Dell Wireless Adapter can't connect to any wireless network

Chiyawa

This morning, a few hours ago, I received quite many complains from my colleague that they couldn't connect to the office WiFi network. All, surprisingly, uses Dell Wireless Adapter.

I wonder if there's wide spread of Dell Wireless Adapter (which I believe was manufactured by Broadcom) having issues. They downright just don't want to connect to any wireless network (not our office WiFi, phone hotspots, or even their own home WiFi!). All return 'Can't connect to this network' without any other reason. Microsoft Troubleshooter doesn't detect any problem other than 'check your router' stuff.

So far there's no hits in Internet, no news about this. We have a few HR staffs urging me for a solution, and thank goodness they have LAN port which can connect to our network temporary. They, however, need to carry their laptop around because they need to attend meetings (which locates in different room with limited LAN access), so this solution couldn't solve their problem all the way.

Regards,

Chiyawa

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

So far I have tried:

- Restart the system, problem persist

- try reset winsock, problem persist

- reset netsh, problem persist

- restart netsh services, problem persist

Thing I haven't try:

- uninstall driver

What I suspected:

- Driver issue from Dell

- Firmware probably, maybe the signature only last until today

- Windows 10 issue, but no hits so far.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

My guess would be some Windows Update screwed up something with the wireless, maybe it forces some encryption standard the card doesn't support or something like that.

Just now, mariushm said:

My guess would be some Windows Update screwed up something with the wireless, maybe it forces some encryption standard the card doesn't support or something like that.

I see. But usually, our system get their updates from our dedicated Windows Update Sever, and I don't think I have approved any updates for the past 2 weeks. I think there's a possibility there, but I'm still checking. Now I'm trying to uninstall the driver and see if it works.

Update: This even go to as far as DW1506, a wireless card using mini PCI-E slot for the 2012/2013/2014 laptop as well. I thought this only affects M.2 wireless adapters only.

7 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

@Chiyawa

Have you tried restarting the AP(s) or wireless router(s)?

Did, and to no avail as well. The thing is they just outright refuse to connect to any WiFi at all. Not sure what went wrong. Might need to test one of it and reformat Windows and see.

Anyway, an update: Uninstalling the driver doesn't work. Using Microsoft basic driver doesn't work as well. Oh well.

When did the issue start and what was in motion when it happened?

If the issue is multiple clients with various adapters the issue is likely your AP's. If it's a specific client running specific hardware the issue is likely the client, but it doesn't rule out the AP.

I've seen weird crap over the years. Like, a driver update with broadcom wireless NIC's breaking 2.4ghz and roaming. 5ghz worked fine, which made it a Bitch to troubleshoot. Vendor had to send us a custom driver from the tablet maker to get around the problem....after a year of pulling our hair out. Normally it's 5ghz that boinks. 

If you can set the AP to only run 2.4ghz, or create a custom SSID that's only 2.4ghz it would be worth a snort to see what this does.

Also realize there's a nice exploit for wifi networks out there that consists of a watch you can buy for $50 that jams wifi networks causing connections to be refused. However, this would affect all connections to the AP, not specific ones.

On 6/25/2022 at 3:44 AM, wseaton said:

When did the issue start and what was in motion when it happened?

22nd June 2022.

If the issue is multiple clients with various adapters the issue is likely your AP's. If it's a specific client running specific hardware the issue is likely the client, but it doesn't rule out the AP.

6 machines can't connect to any WiFi at all. Tried 2.4GHz, 5GHz to no avail. All using Dell Wireless Adapter (various model, Qualcomm Atheros Y9108, Dell Wireless 1540 (I believe it's Broadcomm)),

I've seen weird crap over the years. Like, a driver update with broadcom wireless NIC's breaking 2.4ghz and roaming. 5ghz worked fine, which made it a Bitch to troubleshoot. Vendor had to send us a custom driver from the tablet maker to get around the problem....after a year of pulling our hair out. Normally it's 5ghz that boinks.

I see. I'll check if there's other issues from other website. So far, Dell doesn't say anything, no other news indicate that there's issue with this model or any Dell Wireless Adapter of any sort, so I'm still looking.

If you can set the AP to only run 2.4ghz, or create a custom SSID that's only 2.4ghz it would be worth a snort to see what this does.

Most of our office WiFi were set to 2.4GHz except a few specific location which set to 5GHz. We try both frequency, Windows can't connect at all, not even mobile hotspots from a huge collection of mobile phones (ranging from phone that support 3G to the latest 5G phone)

Also realize there's a nice exploit for wifi networks out there that consists of a watch you can buy for $50 that jams wifi networks causing connections to be refused. However, this would affect all connections to the AP, not specific ones.

Hmm... I see. But I don't think this is the case. Only system with Dell wireless adapter affected by this. Dell Latitude E6X40 and Dell Latitude 3570 with Dell Wireless Adapter are the only one that affected.