doesn't mean it's not Intel's fault for shipping their CPUs with e-waste.

Guy has one post. He's not the demographic who would know to use something different.

Hostility is kind of like gatekeeping the hardware world

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Shimmy Gummi said:

Guy has one post. He's not the demographic who would know to use something different.

Well if you are trying to get an introduction to pc hardware theres massive tech channels that review this kind of stuff so seems quite rare to not know that stock coolers are not good

8 minutes ago, Shimmy Gummi said:

thx for the chill and nice reply

Get a AK620 by deepcool.  Good cooler right there.  Check your case specifications for how big a cooler can fit in it and how much space your ram takes up too.  Better still, what case and ram do you have and I'll look it up for you bud.

2 hours ago, beastbo1 said:

whenever I play any game it reaches to 70-80C

What is wrong with that? The maximum safe temperature for your Intel CPU is 100°C. Your temperatures are completely normal and completely safe. 

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134592/intel-core-i712700f-processor-25m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

With temperatures like that, there is no point in spending money on a better cooler. An Intel CPU running at a cool 60°C is not going to perform any better than the same CPU running at 70°C or 80°C or even 90°C. It makes no difference.  

1 hour ago, beastbo1 said:

the cpu isn't gonna die unless it's 100C+, so it's up to you if/when you replace the cooler, consider it money saved.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

16 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

What is wrong with that? The maximum safe temperature for your Intel CPU is 100°C. Your temperatures are completely normal and completely safe. 

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134592/intel-core-i712700f-processor-25m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

With temperatures like that, there is no point in spending money on a better cooler. An Intel CPU running at a cool 60°C is not going to perform any better than the same CPU running at 70°C or 80°C or even 90°C. It makes no difference.  

one reason could be noise. I run the stock cooler and even on my i3-10105F it gets a bit annoying while gaming. Could also unlock power limit with a better cooler for some real gains too, if they care about that.

2 minutes ago, Shimmy Gummi said:

it gets a bit annoying while gaming

If my CPU was only running at 70°C to 80°C while gaming, I would go into the BIOS and I would slow the CPU fan down to reduce noise.

2 hours ago, beastbo1 said:

I even have 4 fans. 

I would also disable 3 or 4 of the case fans. 

23 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

If my CPU was only running at 70°C to 80°C while gaming, I would go into the BIOS and I would slow the CPU fan down to reduce noise.

I would also disable 3 or 4 of the case fans. 

Yeah you can do that of course, but then again there are still gains to be had with better cooling. There are options. I spend less time in the BIOS on that computer (and I ahven't upgraded the cooler either lol) because it's hooked up to this wireless keyboard/mouse combo thing and I hate using it.

It is for just steam games on my living room TV with a controller

1 hour ago, JKRsega said:

Get a AK620 by deepcool.  Good cooler right there.  Check your case specifications for how big a cooler can fit in it and how much space your ram takes up too.  Better still, what case and ram do you have and I'll look it up for you bud.

I have a viking dagger case and 16gb 3200mhz ram

18 minutes ago, Shimmy Gummi said:

there are still gains to be had with better cooling

That is true if you increase the turbo power limits. More power equals more heat so a better cooler might be required then. At default settings, the Intel OEM cooler is good enough.

Just now, beastbo1 said:

I have a viking dagger case and 16gb 3200mhz ram

Do you have the instructions that came with your case as I can't find any details about cooler clearance at all.  For the cooler I recommended you need 160mm of clearance from your CPU to the side of the case.

7 minutes ago, beastbo1 said:

I just want to know also what air cpu coolers are good for 12th gen intel cpu

Out of all, this is the best I've seen but it's also the most expensive: Noctua D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, x 2 PWM Fans - Newegg.com

For something with a lower cost but can still be expected to do a good job of cooling: Noctua NH-D9L, Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A9 92mm Fan (Brown) - Newegg.com

And if you are on a tight budget, of course you can't expect the same performance as the above two but should still be better than a stock cooler at least: Thermaltake TOUGHAIR 110 140W TDP Top Flow CPU Cooler, Intel/AMD Universal Socket (LGA 1700/1200), 120mm 2000RPM High Static Pressure PWM Fan with High Performance Copper Heat Pipes LGA 1700 Ready - Newegg.com

All three of these should let it run cooler than a stock cooler, question is how much cooling are you looking for and what is your budget - Plus bear in mind a smaller case may not tolerate a larger sized cooler so well.

Lots of variables in play and also make sure you have good airflow through your case. If the heat can't get out no cooler of any kind will work well so be sure you have plenty of cool air coming in and warm air going out in the first place. The number of case fans alone in the case do not determine how well it's working, it's the actual result of it that matters and will tell you if it is working well or not.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Everybody has their own opinions on cooling. I personally think water cooling AIO 240mm or 280mm is the way to go. If you want air cooling, start and stop with 120mm heatsinks. The 4 pipe coolers are the bottom and they go up to 6 pipe coolers and maybe beyond that. Usually they add a second 120mm fan. I would stick with a single fan setup. A 212+ variant. All are based on the original 120mm Thermalright 120mm cooler from more than 10 years ago. 

I have an intel build (Dell) that I put in a (Intel i5 10400) Ventroo V5 120mm with 5 heatpipes. I used it because it was a short 120mm and the only tower 120mm heatsink that would fit into the small case. Those have gone up in price but were $20-25 and now seem to be around $35. Deepcool as an ultra cheap gammaxx400 for $15 on Amazon. Usually I suggest the CoolerMaster 212+. The Noctua stuff is expensive and usually has the best cooling. 

1 hour ago, Columbo said:

Everybody has their own opinions on cooling. I personally think water cooling AIO 240mm or 280mm is the way to go. If you want air cooling, start and stop with 120mm heatsinks. The 4 pipe coolers are the bottom and they go up to 6 pipe coolers and maybe beyond that. Usually they add a second 120mm fan. I would stick with a single fan setup. A 212+ variant. All are based on the original 120mm Thermalright 120mm cooler from more than 10 years ago. 

I have an intel build (Dell) that I put in a (Intel i5 10400) Ventroo V5 120mm with 6 heatpipes. I used it because it was a short 120mm and the only tower 120mm heatsink that would fit into the small case. Those have gone up in price but were $20-25 and now seem to be around $35. Deepcool as an ultra cheap gammaxx400 for $15 on Amazon. Usually I suggest the CoolerMaster 212+. The Noctua stuff is expensive and usually has the best cooling. 

I also like the cheap 120mm coolers; the ones you mentioned like the Ventroo, among ID-Cooling and whatnot, are just flat better values than the Cooler Master Hyper 212. I think that it used to be a decent budget cooler but of late it's just riding off the popularity and doesn't really compare to the other two I mentioned in price/performance.

10 minutes ago, Shimmy Gummi said:

I also like the cheap 120mm coolers; the ones you mentioned like the Ventroo, among ID-Cooling and whatnot, are just flat better values than the Cooler Master Hyper 212. I think that it used to be a decent budget cooler but of late it's just riding off the popularity and doesn't really compare to the other two I mentioned in price/performance.

The younger kids here all know the 212+. That is why I listed it. I still have a computer using the Ultra 120 on a kaby lake build. I bought an adapter kit for it for around $8 for it years ago. The Ventroo is a great little cooler. The 10400 never throttle and always runs at max speed and temps are under 70C under full load. I think in Prime 95 I got 75-76C on a max core after 40 minutes of testing. 

Here is the original 120mm. They still make the thermalright 120mm. This one has 6 heatpipes. It's hard to find. I am linking it just so that people can see what the original of the 120mm tower coolers looks like. 

image_2022-06-27_115625621.png

16 minutes ago, Columbo said:

The younger kids here all know the 212+. That is why I listed it. I still have a computer using the Ultra 120 on a kaby lake build. I bought an adapter kit for it for around $8 for it years ago. The Ventroo is a great little cooler. The 10400 never throttle and always runs at max speed and temps are under 70C under full load. I think in Prime 95 I got 75-76C on a max core after 40 minutes of testing. 

Here is the original 120mm. They still make the thermalright 120mm. This one has 6 heatpipes. It's hard to find. I am linking it just so that people can see what the original of the 120mm tower coolers looks like. 

image_2022-06-27_115625621.png

Up until the last 10 years or so, I never bothered with aftermarket coolers. Used whatever came with my CPUs like the guy in this thread. Worked perfectly fine for my uses back then.

I still have a Tt OCK Frio I won in a comp back in the day - Still works fine to this day.

There are cheaper coolers than Noctua out there but will still perform acceptably, you simply have to be picky about what you get.

Scythe makes good coolers for a fair price, considering what you get. I've got a couple of those and both work well and I didn't have to break the bank getting them.
If this would fit your board it's beefy enough to work and it's not as expensive as Noctua: https://www.newegg.com/p/13C-0004-00093

Plenty of pipes for cooling and this one is even better, priced in a similar price range: https://www.newegg.com/p/13C-0004-00092

All you'd need to do with one of these is be sure it fits the board/socket you have.

Zalman is another brand I have but these days they just aren't what they used to be, they made at one time a nice line of all copper coolers that worked great but since they've cheaped out and largely (If not completely) stopped making all copper coolers. I will say this cooler performs well and it's quiet, not very noticeable at all.

I did find one of these a few years ago for under $25 US and bought it directly from them through Newegg, this is the exact cooler I got: https://www.newegg.com/zalman-cnps9900aled/p/N82E16835118046R

Do know this cooler if you get one probrably won't work with your setup, these are for older sockets like my 1151/1155 setups and unless the holes are spaced the same as a 1151/1155 it won't work because you can't mount it.

There are a few that's VERY similar but have the same mounting system so unless you know it's gonna fit before you order, just don't and that really applies for any cooler - Always check to see if it's for the socket/board you have before ordering.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.