Monitor Keeps Turning Off

AdvocateOfNyx
Go to solution Solved by Ada1,

RMA if you can otherwise get a new one. There is a faulty hardware component in the monitor if you already ruled out cable (a cable can work with one or two internal connectors malfunctioning but will display anomulous behaviour like this)

This is my friends monitor, but he doesn't have an account here and I am helping him troubleshoot.  He says this happens when the monitor is left off for multiple days at a time, and sometimes overnight but it's not as bad.  After being off, when turned on part of the screen does not work, and the monitor eventually turns itself off.  (Shown in attached video)

Usually this is fixed by powercycling the monitor and PC until it eventually works.  Typically, this takes about 10 minutes, but this time it has been broken for multiple hours and nothing seems to help.  

First page on Google led me to think it might be capacitors, it makes sense based on it happening after being off for a long time but I am honestly not sure.  If anyone has any ideas about what could be happening, please let me know!

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

So a heat in the monitor thing.  I’m assuming this can’t be returned?  If so a possible work around would be to not turn it off and use a screensaver to keep it running. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So a heat in the monitor thing.  I’m assuming this can’t be returned?  If so a possible work around would be to not turn it off and use a screensaver to keep it running. 

I am not 100% sure by what you mean by a heat in the monitor thing.  Could you explain that please?  No it cannot be returned sadly.

Yeah that is his current solution.  A black image fullscreened so the monitor doesn't turn off or just leaving it on the desktop when he leaves.  Just really sucks when the power goes out or something and he was hoping someone would have a solution even though I said it's almost certainly a hardware issue.

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

RMA if you can otherwise get a new one. There is a faulty hardware component in the monitor if you already ruled out cable (a cable can work with one or two internal connectors malfunctioning but will display anomulous behaviour like this)

It appears to work poorly when cold.  I concur with @Ada1

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.