Daughter's new build: Mouse/keyboard freezes every few seconds. Clueless.

DCCFan

Hey all, hope someone can help. Having trouble with my daughter's mouse. I know it's not the mouse itself because it was in my son's PC and it was working well. Tried two mice so far and they both get stuck every few secs. The keyboard is also getting stuck on random keys, like I just wrote the letter D and it appeared 9 times. Other keys do not appear at all and need to be retyped. Is this driver related? I already uninstalled the mouse's driver to no avail 😞

I also noticed that one of the fans revs up and down w too often, maybe the CPU fan, but that's probably unrelated right? Has to do with the fan curve or something? Will have to troubleshoot this too. 

Other than this, the PC is fast. She's been playing Roblox and it works well despite me having given her the R7 250 as a GPU while I get her her own GPU. Temps reached 64C while gaming. 

Specs:

5600x w/ AMD heatsink

R7 250 GPU (temporary solution that I had lying around, will try and get the 6700XT)

2x8gb DDR4 3600

Asus B550-E

Drive C: Hynix BC711 NVMe drive 256gb (this drive is 2230 format but I was able to install it using the motherboard's included heatsink)

Drive D: WD Blue 1tb HDD

PSU Corsair CX650F 

Corsair Airflow case w/ 6 fans

There is the mouse and the mouse driver.  They may be different.  Also the mouse and the keyboard may be conflicting.  Are they on the same header?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Hi Bombastinator! The mouse and Keyboard are side by side in the rear IO. I moved them just now to other USB ports and they seem to be working better. I will try typing a long email to check Lol. Seems like the mouse is better too. Although I noticed that when I pressed F2 and went to BIOS the mouse was super laggy, almost unusable. It recovered after exiting BIOS. Is that normal?

Edit: I may have spoken too soon. It seems the mouse is still freezing a bit 😕

45 minutes ago, DCCFan said:

Hi Bombastinator! The mouse and Keyboard are side by side in the rear IO. I moved them just now to other USB ports and they seem to be working better. I will try typing a long email to check Lol. Seems like the mouse is better too. Although I noticed that when I pressed F2 and went to BIOS the mouse was super laggy, almost unusable. It recovered after exiting BIOS. Is that normal?

Edit: I may have spoken too soon. It seems the mouse is still freezing a bit 😕

Moving just one of them may solve any issue.  It’s a cheap easy thing to try anyway.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

sounds like the system is starting to overheat, you might need to a) blow out the dust from the system b) redo the thermal paste c) new hdd/ ssd

i only say this as this is what was required for my sons computer

after a and b my sons computer was still playing up as you experience ..... replaced the kingston 128gb ssd  with an Nvme Crucial 500gb and havent had a problem since

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

7 hours ago, cretsiah said:

sounds like the system is starting to overheat, you might need to a) blow out the dust from the system b) redo the thermal paste c) new hdd/ ssd

after a and b my sons computer was still playing up as you experience ..... replaced the kingston 128gb ssd  with an Nvme Crucial 500gb and havent had a problem since

This is a valid point.  Drives start to have problems if they’re more than 80% full, and if there is dust buildup it creates cooling efficiency problems.  I don’t normally associate the kind of problems you are describing with heat issues, the drive thing is possible though.  Overstuffed drives can produce weird results. 

23 hours ago, cretsiah said:

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This is a valid point.  Drives start to have problems if they’re more than 80% full, and if there is dust buildup it creates cooling efficiency problems.  I don’t normally associate the kind of problems you are describing with heat issues, the drive thing is possible though.  Overstuffed drives can produce weird results. 

Thanks so much! I didn't know this. I was wondering whether it might be the SSD. It's just a bizarre problem. The sssssssssssssssssssystem (this is how the keyboard behaves) is new so there's probably no dust, but the SSD is not nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnew, it's a puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuull (UGH LoL). They advertised it as a new pull from a Dell notebook. Seems to be fast, Only thing is its format is 2230, doesn't really fit this mobo, it's being held down by the heatsink. Should try booting without it? 

I'm using core temp for the CPU and it's showing 40-43 while browsing and max temp today was 67 while gaming. Are these temps too high? maybe I will use an aftermarket cooler. 

Weird is when PC is first turned on the keyboard seems to work OK. It's after a while it gets bad. So you mightttttttttttttttttttt be onto something  about temps. 🤔

3 hours ago, DCCFan said:

Thanks so much! I didn't know this. I was wondering whether it might be the SSD. It's just a bizarre problem. The sssssssssssssssssssystem (this is how the keyboard behaves) is new so there's probably no dust, but the SSD is not nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnew, it's a puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuull (UGH LoL). They advertised it as a new pull from a Dell notebook. Seems to be fast, Only thing is its format is 2230, doesn't really fit this mobo, it's being held down by the heatsink. Should try booting without it? 

I'm using core temp for the CPU and it's showing 40-43 while browsing and max temp today was 67 while gaming. Are these temps too high? maybe I will use an aftermarket cooler. 

Weird is when PC is first turned on the keyboard seems to work OK. It's after a while it gets bad. So you mightttttttttttttttttttt be onto something  about temps. 🤔

Sticky keys are classically caused by food particles or dust between the keys. A can of dust-off or a compressor if you have one around, may fix it.  Canned air is cheap if you don’t though.  They keys may or may not be removable.  Depends on the model.

booting without the over-long m.2 drive may solve the issue simply because laptops tend to be over engineered and it may actually be blocking airflow ignoring whether there might be other problems.  Dell has tons of experience making prebuilts and they’re known for cutting some bizarre corners.  Works better in laptops than desktops.  The general rule of thumb with Dells is “what you see is what you get”. Modding them often goes badly.  Dell makes office machines.  Stuff that doesn’t get upgraded.

10 hours ago, DCCFan said:

Thanks so much! I didn't know this. I was wondering whether it might be the SSD.

well funny thing is my sons computer had a 128gig kingston and my daughter had a 250gig kingston and both these drives started playing up ....

my sons one came with the computer and it was second hand ( at the time thought it was a steal for a ryzen 5 3400G 16gig ram for $450 ) so no idea how old it was, my daughters one however was only about 18 months when it started doing weird things (it was replaced with a seagate 500gig ssd )

call me paranoid if you like but this bad luck with the kingston drives has put me right off of them  

even funnier was the kingston SD card that was getting hot enough to cook eggs 🤣😂 

20 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Sticky keys are classically caused by food particles or dust between the keys. A can of dust-off or a compressor if you have one around, may fix it.  Canned air is cheap if you don’t though.  They keys may or may not be removable.  Depends on the model.

booting without the over-long m.2 drive may solve the issue simply because laptops tend to be over engineered and it may actually be blocking airflow ignoring whether there might be other problems.  Dell has tons of experience making prebuilts and they’re known for cutting some bizarre corners.  Works better in laptops than desktops.  The general rule of thumb with Dells is “what you see is what you get”. Modding them often goes badly.  Dell makes office machines.  Stuff that doesn’t get upgraded.

So I cleaned an extra keyboard I had and tried it but sadly it did the same thing.  Also took out the Hynix BC711 drive and booted into a HDD that I know works, but no luck either. Right as I was logging into windows the keyboard acted up. Then I cleared CMOS and just turned the PC back on again. So let's hope the ordeal is over LoL

If this doesn't work, should I update BIOS? I googled this issue on the Asus forum and some people were suggesting a BIOS update. Someone also suggested resetting the USB ports and updating their firmware so will keep those options in mind too. 

12 hours ago, cretsiah said:

well funny thing is my sons computer had a 128gig kingston and my daughter had a 250gig kingston and both these drives started playing up ....

my sons one came with the computer and it was second hand ( at the time thought it was a steal for a ryzen 5 3400G 16gig ram for $450 ) so no idea how old it was, my daughters one however was only about 18 months when it started doing weird things (it was replaced with a seagate 500gig ssd )

call me paranoid if you like but this bad luck with the kingston drives has put me right off of them  

even funnier was the kingston SD card that was getting hot enough to cook eggs 🤣😂 

Glad switching the Kingston drive worked for you, I had a bad experience with a Kingston pen drive myself, made me not want to get a Kingston SSD so I went with WD on my last build. But maybe we were just unlucky with the brand haha.

I ended up remounting the Hynix SSD as it seems the issue wasn't with it. If I update BIOS and the problem persists I might just switch to a new heatsink. It's prob not a great heatsink but I have a PCCOOLER one somewhere in the house which is probably enough to cool the 5600x. But hopefully it won't get to that 🙂

50 minutes ago, DCCFan said:

If this doesn't work, should I update BIOS? I googled this issue on the Asus forum and some people were suggesting a BIOS update. Someone also suggested resetting the USB ports and updating their firmware so will keep those options in mind too. 

one would hope that updating the bios/eufi would also update the usb controllers but not guaranteed i spose...

yours happened with with windows, mine on the other hand happened with Linux so that could be a thing i spose to....

for some reason 3-4 of my computers find that windows is not the operating system for them

- AM3+ to old not the right settings in bios

we thought this had blown up but found out, it is what only the graphics card so was rescued by me from son 1 and became my gaming rig

- Ryzen 5 3400G boot loops, graphics issues

was cheap with 16 gig ram, went into lock down and 8yr old needed to do online learning

- Ryzen 5 2600? ( might be 3600 but i dont think it is and its the daughters anyway ) refuses to install

daughters birthday / christmas present

- odd ball laptop which will run linux or chrome but not the original windows 10 that came on it....  wifi causes blue screens, if succesfull for 2 seconds on wifi updates crashes it

given to us because it didnt meet users needs

5 hours ago, DCCFan said:

So I cleaned an extra keyboard I had and tried it but sadly it did the same thing.  Also took out the Hynix BC711 drive and booted into a HDD that I know works, but no luck either. Right as I was logging into windows the keyboard acted up. Then I cleared CMOS and just turned the PC back on again. So let's hope the ordeal is over LoL

Glad switching the Kingston drive worked for you, I had a bad experience with a Kingston pen drive myself, made me not want to get a Kingston SSD so I went with WD on my last build. But maybe we were just unlucky with the brand haha.

I ended up remounting the Hynix SSD as it seems the issue wasn't with it. If I update BIOS and the problem persists I might just switch to a new heatsink. It's prob not a great heatsink but I have a PCCOOLER one somewhere in the house which is probably enough to cool the 5600x. But hopefully it won't get to that 🙂

Bios updates are commonly needed for AMD.  Less so for intel.  AMD needs to do bios updates because it’s the only thing they can affect after the chip is sold and stuff often isn’t tested on AMD systems so they use it to play whack-a-mole with bugs.  If both a Linux and a WINDOWS installs on an identical system are exhibiting the same problem the commonality is bios.

Edited by Bombastinator

On 6/23/2022 at 10:23 PM, cretsiah said:

one would hope that updating the bios/eufi would also update the usb controllers but not guaranteed i spose...

yours happened with with windows, mine on the other hand happened with Linux so that could be a thing i spose to....

for some reason 3-4 of my computers find that windows is not the operating system for them

- AM3+ to old not the right settings in bios

we thought this had blown up but found out, it is what only the graphics card so was rescued by me from son 1 and became my gaming rig

- Ryzen 5 3400G boot loops, graphics issues

was cheap with 16 gig ram, went into lock down and 8yr old needed to do online learning

- Ryzen 5 2600? ( might be 3600 but i dont think it is and its the daughters anyway ) refuses to install

daughters birthday / christmas present

- odd ball laptop which will run linux or chrome but not the original windows 10 that came on it....  wifi causes blue screens, if succesfull for 2 seconds on wifi updates crashes it

given to us because it didnt meet users needs

On 6/24/2022 at 3:30 AM, Bombastinator said:

Bios updates are commonly needed for AMD.  Less so for intel.  AMD needs to do bios updates because it’s the only thing they can affect after the chip is sold and stuff often isn’t tested on AMD systems so they use it to play whack-a-mole with bugs.  If both a Linux and a WINDOWS installs on an identical system are exhibiting the same problem the commonality is bios.

Hey folks! seems it got corrected by just clearing CMOS. Putting this out there in case someone else has the same issue. Next step I would have probably updated BIOS so if it starts acting up again I might go that route. It's possible this was some kind of bug.

Cretsiah, are you still running AM3? My personal rug has the Athlon II x4 😆 People were telling me to just throw it away but I'm pretty happy with its performance after giving it some more RAM and a discrete GPU (it used to run on board graphics). It was one of those eMachines prebuilts with only 4 gigs of ram and a dual core CPU. Could barely load most webpages until it got the upgrades. Now it can run most PC games from up until 2015 or so which for me is enough LoL

4 minutes ago, DCCFan said:

Hey folks! seems it got corrected by just clearing CMOS. Putting this out there in case someone else has the same issue. Next step I would have probably updated BIOS so if it starts acting up again I might go that route. It's possible this was some kind of bug.

Cretsiah, are you still running AM3? My personal rug has the Athlon II x4 😆 People were telling me to just throw it away but I'm pretty happy with its performance after giving it some more RAM and a discrete GPU (it used to run on board graphics). It was one of those eMachines prebuilts with only 4 gigs of ram and a dual core CPU. Could barely load most webpages until it got the upgrades. Now it can run most PC games from up until 2015 or so which for me is enough LoL

That’s a bit crazy.  Or not, depending on how old it is.  My machine is from 2014 and I was playing BL3 at 60fps on it just today. Something say 2008 though it might be time.

6 hours ago, DCCFan said:

Cretsiah, are you still running AM3?

yep its all i got

so some of my games are now pushing their luck to run

- space engineers

- euro and american trucking sims

the others belong to the kids 😔

On 6/30/2022 at 8:37 PM, Bombastinator said:

That’s a bit crazy.  Or not, depending on how old it is.  My machine is from 2014 and I was playing BL3 at 60fps on it just today. Something say 2008 though it might be time.

Yeah I'll probably donate it next year as it's still good for office and school work. For gaming, it's getting a bit slow. It helps I am older so I play stuff from the mid 2000's a lot. Have not played borderlands yet but it looks good. Last game I played was Sniper Ghost warrior 3 on my son's PC tho. 

On 7/1/2022 at 3:11 AM, cretsiah said:

yep its all i got

so some of my games are now pushing their luck to run

- space engineers

- euro and american trucking sims

the others belong to the kids 😔

I just realized your specs areon your signature, your PC must be pretty fast compared to mine though. I only have 8 gigs of ram haha. But it's enough for oldies and watching movies. Yeah sims must be tough to run. When I want to play something more intensive I go on my kids' PC's.

Btw if you guys/gals want to play sometime I have my steam handle on my profile 🙂

10 hours ago, DCCFan said:

I just realized your specs areon your signature,

lol ... im hoping in the next 18 months i can scrounge some money for an updated system ...... then retire this into a server .... but hopes and dreams dont always come true, just have to wait and see what life throws at us in the meantime