I need help with 10GBit home internet..

Now. I wanna start off with a simple "I don't know a lot about networking". To put it simply.

I'll be getting myself 10gbit FTTH soon (next few weeks, waiting for contractor) and I'm wanting to put together a setup that works and can utilize the 10gbit Internet.

Yes I mean internet not my LAN.

Some info:

• Location is Switzerland
  • I'll be going with init7 as my ISP with the Fiber7-X plan
  • I'm getting nothing from my ISP, but I do have the option to get hardware if needed from them.
  • Planning to use Fiber instead of Copper-DA
  • I do intend to buy a small-ish server rack to put everything into.
  • Budget is in the neighborhood of 1000$ (or swiss francs, It don't matter too much)
  • I have no interest in WiFi at the moment, but I'd like to add it in the future
  • The OTO (optical termination outlet) will be in the living room and the actual server rack I plan to put in another room entirely to not have any of the heat or noise near me, the run is roughly 30 meters between the OTO and the server rack's location. (without thinking about running it on the walls, so I'd say at-least 50m run if I run it between the two.
  • The ISP recommends this transceiver
  • They also have some info here and here

Some questions I need answered that I'm unsure about:

1. Do I still need a modem nowadays?
  2. What in terms of router/modem do I need to get it working? (I was thinking of getting a UDM Pro, but am option to options)
  3. What cables are required?
  4. What transceivers are required?
  5. Is there something to know about 10gbit internet that I might not think of? / Did I forget something critical?

I mean whats the point of your lan not having access to 10gbit when you have 10gbit internet? Then I really don't see the point at all in this.

1. you still need a modem to recieve the signal

2. Anything that can interface with your isps connection and is 10Gbit so basically their fiber 7 x2 stuff

3. Cat 6. Normal copper cat 6 can do this. If you get their standard non rack fancy router you can just use cat 6.

4. Nothing if you use copper

5. That its really fast and for a home user (sounds like you are) it makes little sense to have it? Even for someone with a homelab there is no need for it really.

With just the DPI (app identification, IP tracking, etc) and no IPS/IDS features of the firewall enabled on the UDM Pro you're going to max out around 7-8Gbit per their data sheet. With the full set of firewall features turned on you're down to about 3.5Gbps. Not sure how the features allow you to mix and match but basically if you just want it to not be a firewall and not block attacks then you'll get about 8Gbps but if you want that enabled you're looking at much less throughput.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 hours ago, Unbr34k4bl3 said:

Some questions I need answered that I'm unsure about:

1. Do I still need a modem nowadays?
  2. What in terms of router/modem do I need to get it working? (I was thinking of getting a UDM Pro, but am option to options)
  3. What cables are required?
  4. What transceivers are required?
  5. Is there something to know about 10gbit internet that I might not think of? / Did I forget something critical?

1) Fiber doesnt use a modem per say. Without knowing how the ISP is going to hook this up there are two methods we use in the US with Fiber ISP's. First is the just a standard media converter, generally supplied by the ISP offers Fiber in and Copper out. I think Comcast offers a media converter with Fiber out. The other method is a gateway box that does the media converter and router. 

2) Your biggest issue is you need equipment that can do 10 Gbps NAT. Thats not going to be an easy task im afraid. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 6/19/2022 at 10:09 PM, jaslion said:

I mean whats the point of your lan not having access to 10gbit when you have 10gbit internet? Then I really don't see the point at all in this.

The idea is to never be contended at the ISP side so you'll never have bufferfloat/latency problems.  Its a bit overkill at 10Gbit but for the absolute best experience you should always have more bandwidth than you can actually use.  Also remember on FTTH there's a good chance that 10Gbit is shared with 63+ other customers, so it wont all be available all the time anyway.

The same principle as gaming really, in an ideal world your PC would always be slightly more powerful than the games you play need so you will always get the maximum frame rate with no stutters, its just generally not possible to achieve that.  But if you could and its affordable, why wouldn't you?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 6/19/2022 at 11:21 PM, Lurick said:

With just the DPI (app identification, IP tracking, etc) and no IPS/IDS features of the firewall enabled on the UDM Pro you're going to max out around 7-8Gbit per their data sheet. With the full set of firewall features turned on you're down to about 3.5Gbps. Not sure how the features allow you to mix and match but basically if you just want it to not be a firewall and not block attacks then you'll get about 8Gbps but if you want that enabled you're looking at much less throughput.

As I said. I'm open. IF you have better ideas on how to handle it. I'm open to suggestions on the hardware side as long as it's supported.

22 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The idea is to never be contended at the ISP side so you'll never have bufferfloat/latency problems.  Its a bit overkill at 10Gbit but for the absolute best experience you should always have more bandwidth than you can actually use.  Also remember on FTTH there's a good chance that 10Gbit is shared with 63+ other customers, so it wont all be available all the time anyway.

The same principle as gaming really, in an ideal world your PC would always be slightly more powerful than the games you play need so you will always get the maximum frame rate with no stutters, its just generally not possible to achieve that.  But if you could and its affordable, why wouldn't you?

Actually with this ISP I do get a seperate "line", probably frequency. Ergo they guaranteed 10gbit 99.99% of the time. Very few times it can dip, but not because they're limiting it.
How they do it I didn't bother asking. They're chill tho. I know a few lads IRL who work there.

On 6/19/2022 at 11:09 PM, jaslion said:

1. you still need a modem to recieve the signal

2. Anything that can interface with your isps connection and is 10Gbit so basically their fiber 7 x2 stuff

3. Cat 6. Normal copper cat 6 can do this. If you get their standard non rack fancy router you can just use cat 6.

4. Nothing if you use copper

5. That its really fast and for a home user (sounds like you are) it makes little sense to have it? Even for someone with a homelab there is no need for it really.

I'm sorry could you elaborate on your "LAN not having access to 10gbit". I never stated that it doesn't. Cause I don't have any network at all atm. I'l trying to build around 10gbit FTTH internet cause I can and want to. I find it fun to be on the extreme side of things. And I'm finally in my own place. So I finally am capable of figuring out my own network. So I wanna do it properly and want to future proof it for any NAS I plan to get (such as a NAS I'm planning as my steam-library) and any other computing I might do at home on my network.

So in this case, let me ask further:
In what case do we still talk about a router? as long as it connects to their WAN? Please elaborate.

I try to not go copper. I'm not personally a fan of it. I'm happy to pay a little more for fiber. Money isn't an issue. (Though DirectAttach Copper seems to be really expensive apparently? Not sure if I did my calculations correctly but someone else had a look over them and agreed that DA Copper is more expensive for what I'm trying do get done.

The last point: Ofc there's no need, but it's the same price for 1gbit, 10gbit, and 25 gbit. 10gbit seems reasonable enough that I can achieve it so.. why not? I linked my ISP above. You can check the prices yourself. I see literally no downside even the single time fee is the same. And sure 1gbit is much easier. Why the hell not go 10gbit for a one-time fee. I'm failing to see what you're trying to say other than "it's dumb cause I think it's dumb". There's realistically no good reason to say no. Even if I pay 800$ once. I can afford it. My budget allows for it.

To further elaborate on this post. I want to stick to fiber for various reasons. Though those reasons are probably arbitrary. Either way. I'd appreciate it if we stuck to fiber all together.