Can I plugged my Chromecast directly to the GPU HDMI

e22big

Just kind of curious - what would be happening if instead of plugging the Chromecast to the TV or monitor HDMI, I am plugging the device directly to my GPU instead? 

I am annoyed by the fact that when plugging into a monitor or TV, my Chromecast can't take advantage of my PC hardwares that are directly connect to the same monitor. I am wondering if I am plugging it to my GPU which is connected to my PC instead, will I be able to access my PC hardware like Ethernet or speakers?

What?

The HDMI ports on your GPU are outputs, not inputs. No, you can't do that. 

I'm a big Chromecast user but why would you connect both a PC and a Chromcast to the same monitor? What is the purpose of the Chromecast at that point? 

5 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

What?

The HDMI ports on your GPU are outputs, not inputs. No, you can't do that. 

I'm a big Chromecast user but why would you connect both a PC and a Chromcast to the same monitor? What is the purpose of the Chromecast at that point? 

Yeah, tried that out just now and learnt it the hard way - lol

But to answer your question - to stream content of course. You can't get the vast majority of big streaming service to stream 4k HDR properly on Windows, that's the only reason I bought my Chromecat. I have HDR1000 monitor that double as a TV.

No, the Chromecast cannot use your PC's hardware even if you plug it into an HDMI input on your PC. For all it knows it's just plugged into a TV.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

No, the Chromecast cannot use your PC's hardware even if you plug it into an HDMI input on your PC. For all it knows it's just plugged into a TV.

But it can access TV speaker output isn't it? Not too sure about ethernet but I guess you are right. Unless the GPU can do data pass through

On 6/23/2022 at 11:27 AM, e22big said:

But it can access TV speaker output isn't it? Not too sure about ethernet but I guess you are right. Unless the GPU can do data pass through

No idea what you’re rambling about in this post.

The Chromecast doesn’t directly interact with audio. The input device (TV) receives audio from the Chromecast and then outputs the audio to whatever speakers like it normally would.

It seems like you’re not satisfied with Chromecasts and other cheap-ish stream box solutions. You should look into used Nvidia Shields or Apple TV 4K.  The first gen ATV 4K from like 2017 is still running very smoothly. You don’t need an Apple device to use it well- my Android friends all love theirs.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 6/24/2022 at 2:38 AM, e22big said:

Just kind of curious - what would be happening if instead of plugging the Chromecast to the TV or monitor HDMI, I am plugging the device directly to my GPU instead? 

Nothing will happen. 

On 6/24/2022 at 2:38 AM, e22big said:

I am annoyed by the fact that when plugging into a monitor or TV, my Chromecast can't take advantage of my PC hardwares that are directly connect to the same monitor. I am wondering if I am plugging it to my GPU which is connected to my PC instead, will I be able to access my PC hardware like Ethernet or speakers?

Also not possible either.

On 6/23/2022 at 4:38 PM, e22big said:

my Chromecast can't take advantage of my PC hardwares

Why would you even need to? Chromecast is able to stream content to your TV without it. If you got lag then you should either reset your Chromecast to factory and start over or figure out what's wrong with your Wifi or internet.

6 hours ago, hippocheese14 said:

No idea what you’re rambling about in this post.

The Chromecast doesn’t directly interact with audio. The input device (TV) receives audio from the Chromecast and then outputs the audio to whatever speakers like it normally would.

It seems like you’re not satisfied with Chromecasts and other cheap-ish stream box solutions. You should look into used Nvidia Shields or Apple TV 4K.  The first gen ATV 4K from like 2017 is still running very smoothly. You don’t need an Apple device to use it well- my Android friends all love theirs.

It's run fine I am more than ok with its performance I my speaker just have a single port so it can either connect with my Chromecast via monitor, or my PC which has DAC/Amp internal sound card. While I could still use my speakers while having it plug in to the monitor, it performas much better when plugging into my sound card with amp.

1 hour ago, e22big said:

It's run fine I am more than ok with its performance I my speaker just have a single port so it can either connect with my Chromecast via monitor, or my PC which has DAC/Amp internal sound card. While I could still use my speakers while having it plug in to the monitor, it performas much better when plugging into my sound card with amp.

Ohhhh. You should've mentioned all of this in your original post because you've been running everyone in circles.

You need to get an HDMI audio extractor. This way the video signals will still reach your monitor, but the audio is extracted in digital and/or analog. This way you can connect the Chromecast to an external sound system. I won't guarantee that this works, but from glancing at the descriptions and HDCP compatibility it looks like it should.

J-Tech Digital Premium Quality 1080P HDMI to HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter (JTDAT5CH)

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 1.14.03 PM.png

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |