ALIENWARE 34 CURVED QD-OLED GAMING MONITOR - AW3423DW Hype

BS_ArtStuff
46 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I won't keep silent if there is something i want to talk about. That's how free speech works. If i see problems big enough i will continue to bring them to light in the future, like i have been with the G7 and G9 for example. And if the problems are small enough than they can probably be ignored when speaking about general recommendations. If you believe everything that is posted on reddit, then you cannot buy anything anymore because everything has just too many major flaws people can't live with.

And again, my entire argument is based around my ownership of the PG35VQ and the C9. The AW3423DW is better than the C9 in pretty much every way as a PC monitor. I already think the C9 is way better than the PG35VQ. Then it makes sense that i'll come to the conclusion that the AW3423DW is a better option than the PG35VQ. It's really not that hard to follow...

Anyway i'm gonna end that discussion with you now because i don't want to take over yet another thread to be 2 pages just between you and me. That's what DMs are for.

To me, your feedback is misleading since you said cannot tell differences between 8-bit vs 10-bit.

Your opinion on Highest contrast means better HDR, HDR is not relied on contrast only.

Ignoring user feedback with proof but instead you can't proof anything beside keep using reviewer data not your own. 

Also your assumption on user is ok to this and that issue. You ok not means you can assume others people same as you. 

Did not own the device and can said obvious better than. Your comment became more and more no logic and not trusted.

Against turning back said how great that Alienware AW3423DW QD-OLED. 🤣

Yes I agreed shall end the discussion with you as no point.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

Most of the problems are specific to Dell's implementation.  AFAIK the only issue that can not be fixed universally is the lack of polarizing filter and not giving you complete black in a well lit room.

QD-OLED is amazing but this is immature and a first implementation.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

14 hours ago, MonitorFlicker said:

It's not a true HDR 1000 monitor that requires at least 850-1150nits in 50%-100% window. It's just a HDR 400 (even less due to ABL) OLED  with gimmick 1-2% window size that reaches 1000nits. You will have frequent ABL in HDR 1000 mode. 

Which standard is that from (just curious)? VESA's DisplayHDR 1000 certification only requires 1000 nits over a 10% window, not 50-100%. Plus the Alienware doesn't have bear that label. It's just Dell claiming an not further specified 1000 nits peak brightness, but they officially only have the VESA Display HDR True Black 400 certification from what I can find.

8 hours ago, Andrewtst said:

Ignoring user feedback with proof but instead you can't proof anything beside keep using reviewer data not your own.

You pretend reviewers measuring or finding something isn't proof. I think people need to carefully distinguish facts/proof (reaches 500 nits in a 10% window, flicker seen on camera, colour accurace of X) from opinions (best gaming monitor ever, best experience etc.). What is, according to you, the difference between a random forum user giving their opinion and a reviewer giving theirs? It's absolutely useful to obtain many reviews, as that builds up the statistics that are necessary to deduce how prevalent issues are, but there is no difference between you measuring your display yourself and a reviewer measuring the same model except production variances, as long as you both use the proper equipment and method.

8 hours ago, Andrewtst said:

Also your assumption on user is ok to this and that issue. You ok not means you can assume others people same as you. 

Then you must agree you can also not assume these personal experiences hold much weight, as you can't assume other people are the same as you.

The point of a good review is that you don't have to get your own data and that you can rely on someone with the proper equipment and knowledge obtaining the data. They then present their data for your interpretation and perhaps give their opinion. The rest is up to you to decide on by considering your personal preferences and use case.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 hours ago, tikker said:

Which standard is that from (just curious)? VESA's DisplayHDR 1000 certification only requires 1000 nits over a 10% window, not 50-100%. Plus the Alienware doesn't have bear that label. It's just Dell claiming an not further specified 1000 nits peak brightness, but they officially only have the VESA Display HDR True Black 400 certification from what I can find.

You pretend reviewers measuring or finding something isn't proof. I think people need to carefully distinguish facts/proof (reaches 500 nits in a 10% window, flicker seen on camera, colour accurace of X) from opinions (best gaming monitor ever, best experience etc.). What is, according to you, the difference between a random forum user giving their opinion and a reviewer giving theirs? It's absolutely useful to obtain many reviews, as that builds up the statistics that are necessary to deduce how prevalent issues are, but there is no difference between you measuring your display yourself and a reviewer measuring the same model except production variances, as long as you both use the proper equipment and method.

Then you must agree you can also not assume these personal experiences hold much weight, as you can't assume other people are the same as you.

The point of a good review is that you don't have to get your own data and that you can rely on someone with the proper equipment and knowledge obtaining the data. They then present their data for your interpretation and perhaps give their opinion. The rest is up to you to decide on by considering your personal preferences and use case.

He/She die die said OLED won't flickering, I got one OLED also flickering and naked eye can notice it.

I own Asus VivoBook 15 OLED and I can seen screen flickering from time to time, not very often but it happen. 

Simply Google you can get the result OLED screen in Asus laptop do flickering.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1463525

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-screen-of-my-brand-new-Asus-laptop-VivoBook-15-flickering

Even Rtings also highlight this VivoBook 15 OLED is not flicker free. Rtings is very high reputable reviewer right and this review is one of it showing OLED can be flickering. What He/She die die said OLED won't flickering is proof by professional reviewer and also user owner where OLED can be flickering and not always flicker free.

https://www.rtings.com/laptop/reviews/asus/vivobook-15-oled-k513-2021

If you google OLED flickering only, many point out it is due to PWM but He/She insist not related to PWM.

The point of good review is a references, which is same as user own the device opinion. He/She without the device at all but said everything seriously insist, included previously He/She said no differences in between 8-bit and 10-bit and comment like I am placebo. This showing He/She only believe what He/She believe, anything He/She not believe is totally wrong and even ignore all user that actually own the device because He/She believe it won't happen means cannot happen, He/She believe no different means it is no different.

I never said reviewer review statistic is wrong and fake, I also check on review but I also check on user comment, they should be a balance in between, not one side stand. But He/She only one side stand to reviewer and said all user feedback is not true. This is the issue here.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

16 hours ago, MonitorFlicker said:

It is not worth it.

1. It's not a true HDR 1000 monitor that requires at least 850-1150nits in 50%-100% window. It's just a HDR 400 (even less due to ABL) OLED  with gimmick 1-2% window size that reaches 1000nits. You will have frequent ABL in HDR 1000 mode. 

2. Despite other issues, the monitor flickers in way that's not good for the eyes. 

=============Part 1: flickering================

To record the flickering, the camera shutter speed is set below 1/1000.

In the below tests, the monitor flickers. The flickering is not perceptible to human eyes but is very prone to eye strain compared to the traditional DC dimming or high-frequency PWM dimming.

Due to OLED's physical properties, changing the current intensity alone will impact both the brightness and the color accuracy. OLED manufacturers have to use PWM combined with their analog algorithm, aka "emulated DC diming", to display color with moderate brightness control. But OLED still flickers due to the imperfect hybrid implementation.

In this case, AW3423DW is trying to use emulated DC dimming but ends up making a worse result. The flickering frequency is the same as the monitor refresh rate. The frequency is low.

To make things worse, due to the lack of a polarizing layer, it needs to be used with dim ambient light; due to the ABL, its brightness fluctuates. In the particular video, every parry comes with ABL though the camera doesn't show it clearly. Eye strain can happen very quickly in scenes where brightness fluctuates even if the overall brightness is less than 400nits.

The combination of these is commercially in a grey area where whether or not it results in eye damage in long-term use. In general, the flicker is not healthy for the eyes, especially in a dim environment.

The package, the manual, and the Dell website only describe "flicker-free" as far as one of Dell's product features without any indication of a flicker-free TÜV certification.

There is a TÜV certification on Certipedia stating this model was certified for flicker-free. From the description, the panel is specifically mentioned as a flat panel. It can be an early model.

The market trick is that Dell can still trademark their product features as ComfortView that includes only low blue light TÜV certification.

I don't recommend this monitor for the long intensive daily drive if a gamer only uses one monitor in a basement for 3 years.

If you have multiple monitors and tend to replace them every year, this monitor should be probably fine.

=============Part 2: HDR================

Now I talk about HDR: 

HDR 1000 videos are from The Spears and Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark.

This comparison needs at least two exposure settings for accurate HDR comparison in SDR pictures. This is how to compare HDR in SDR mode. 

The exposure is set at ISO 100, shutter speed 1/125, and ISO 100, shutter speed 1/25. 

The middle monitor shows the reference luminance level. When the curves are flattened at a top level, that level is where 1000nits is. 

In the pictures with 1/125 shutter speed, details are preserved on both monitors. In the pictures with 1/25 shutter speed, the details are not preserved but have more pronounced brightness in SDR. The difference regarding relative brightness is represented at both settings though a true HDR 1000 monitor appeared to be overexposed in 1/25 while AW3423DW appears to be dim in 1/125. I expect you can see it in the comparison to know that a true HDR 1000 monitor delivers 2x-3x more luminance, aka more contrast to the eyes, than AW3423DW in some high APL 800nits scenes without losing any details or causing distracting blooming. Therefore, a true HDR monitor delivers more realistic images. In HDR (also in SDR), except fast pixel response, AW3423DW is not at the same level as a true HDR 1000 monitor due to ABL. AW32423DW only looks the same when it displays small window size with a large black background. Also, in these high APL HDR scenes blooming is not noticeable because central object is emitting 1000nits luminance, making edge blooming unnoticeable to the eyes, even to the camera. In average HDR, blooming is not noticeable either unless you actively search for it. 

I have to warn you most people don't know HDR very well. They also don't have both monitors to compare but low brightness OLEDs. I suggest you don't listen to people who don't know how to use a true HDR monitor but a mere 200nits full-field OLED TV. 

OLED is always a mid-tier monitor and it is going to be a mid-tier compared to the FALD LCD. 

Its brightness is struggling. So does its contrast. I mean what I say: The contrast of OLED loses to FALD LCD if the brightness is not enough. The infinite (x/0) contrast of OLED is not the true contrast due to the compromise of brightness. The higher the brightness goes without rising the black level, the more contrast the monitor displays. And FALD LCD has more contrast in this regard. It's also why the premium/flagship product out there is always FALD LCD. Most people don't understand it. 

In some cases, a true HDR monitor with its caliber in SDR 400nits can look even better than AW3423DW in HDR when ABL kicks the OLED below sub 400nits. 

Ture HDR 1000 vs AW3423DW HDR

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

52143852945_5a36a26be5_o_d.png

52142264760_c199dde00e_o_d.png

52142343842_6f3cb9f2d4_o_d.png

52142014859_0a7f795fed_o_d.png

52143385303_7208875797_o_d.png

52142014594_0c075096f2_o_d.png

52143384923_046cb1eb48_o_d.png

52140752337_8b66f9f4bb_o_d.png

52143384458_0b4af235f0_o_d.png

52141795888_3bd5034534_o_d.png

52143850875_8b8925d4c6_o_d.png

52140751867_323a4ee98f_o_d.png

52142341742_8912aac877_o_d.png

52142013684_c671879211_o_d.png

52143603374_24ffda8c32_o_d.png

52140751432_90ccc6bc3d_o_d.png

52142340967_b7675c3513_o_d.png

52140751217_2c16ecca87_o_d.png
52143602539_501ddec421_o_d.png

52141794688_0ce87f8ec3_o_d.png

52143876090_84e44df00f_o_d.png

52141814143_96ab3069d5_o_d.png

52143390966_4c9bb56c38_o_d.png

52142031769_cfc655a19a_o_d.png

52142366212_5954da9c42_o_d.png

52140769637_4fda41ee74_o_d.png

52143628089_20f3394fa2_o_d.png

52140769327_5409406efb_o_d.png

52143874580_e8376e2186_o_d.png

52142280625_587d6e8261_o_d.png

52143407613_6911335712_o_d.png

52140768737_e9674859ab_o_d.png

52143873610_ba56c3fef3_o_d.png

52140768452_fc9f1b7c42_o_d.png

52143873190_50ba6f7bff_o_d.png

52140768072_1aa168657f_o_d.png

52142364017_6bffdecf80_o_d.png

52142279500_e4875f7274_o_d.png

52143405988_ffb60b968a_o_d.png

52141811508_82347c1e50_o_d.png

52143871950_2278306b87_o_d.png

52141811278_c417c8973f_o_d.png

52143625034_510ec364c7_o_d.png

52140766812_56fb08589d_o_d.png

52143624644_9ee393b22c_o_d.png

52140766497_bfebb0e458_o_d.png

52142361952_3b566a3c7f_o_d.png

52140765862_713414ae8c_o_d.png

52143403893_e3334e2e0b_o_d.png

52142277285_389fb1d433_o_d.png

52143385416_f0aa2b41c3_o_d.png

52142027319_c494698042_o_d.png

52143385081_036febbeed_o_d.png

52141808933_4f008ffcbd_o_d.png

52143869345_7238cf7800_o_d.png

52142276350_c40c3e1369_o_d.png

52142360377_34b974e761_o_d.png

52142276025_b5c1272126_o_d.png

52143384036_9cf94a70e9_o_d.png

52141808078_dfd20cf82e_o_d.png

52143621914_4afee905cd_o_d.png

52141807773_323db029d9_o_d.png

52143868075_6e744ba15a_o_d.png

52142275175_87e29c6f96_o_d.png

52142358942_87623ab7cd_o_d.png

52140763242_45f7117509_o_d.png

52143400863_3cfd0c90b0_o_d.png

52140762922_fddd3d2439_o_d.png

52142358282_979ed7c7f3_o_d.png

52141806403_6ed79b6c46_o_d.png

52143381871_737653498d_o_d.png

52142273755_ff529627f1_o_d.png

52143399618_a83de3b1bf_o_d.png

52142273385_5c6e051a2f_o_d.png

52143399163_334bc429bf_o_d.png

52142273070_d283d6543b_o_d.png

52143618989_c13016370a_o_d.png

52141804968_e634a8c062_o_d.png

spacer.png

52141804683_e4ded4cd73_o_d.png

52143864645_fd65f6722c_o_d.png

52142272135_db68a66213_o_d.png

52143864280_b14c9a112d_o_d.png

52142022284_d41b063aaa_o_d.png

52143397373_b62ba6c5cf_o_d.png

52141803678_ef661d8cf3_o_d.png

52143863555_d4b34874c4_o_d.png

52140759927_ab0268f474_o_d.png

52142354852_f15f03b83c_o_d.png

52140759612_c4f6a5862c_o_d.png

52143378426_f906903608_o_d.png

52142270690_3a3146e16e_o_d.png

52143396053_0b148f1d9f_o_d.png

52141802568_83fcd57f5f_o_d.png

52143395693_b173a5f83b_o_d.png

52140758782_a5bfc2fb26_o_d.png

52143395378_157a9c95ce_o_d.png

52141802083_509e0369a5_o_d.png

52143395028_6840cd127e_o_d.png

52141782091_b26bb55fec_o_d.png

52143861090_157b2de4c5_o_d.png

52140757997_558b0c9105_o_d.png

52143375926_313919597b_o_d.png

52142352707_aceb21d985_o_d.png

52141801358_41a1169fdb_o_d.png

52143613849_b4611d0375_o_d.png

52141800808_eb6f68e593_o_d.png

52142350902_44487a67d2_o_d.png

52141801083_aa2022fb71_o_d.png

52143613509_bc824331ac_o_d.png

52142019029_8b1278c349_o_d.png

52143859150_3e929ea09a_o_d.png

52142268255_56b59b482c_o_d.png

52143612009_502dcd2b33_o_d.png

52142268050_3c064261ff_o_d.png

52143611614_317553ac3b_o_d.png

52141799878_5c710af866_o_d.png

52143857780_f943cc0ee0_o_d.png

52142267575_d5b904acc6_o_d.png

52143857350_87f16a718f_o_d.png

52142267320_e7facd9d3f_o_d.png

52143390298_55de5353be_o_d.png

52141779486_bc96289f4b_o_d.png

52142347967_bdbea01cf1_o_d.png

52142266905_eb4be3c61d_o_d.png

52143856045_c3ea8903f4_o_d.png

52141798743_d18aff7af9_o_d.png

52143370821_12f25a7102_o_d.png

52141778751_4ddd4da21e_o_d.png

52143370406_ee820f1159_o_d.png

52141798243_8413de38f3_o_d.png

52142346232_bb81f9c1df_o_d.png

52140754292_42b8efd476_o_d.png

52143854405_47eff26f8b_o_d.png

52141778006_2029927804_o_d.png

52142345447_7e40151e27_o_d.png

YCbCr SDR 400 vs AW3423DW HDR

Reveal hidden contents

52162568017_418e478717_o_d.png

52163599513_f9ebbccf03_o_d.png

52163599801_86c0d42b7d_o_d.png
52163600558_cda286164d_o_d.png

52163845244_470fa6e30d_o_d.png

52162581652_f81e024409_o_d.png

52162584702_2feb69b26a_o_d.png

52164100355_d281a1f867_o_d.png

52163853194_993d8cb958_o_d.png

52162591272_c810f352d0_o_d.png

52163616686_af1cf4c4cd_o_d.png

52163856789_9f3a29ecd5_o_d.png

52163621376_036e817024_o_d.png

52164109080_a4062efc31_o_d.png

52163622981_9b27c35830_o_d.png

52164110295_7130f79059_o_d.png

52163624741_3e4b48f869_o_d.png

52162600327_2d28e250e0_o_d.png

52164115190_683519b035_o_d.png

52163631081_c23d9cc18f_o_d.png

52162606887_c70382bcba_o_d.png

52163631488_41a2798554_o_d.png

52163872514_c0868594d9_o_d.png

IMG_20220619_064011

52163639696_1cf5ab5674_o_d.png

52163639653_5a4ee8ae5b_o_d.png

52164128120_5610855fd2_o_d.png

52163643656_8432506cb0_o_d.png

52163645301_eef6a0c78e_o_d.png

52162620787_fdfdfb51ed_o_d.png

52164133015_a1e328d20f_o_d.png

52164133415_53ba95ba61_o_d.png

52163646413_667f427792_o_d.png

52163885269_a4a5ffde6a_o_d.png

52162626702_0e018c4d61_o_d.png

52163652018_77e4fc0aa1_o_d.png

52164139695_0ffe43beca_o_d.png

52164140550_690f565474_o_d.png

52163892179_cdee075ddc_o_d.png

52163892599_7d8299ca3c_o_d.png

52162631377_5ca5270a93_o_d.png

52163656078_1e7feabdc9_o_d.png

52163896904_557a57e588_o_d.png

52163902214_b6506eb06d_o_d.png

52162641822_563a2db9a1_o_d.png

52163666633_32371ed069_o_d.png

52164156125_365c5ba344_o_d.png

52164156675_b8f159d56f_o_d.png

52162645402_76dfac684c_o_d.png

52162646432_1725f9092e_o_d.png

52163910219_cc7ea2d0bb_o_d.png

52163673106_b27301d11c_o_d.png

52164159985_207a6de829_o_d.png

52162652127_5862350bba_o_d.png

52162653107_8daa321a9c_o_d.png

52163679161_d2af561927_o_d.png

52163686096_fab29b7379_o_d.png

52163685928_ab42c72e21_o_d.png

52163826604_aa73e7eeb0_o_d.png

=============CONSLUSION ================

The OLED or QD-OLED is struggling. Brightness is not enough. And PWM fatigue is more severe because the OLED is trying to use emulated DC dimming but end up making a worse result. The flickers frequency is the same as the monitor refresh rate. The frequency is low. The flicker is not healthy to the eyes especially under a dim environment. My eyes become rather irritated when looking at the monitor. It's not as comfortable compared to other true HDR 1000 monitors even though other monitors are much brighter.

The traditional DC dimming or high frequency PWM won't have the problem and it is safe to use for a long time. And the HDR monitor is going to hit 10,000nits for image quality.

The comparison of the latest QD-OLED vs a 4-year-old FALD 512-zone true HDR 1000 monitor is made to prove this point. 

In order to archive a high-level HDR performance, OLED has to deal with flickering and brightness one way or another. But that won't happen very soon. 

So I suggest you don't buy it. You wait. This monitor won't last even for a short pierid of time considering a better FALD LCD is becoming much cheaper. 

Eh that's not entirely fair. I do absolutely agree that OLED HDR is limited and should not be used as a sole indicative of HDR performance (ala Hardware Unboxed way) 

But it does have its strenght and weakenss. Even the best of FALD (aka mini-LED) wil suffer some degree of dark scene overblowning and bloom just like how the OLED will always suffer from the lack of 100 percent screen brightness (which is required for a realistic day time scene.) It may looks great in a bright scene but even the best of the best will either look way too dark in the dark scene or brighten everything up to the unrealistic degree. 

Blooming is actually not a big deal but the different between the bright scene and dark scene is pretty much what defined the strenghts and weakness of an OLED vs LCD. It's just the matter of what will you choose to compromise. And for pure media consumption/gaming display I can see the reason why a lot of people would likely to choose the OLED compromise over LCD. I would personally pick the versatility of LCD over OLED but that's just me and my use case, everyone have their priority.

Just like I had always been critical of Tim from Hardware Unboxed for advertising the strenght of OLED as the ultimate HDR experience, I would also have to criticise anyone who claim the same with FALD. There's no best solution when it comes to HDR, it's just which one suite you more than others.

*all of the images were taken from this video, he does explain the technicality of the camera and the technique he used to captured the images and its limitation but the picture does correspond to what he described them

Dell_AW3423DW-pixel-063327b5cb360e63.png

4 hours ago, Andrewtst said:

He/She die die said OLED won't flickering, I got one OLED also flickering and naked eye can notice it.

I own Asus VivoBook 15 OLED and it is brand new and I can seen screen flickering from time to time, not very often but it happen. 

Simply Google you can get the result OLED screen in Asus laptop do flickering.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1463525

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-screen-of-my-brand-new-Asus-laptop-VivoBook-15-flickering

Even Rtings also highlight this VivoBook 15 OLED is not flicker free. Rtings is very high reputable reviewer right and this review is one of it showing OLED can be flickering. What He/She die die said OLED won't flickering is proof by professional reviewer and also user owner where OLED can be flickering and not always flicker free.

https://www.rtings.com/laptop/reviews/asus/vivobook-15-oled-k513-2021

If you google OLED flickering only, many point out it is due to PWM but He/She insist not related to PWM.

That's in a different thread I think? I don't see much of that here. Some seem to use PWM and others don't from what I can find. I guess it's up to the product in that case. I'm not here to debate that.

The point of good review is a references, which is same as user own the device opinion. He/She without the device at all but said everything seriously insist, included previously He/She said no differences in between 8-bit and 10-bit and comment like I am placebo. This showing He/She only believe what He/She believe, anything He/She not believe is totally wrong and even ignore all user that actually own the device because He/She believe it won't happen means cannot happen, He/She believe no different means it is no different.

They both serve as references indeed, but a balanced review generally tries to highlight both good and bads without taking too much of a stance either way. It's perfectly fine to use reputable reviews to defend a point even if you don't own the device. That's the point of a review. If multiple reputable reviews confirm or not confirm an issue, then it's a safe assumption that is correct. If a disproportionate amount of people start complaining about some issue then yeah it warrants a revisit or deeper investigation

I never said reviewer review statistic is wrong and fake, I also check on review but I also check on user comment, they should be a balance in between, not one side stand. But He/She only one side stand to reviewer and said all user feedback is not true. This is the issue here.

I don't see that being said. Only that reputable reviewers get more trust than random forum people. I don't think that's a bad thing. Statistics I was referring to this

15 hours ago, Andrewtst said:

Did you ever know statistic data not means always it is the output on experience?

Statistics do reflect the experience and both bad and good experiences are necessary for it. The issue with user statistics is that you disporportionately hear about the bad ones compared to the good ones. If you read 100 bad reviews you'd probably wonder if it's a bad product, but if there are a million people with no issues that don't leave a review, those 100 bad ones will not be representative of the experience.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

18 minutes ago, tikker said:

That's in a different thread I think? I don't see much of that here. Some seem to use PWM and others don't from what I can find. I guess it's up to the product in that case. I'm not here to debate that.

They both serve as references indeed, but a balanced review generally tries to highlight both good and bads without taking too much of a stance either way. It's perfectly fine to use reputable reviews to defend a point even if you don't own the device. That's the point of a review. If multiple reputable reviews confirm or not confirm an issue, then it's a safe assumption that is correct. If a disproportionate amount of people start complaining about some issue then yeah it warrants a revisit or deeper investigation

I don't see that being said. Only that reputable reviewers get more trust than random forum people. I don't think that's a bad thing. Statistics I was referring to this

Statistics do reflect the experience and both bad and good experiences are necessary for it. The issue with user statistics is that you disporportionately hear about the bad ones compared to the good ones. If you read 100 bad reviews you'd probably wonder if it's a bad product, but if there are a million people with no issues that don't leave a review, those 100 bad ones will not be representative of the experience.

Not all in this thread, it is from multiple thread related to Display.

Statistic is not a bad thing and I always agreed but it need to be in balance, he/she said only trust on reviewer and not the user that having it as to him/her user comment is not trusted at all.

I am also one of the user own 2 OLED display and it is proof OLED can be flickering. Also he/she said 8-bit and 10-bit had no different is very serious thing.

I am also not here for defends either. 😊

13 hours ago, e22big said:

But it does have its strenght and weakenss. Even the best of FALD (aka mini-LED) wil suffer some degree of dark scene overblowning and bloom just like how the OLED will always suffer from the lack of 100 percent screen brightness (which is required for a realistic day time scene.) It may looks great in a bright scene but even the best of the best will either look way too dark in the dark scene or brighten everything up to the unrealistic degree.  

Blooming is actually not a big deal but the different between the bright scene and dark scene is pretty much what defined the strenghts and weakness of an OLED vs LCD. It's just the matter of what will you choose to compromise. And for pure media consumption/gaming display I can see the reason why a lot of people would likely to choose the OLED compromise over LCD. I would personally pick the versatility of LCD over OLED but that's just me and my use case, everyone have their priority.

You were mainly talking about Samsung's display, right? What you experienced is the result of Samsung's miniLED along with its ABL, making a 2% window blow 2000nits and a 50% window below 500nits in HDR.

An example is NEO G9, NEO G8; and TVs from Samsung. Though monitors have higher standards than TVs in general, neither NEO G9 nor NEO G8 has VESA Display HDR 1000 certification. When the brightness drops below 500nits in 50% window, it will be embarrassing a VESA HDR600 monitors looks better in the same situation.  

This is much less an issue on other monitors with LEDs or miniLEDs with sustained/accurate brightness without ABL from Qisda/Benq. 

An example is PG27UQ/X27, PG35VQ/X35, and PG32UQX. 

This is not an issue from Sony reference BVM-HX310 that does 1000nits full-field. 

Samsung needs to do some catch-ups. Its miniLED is not that good, or it won't implement ABL to prolong the miniLED lifespan of its mere 1-year warranty or search for a lesser VDE HDR certificate instead of the more strict VESA that requires at least 30 minutes of sustained brightness.

In comparison, OLED cannot catch up easily. I already said the infinite (x/0) contrast of OLED is not the true contrast due to the compromise of brightness. The higher the brightness goes without rising the black level, the more contrast the monitor displays. If you add 0.002 nits (X/0.002) to measure contrast in a realistic usage instead of 0 nits. Then FALD LCD can easily have 1million:1 contrast with its 1000nits more brightness. That is enough for manufacturers to favor FALD LCD as the top-tier products instead of OLED despite the blooming effect. The future is FALD LCD I guess. 

16 hours ago, Andrewtst said:

i mean u were recommending non-oled, or non-fald screens to other users as hdr monitors, that's worse than 8bit imho

not trying to get personal, as i tend to just ignore and agree to disagree, but recommending a g7/old g9 with 65% rec2020 coverage as a hdr monitor is just ridiculous.

To sum up the problems coming up over and over again (for others as it's getting loaded)

oled+fald vs other "hdr" displays

8bit/10bit

potential oled pwm/flickering problem for users that notice/experience eye strains/headaches

blooming

subpixel layout

color gamut

I'm now leaning toward not ordering a AW3423DW until i can physically see one in store (fat chance)

With the x27 discontinued, personally getting a headache from black smearing, the pg32uqx not being a true 120hz display without ghosting, my options for a smaller hdr display is down to the pa32ucg, which is ridiculous.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 hour ago, MonitorFlicker said:

You were mainly talking about Samsung's display, right? What you experienced is the result of Samsung's miniLED along with its ABL, making a 2% window blow 2000nits and a 50% window below 500nits in HDR.

An example is NEO G9, NEO G8; and TVs from Samsung. Though monitors have higher standards than TVs in general, neither NEO G9 nor NEO G8 has VESA Display HDR 1000 certification. When the brightness drops below 500nits in 50% window, it will be embarrassing a VESA HDR600 monitors looks better in the same situation.  

This is much less an issue on other monitors with LEDs or miniLEDs with sustained/accurate brightness without ABL from Qisda/Benq. 

An example is PG27UQ/X27, PG35VQ/X35, and PG32UQX. 

This is not an issue from Sony reference BVM-HX310 that does 1000nits full-field. 

Samsung needs to do some catch-ups. Its miniLED is not that good, or it won't implement ABL to prolong the miniLED lifespan of its mere 1-year warranty or search for a lesser VDE HDR certificate instead of the more strict VESA that requires at least 30 minutes of sustained brightness.

In comparison, OLED cannot catch up easily. I already said the infinite (x/0) contrast of OLED is not the true contrast due to the compromise of brightness. The higher the brightness goes without rising the black level, the more contrast the monitor displays. If you add 0.02 nits (X/0.02) to measure contrast in a realistic usage instead of 0 nits. Then FALD LCD can easily have 1million:1 contrast with its 1000nits more brightness. That is enough for manufacturers to favor FALD LCD as the top-tier products instead of OLED despite the blooming effect. The future is FALD LCD I guess. 

What the heck are you talking about? QN90B is way brighter than any monitor even the PG32UQX doesn't even come close. It has never drop below 600 nit brightness in any windows size and windows and it's getting 800-900 nit in 50 percent window, and max out at near 2000 in a smaller windows. 

It doesn't have VESA HDR1000 because it has HDR2000 (that and VESA HDR doesn't apply to TV, no TV has their own certification system)

QC wise, TV also tends to be better, you just have to look at endless threats of people having trouble with PG32UQX. And even with 1000 nit brightness, an LCD is also limited by its own panel capability, if you have IPS, no matter how good your brightness and local dimming are, you will never archied contrast any more than that of a standard monitor. 

Want to guess how much contrast Predator X27 with 200 local dimming zone and HDR1000 certification can do? It's 1:1300, not one million, not even ten thousands (which is the typical contrast in VA mini LED. That and mini LED and FALD is pretty much the same, it just has more zones in several hundreads to a thousand instead of a few dozen.

*1st image is from QN90B, second is from Predator X27 - which does have HDR1000 

17 minutes ago, e22big said:

image.png.49b7a886dcd5b36b98a00e037ba3918c.png

When it is over 25% window, PG32UQX is already brighter than QN90B. 10% window size is meant for the VDE HDR 2000 benchmark that doesn't require sustained brightness. If you compare them in The Spears and Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark.mastered for HDR 2000, PG32UQX is more impressive I'm afraid. When the HDR video average brightness is at 800nits, QN90B might not even look as good as a VESA HDR 1000 monitor. 

Also, the contrast doesn't stay 1300:1 tested at 100nits with FALD disabled in SDR. When FALD is enabled and the brightness rises, the contrast will increase dramatically. It's a million:1 at 1000nits. 

The above will be enough to indicate the importance of sustained brightness of miniLED. Samsung doesn't have the sustained brightness. 

4 hours ago, xg32 said:

i mean u were recommending non-oled, or non-fald screens to other users as hdr monitors, that's worse than 8bit imho

not trying to get personal, as i tend to just ignore and agree to disagree, but recommending a g7/old g9 with 65% rec2020 coverage as a hdr monitor is just ridiculous.

Which post I recommending non-oled, or non-fald screens?

Also I never recommended this two g7/old g9 as per your comment. I am using Neo G9, what for recommended old G9 as myself already not buying the old G9 means it is not my preferable choice. As for G7 it is 16:9 aspect ratio in curved which I never like as to me curved only nice with immersive feel in 21:9 or 32:9 aspect ratio. If you talk about another G7 which is 4K resolution with 240hz also never my choice as to me 4K is still not a good time to buy especially you are using it for gaming. Current market gaming card is still not really can push up to 240fps in 4K, sometimes 60fps also not possible in certain AAA games with maximum quality setting.

Stahlmann said he/she have been with g7/old g9 and said this two monitor have big issue and should always bring it out, but also didn't recommending this two display as well. No one is recommended it.

Please check again did you quota wrong person? or please read in proper and screenshot show me which post I ever recommended the g7/old g9.

Thank you.

Getting back to the monitors. I definitely don’t play enough games to warrant special refresh rates. Like @MonitorFlickersaid my workflow is definitely 8/1-2hrs so I’m a light gamer. Visual quality accuracy with colors, contrast and brightness range are more important. I just wanted a monitor that’s at least 144hz so I’m not restricted when playing an fps on occasion. @StahlmannIm sure your experience with the AW is true. And I can imagine there’s flickering too for people. Which is why what worries me most about the AW is that its Gen 1…

Reliability is key to my quest here, since this will be a work computer cause I work in game industry remotely… So i don’t want to gamble too much despite their great warranty. 

I haven’t heard anyone talk about the LG UltraGear 34GP950G-B 34.0" 3440x1440 180 Hz Monitor yet, does this mean it’s not in the same league even as the AW QD-OLED and the PG35VQ?

Im open to other monitors besides these three in the 32”-38” range. The Samsungs have a really steep curve which isn’t the best for my work since I need to avoid warping as much as possible. However the Samsung Neo G8 is looking fine as hell. 

2 hours ago, Andrewtst said:

I'm not gonna waste my time going through ur post history, you can pick these kinda arguments on twitter instead

but that was our last interaction, as you are the only person that i've seen to say that FALD or OLED isnt required for hdr.

1 hour ago, BS_ArtStuff said:

i have thee 34GL850-B, the contrast is too low for hdr even with local dimming, and it doesn't have local dimming.

When the AW3423DW launched i was looking for it to completely replace the PG35VQ as the UW HDR monitor . The AW3423DW obviously have many "little" problems, but i still wouldn't go for a PG35VQ afm if that makes sense. The neo g9 has the lowest color gamut of all the monitors mentioned but has FALD, deeper blacks but the image quality will also be off. Unfortunately, if reliability is ur top concern, then the fans in any of these monitor will be a concern, everyone i know with a hdr monitor have dealt with it, and 2 of my friends just went back to non-hdr monitors instead (the 34GL850 and the g7 in sdr mode)

I really do save alot of money too but going with the alienware, just waiting til the backorders go away to make my decision. It's alot of information for just buying a hdr monitor and the different flaws of each makes it a dynamic problem, i think it's down to personal preference and it's better if you can get it in person at a bestbuy so you can return the monitors if there's something your eyes cannot handle, be it crappy hdr, flickering or black smearing.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

2 hours ago, xg32 said:

I'm not gonna waste my time going through ur post history, you can pick these kinda arguments on twitter instead

but that was our last interaction, as you are the only person that i've seen to say that FALD or OLED isnt required for hdr.

Good. This is my last respond to you as well as

you never read in proper and simply feedback on people never said thing.

OLED and FALD never is a requirement, it is better to have but never is a must.

2 hours ago, xg32 said:

i have thee 34GL850-B, the contrast is too low for hdr even with local dimming, and it doesn't have local dimming.

"Even with local dimming and it doesn't have local dimming". What are you talking about, this model don't have local dimming and how you could you use with local dimming.🤣 and later said it don't have local dimming. lol. I have 34GN850-B which is the later version from you and it ain't bad for HDR output, not perfect as they do cannot obtain very bright scenes but just overexpose. 34GN850-B is getting 7.1 scores from Rtings and you said like it is not usable at all.

2 hours ago, xg32 said:

The neo g9 has the lowest color gamut of all the monitors mentioned but has FALD, deeper blacks but the image quality will also be off

Lowest color gamut can make the image quality off. 1st time I ever heard! Seriously!? Wide Color Gamut will impact the image color output not the image quality. The wrong color tone mapping on Neo G9 already solved and it output great now in HDR Gaming. I also had LG C9 OLED TV for comparison.

2 hours ago, xg32 said:

the fans in any of these monitor will be a concern

Sorry for your lost on Predator X27 fans is die, fans die I believe is easier send for repairment, why don't just send for repairment, that one is 4K HDR1000 display with 384 zones local dimming, and you plan downgrade to 1440p? You so concern on numbering, 4K to 1440p is a huge downgrade. You sure you can accept and handle it? I doubt... 😅 

Predator X27 with FALD only scores 7.5 in HDR Gaming which is slightly higher 0.4 scores compare with my LG-34GN850 without Local Dimming 

🤣🤣🤣 Is FALD helping very much in HDR? 

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-34gn850-b-vs-acer-predator-x27-bmiphzx/13261/651?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

32 minutes ago, Andrewtst said:

Lowest color gamut can make the image quality off. 1st time I ever heard! Seriously!? Wide Color Gamut will impact the image color output not the image quality.

Wow you really have no idea what you're talking about. It's baffling, really. If your monitor cannot display the color that is called for from the movie, then you're losing out on image quality. Just like when your monitor cannot display dark details below a certain threshholt because it's missing local dimming.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Wow you really have no idea what you're talking about. It's baffling, really.

That is not call image quality. Color will not impact the image quality, quality is clarity and details.

It will impact the color space output, a very dull or too vibrant is not related to quality.

2 minutes ago, Andrewtst said:

That is not call image quality. Color will not impact the image quality, quality is clarity and details.

It will impact the color output, a very dull or too vibrant is not related to quality.

Where did you pull that definition from?

Color quality and accuracity also is part of the image quality. Everything you can see with your eyes is part of the image quality.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Where did you pull that definition from?

Color quality and accuracity also is part of the image quality. Everything you can see with your eyes is part of the image quality.

Sorry for my mistake on this, I accept on this. Image Quality should cover everything we can see.

3 hours ago, BS_ArtStuff said:

Getting back to the monitors. I definitely don’t play enough games to warrant special refresh rates. Like @MonitorFlickersaid my workflow is definitely 8/1-2hrs so I’m a light gamer. Visual quality accuracy with colors, contrast and brightness range are more important. I just wanted a monitor that’s at least 144hz so I’m not restricted when playing an fps on occasion. @StahlmannIm sure your experience with the AW is true. And I can imagine there’s flickering too for people. Which is why what worries me most about the AW is that its Gen 1…

Reliability is key to my quest here, since this will be a work computer cause I work in game industry remotely… So i don’t want to gamble too much despite their great warranty. 

I haven’t heard anyone talk about the LG UltraGear 34GP950G-B 34.0" 3440x1440 180 Hz Monitor yet, does this mean it’s not in the same league even as the AW QD-OLED and the PG35VQ?

Im open to other monitors besides these three in the 32”-38” range. The Samsungs have a really steep curve which isn’t the best for my work since I need to avoid warping as much as possible. However the Samsung Neo G8 is looking fine as hell. 

Stahlmann did not own the Alienware AW3423DW and never experience with it. Here so far only MonitorFlicker own it.

Here the comparison of LG UltraGear 34GP950G v/s Alienware AW3423DW. LG UltraGear 34GP950G is far behind compare with Alienware AW3423DW except Text Clarity LG win. LG even though have local dimming but it only have 56 zones which is bad and not helping much.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-34gp950g-b-vs-dell-alienware-aw3423dw/21824/31231?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

In general all OLED will perform much much better in HDR and I could said it is the best in normal lighting room.

If you are using at very bright room then the OLED output of brightness could be an issue as it even can't output as normal monitor of 250 cd/m² in SDR. If you set Windows ON HDR and Auto HDR Gaming (Windows 11 feature), it should be very ok and no issue even on bright room.

If Reliability is you main concern, you should avoid any OLED, they is still no guarantee of OLED won't burn-in even on the OQ-OLED and life span on OLED normally is shorten than LCD. Also they is some cases report their Alienware AW3423DW QD-OLED die within 1 ~ 2 months. I can't said how truth this is, only Dell know. But it is increasingly more user feedback on this.

LG UltraGear 34GP950G is still a good choice and great output monitor even for HDR content if you are not too demand like some people on numbering and also if you are not play in dark room as it is IPS and the IPS common issue on dark room will be very obvious and distracting.

1 hour ago, Andrewtst said:

Good. This is my last respond to you as well as

you never read in proper and simply feedback on people never said thing.

OLED and FALD never is a requirement, it is better to have but never is a must.

"Even with local dimming and it doesn't have local dimming". What are you talking about, this model don't have local dimming and how you could you use with local dimming.🤣 and later said it don't have local dimming. lol. I have 34GN850-B which is the later version from you and it ain't bad for HDR output, not perfect as they do cannot obtain very bright scenes but just overexpose. 34GN850-B is getting 7.1 scores from Rtings and you said like it is not usable at all.

Lowest color gamut can make the image quality off. 1st time I ever heard! Seriously!? Wide Color Gamut will impact the image color output not the image quality. The wrong color tone mapping on Neo G9 already solved and it output great now in HDR Gaming. I also had LG C9 OLED TV for comparison.

Sorry for your lost on Predator X27 fans is die, fans die I believe is easier send for repairment, why don't just send for repairment, that one is 4K HDR1000 display with 384 zones local dimming, and you plan downgrade to 1440p? You so concern on numbering, 4K to 1440p is a huge downgrade. You sure you can accept and handle it? I doubt... 😅 

Predator X27 with FALD only scores 7.5 in HDR Gaming which is slightly higher 0.4 scores compare with my LG-34GN850 without Local Dimming 

🤣🤣🤣 Is FALD helping very much in HDR? 

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-34gn850-b-vs-acer-predator-x27-bmiphzx/13261/651?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

and there u go, u just said it again, which is just flat out wrong, but to each his own

you should work on ur reading comprehension, i know the 34gn850 doesn't have local dimming, and i meant the contrast is too low either way on non-blacks.

i own both monitors, i'd never use the 34gn850 in hdr , the x27 or the c1 is miles better

are u really going by a 1-10 score on hdr image quality? 🤣, and i'm the one concerend on numbers?

the x27 is out of warranty, and i want to see the AW3423DW in person anyway, the 34gn850 will be on top of it for a 2x uw setup, i won't be the one using it though, as for the 2nd x27, it's also having problems recently, in case it just dies, i'll be replacing it with pa32ucg, but i just don't have the budget atm.

Anyway this will also be my last response on the matter. 

7 minutes ago, xg32 said:

and there u go, u just said it again, which is just flat out wrong, but to each his own

i own both monitors, i'd never use the 34gn850 in hdr , the x27 or the c1 is miles better

are u really going by a 1-10 score on hdr image quality? 🤣, and i'm the one concerend on numbers?

Anyway this will also be my last response on the matter. 

The scores is for you to read, not me. 🤣

The X27 is not better much in general, C1 do is miles better - that I agreed.

1 minute ago, Andrewtst said:

The scores is for you to read, not me. 🤣

The X27 is not better much in general, C1 do is miles better - that I agreed.

i dont look at the scores, i know the image quality is unacceptable without fald in hdr, u are the one looking at the scores.

13 hours ago, MonitorFlicker said:

image.png.49b7a886dcd5b36b98a00e037ba3918c.png

When it is over 25% window, PG32UQX is already brighter than QN90B. 10% window size is meant for the VDE HDR 2000 benchmark that doesn't require sustained brightness. If you compare them in The Spears and Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark.mastered for HDR 2000, PG32UQX is more impressive I'm afraid. When the HDR video average brightness is at 800nits, QN90B might not even look as good as a VESA HDR 1000 monitor. 

Also, the contrast doesn't stay 1300:1 tested at 100nits with FALD disabled in SDR. When FALD is enabled and the brightness rises, the contrast will increase dramatically. It's a million:1 at 1000nits. 

The above will be enough to indicate the importance of sustained brightness of miniLED. Samsung doesn't have the sustained brightness. 

It's clearly stated in the screenshot that a test was done  with FLAD enabled, the they also show the contrast with FALD disabled and that is 800:1. Rting methodology is always to measure at peak brightness for the contrast. But right, if measure only the best case scenario, then PG32UQX could get better but I highly doubt it could beat the TV that already achieved 19000:1 in the same, worst case scenario test (which mean it should be able to archie the same 1 million to 1 as other HDR in the best case at max brightness.) 

Beside while QN90B lose out in 25 percent brightness, it's made up for in 10 percent windows and slower and you could argue that it's not a sustatin brightness (I doubt 25 percent is sustained either) but I don't think 1600 nit vs 1400 nit matter a lot here. 2000 vs 1600 though certainly do, and that's what is needed for bright highlights. 

In any case since these example feature both the scene that required high dynamic range display, bright highlight and max brightness, I doubt the PG32UQX would have shows a different result given the overall characteristic of the monitor. It maybe able to get a lot brighter in 100 percent windows but that's it.

9 hours ago, e22big said:

It's clearly stated in the screenshot that a test was done  with FLAD enabled, the they also show the contrast with FALD disabled and that is 800:1. Rting methodology is always to measure at peak brightness for the contrast. But right, if measure only the best case scenario, then PG32UQX could get better but I highly doubt it could beat the TV that already achieved 19000:1 in the same, worst case scenario test (which mean it should be able to archie the same 1 million to 1 as other HDR in the best case at max brightness.) 

Beside while QN90B lose out in 25 percent brightness, it's made up for in 10 percent windows and slower and you could argue that it's not a sustatin brightness (I doubt 25 percent is sustained either) but I don't think 1600 nit vs 1400 nit matter a lot here. 2000 vs 1600 though certainly do, and that's what is needed for bright highlights. 

In any case since these example feature both the scene that required high dynamic range display, bright highlight and max brightness, I doubt the PG32UQX would have shows a different result given the overall characteristic of the monitor. It maybe able to get a lot brighter in 100 percent windows but that's it.

Rting doesn't have PG32UQX. It's also not measured in 1000nits, it's measured in 100nits. The contrast will rise easily.

In 10% window, the contrast is 100,000:1 

image.thumb.png.8d1c935c2f4b97cf2ac7444373f42971.png

In 100% window, the contrast is easily above 90,0000:1 

image.png.4a7a36af74f55b5082d54d0b47a515c1.png

Also, the brightness is sustained. The miniLEDs are from Qisda/BenQ. You shouldn't have doubted that. 

image.png.31aac6ef3522a0989ef1e96069ffef98.png

If you've seen both displays, knowing what PG32UQX is capable of, you wouldn't have a second doubt about its HDR performance is better than any other Samsung's HDR monitors or TVs with ABL miniLEDs. You put monitors with Qisda/BenQ's miniLED vs Samsung's ABL miniLED side by side, the result will be very much like my comparison pictures.

If you want argue further, open another topic in this forum instead of the original topic about choosing a monitor.